- Free From Stanford: Ethical and Social Issues in Natural Language Processing - Jul 17, 2020.
Perhaps it's time to take a look at this relatively new offering from Stanford, Ethical and Social Issues in Natural Language Processing (CS384), an advanced seminar course covering ethical and social issues in NLP.
- SIGKDD Community Impact Program (Deadline Jun. 15) - Mar 27, 2020.
SIGKDD is announcing a funding opportunity through its Community Impact Program.The goal of the program is to support projects that promote data science and help the data science community to grow, broaden, and diversify. Read more here.
- 5 Ways to Apply Ethics to AI - Dec 19, 2019.
Here are six more lessons based on real life examples that I think we should all remember as people working in machine learning, whether you’re a researcher, engineer, or a decision-maker.
- Dusting Under the Bed: Machine Learners’ Responsibility for the Future of Our Society - Dec 13, 2019.
The Machine Learning community must shape the world so that AI is built and implemented with a focus on the entire outcome for our society, and not just optimized for accuracy and/or profit.
- Artificial Friend or Virtual Foe - Dec 5, 2019.
Is AI making more good than harm?
- ICLR 2019 highlights: Ian Goodfellow and GANs, Adversarial Examples, Reinforcement Learning, Fairness, Safety, Social Good, and all that jazz - May 27, 2019.
We provide an overview of the main themes and topics discussed at this years International Conference on Learning Representations (ICLR).
- AI Supporting The Earth - Apr 22, 2019.
To celebrate Earth Day 2019, we explain how Intel is committed to advancing uses of AI that positively impact our world by providing social good organizations with technologies and expertise to accelerate their work.
- How AI can help solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges – and why we might fail - Feb 12, 2019.
AI represents a step change in humanity’s ability to rise to its greatest challenges. We explore three areas in which AI can contribute to the UN’s Global Goals - and why we could fall short.
- Ethics + Data Science: opinion by DJ Patil, former US Chief Data Scientist - Sep 14, 2018.
How much has data changed our lives over the past decade? Former US Chief Data Scientist DJ Patil investigates.
- Should You Ever Volunteer Your Data Skills for Free? - Mar 6, 2018.
The question has probably come up of whether it’s ever okay to offer your data-related knowledge to people or organizations for free. Does taking that approach ever benefit you?
- 3 principles for solving AI Dilemma: Optimization vs Explanation - Feb 14, 2018.
We propose 3 principles for maximizing the benefits of machine learning without sacrificing its intelligence.
- How Nonprofits Can Benefit from the Power of Data Science - Jan 3, 2018.
Nonprofits can use analytics to boost their fundraising efforts, measure and monitor the impact of their activities, build predictive models, optimize allocation of funds, and more
- KDD Impact Program to support Data Science projects with positive impact on society - Oct 16, 2017.
The KDD Impact Program is looking to fund projects that have potential for a significant impact on society, expand outreach of data science, and strengthen the community, with grants of $10k-$100k for each project. Submission deadline is Dec 1, 2017.
- The new Enigma Public – the platform connecting people to data - Sep 11, 2017.
Public data has tremendous potential and different people can use it to solve variety of problems. Enigma relaunches Enigma Public — the platform connecting people to data.
- Optimism about AI improving society is high, but drops with experience developing AI systems - Jul 21, 2017.
While about 60% of KDnuggets readers think AI and Automation will improve society, the optimism drops significantly among those with 4 or more years experience developing AI systems. Should we pay more attention to the experts?
- New Poll: Will society become better from increased automation, AI, and Machine Learning? - Jul 9, 2017.
What will be the impact on human society and human welfare of increased automation, AI, and Machine Learning? Please vote.
- The Power of Data and Collaboration to Improve Traffic Safety - May 8, 2017.
Datakind, in collaboration with Microsoft, completed significant data-driven projects to improve traffic safety and help save lives in New York City, Seattle, and New Orleans.
- Data for Humanity – Open Letter - Feb 4, 2017.
The letter, signed by many leading computer experts, calls for 5 ethical principles when using data: Do no harm, help create peaceful coexistence, help vulnerable people, preserve and improve natural environment, and help create a fair world without discrimination.
- Academic/Research positions in Business Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning in June 2016 - Jul 5, 2016.
Positions at Center for Data Science and Public Policy at U. Chicago; Business Analytics Lecturer at U. Iowa; IBM Social Good Fellow; Data quality postdoc at McMaster U; Asst. Prof. of Marketing at Yale, and more.
- U. Chicago Center for Data Science and Public Policy: Postdoc in Natural Language Processing - Jun 29, 2016.
Are you interested in using your natural language processing skills to make a social impact? Want to work with the White House and a team from government, academia, and industry to change how job training programs are created all over the US?
- $5 Million for Helping Humanity through Artificial Intelligence - Feb 26, 2016.
IBM Watson A.I. XPRIZE contest will reward $5 million in prize money to the best applications of AI in solving world’s greatest challenges.
- DataKind: Data Scientist, Data Science manager, Senior Insight Manager, and other positions - Feb 23, 2016.
DataKind is looking for enthusiastic, like-minded people to join us in tackling the world's toughest problems with data. Currently hiring for 6 positions, including Data Scientist, Data Science manager, and Senior Insight Manager.
- Where Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science were applied in 2015 - Jan 23, 2016.
Consumer Analytics is still the leading application area for analytics & data mining (although losing its share), followed by Finance, and Banking. Highest growth is in Games, Entertainment/Music, and Social Good/Non-profit applications. 3-year comparison shows surprising stability.
- How Data Science reduces maternal mortality in Mexico - Jan 5, 2016.
Here we look at another project from Chicago University’s Data Science for Social Good (DSSG) Program which helps make the world a better place.
- How Data Science saves lives and helps combat obesity - Jan 4, 2016.
We look at projects from Chicago University Data Science for Social Good (DSSG) Program which help make the world a better place, and in particular at measure to help predict obesity.
Pages: 1 2
- Big Data for Social Good: UC Berkeley and Geisinger Health Collider Project - Oct 17, 2015.
The Geisinger Health Collider Project gives participating students first-hand experience with various techniques, ideas, and challenges stemming from clinical informatics by using real clinical data to address impactful problems in healthcare.
- Five Principles for Applying Data Science for Social Good - Oct 10, 2015.
Well-meaning data scientists often fail to reach their full potential when working for social good. The following 5 principles can help improve this situation.
Pages: 1 2
- Knight News Challenge on Data opens for ideas, apply by Sep 30 - Sep 13, 2015.
The Knight News Challenge on Data open for ideas - apply by Sep 30, propose projects that use data for good to inform and empower people. Winners will receive a share of $3M.
- Data for Humanity: A Request for Support - Jul 25, 2015.
The goal of this initiative is to bring people and institutions together who share the motivation to use Data for Common Good / human well-being. Join many other notable signatories.
- OpenImpact – solve social problems with your data skills - Jul 16, 2015.
Help solve social problems with your data skills - DataLook #openimpact campaign has curated a list of 10 impressive reusable data-driven projects that can help to solve problems in your city.
- U. of Chicago Center for Data Science and Public Policy: Postdoc, Pre-Doctoral, Data Engineer, Data Scientist, and Project Manager - Jul 15, 2015.
Are you interested in using your machine-learning, data-mining, and data science skills to make the world a better place? U. Chicago Center for Data Science and Public Policy has multiple openings.
- The Definitive Guide to doing Data Science for Social Good - Jul 6, 2015.
Are you a data scientist, and looking for the opportunity to use your skill for social good? Here, you can find some of the options available for using the data science skills for well-being of society.
Pages: 1 2
- Big Data for the Common Good “Collider”, at Frankfurt / Berkeley - Apr 1, 2015.
The Frankfurt Big Data Lab and ODBMS.org cooperate with the Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology (CET) at UC Berkeley to enable the creation of project proposals for Big Data for the Common Good.
- How Big Data Can Improve the Lives of the Poor - Mar 31, 2015.
The role of Big Data in allowing greater financial inclusion for the poor also is a trending Internet topic. But it’s mostly creating optimism and interest, rather than controversy and dissent.
- Hot or Not: Data Science Trends in 2015 - Dec 24, 2014.
CrowdFlower infographic predicts the hot trends for data science in 2015 and which trends will fade away.
- National Data Science Bowl: Predict Ocean Health - Dec 16, 2014.
Enter the 1st ever National Data Science bowl, with 175K in prizes and build an algorithm to automate the plankton image identification across 100+ classes. Plankton are critically important to ecosystem, but traditional methods for measuring their populations are time consuming and cannot scale for large-scale studies.
- Zicari: Big Data: A Data-Driven Society - Dec 6, 2014.
Roberto Zicari talk at Stanford reviews how Big Data is enabling a data-driven economy, examines 3 Big Data research challenges, and makes a case for Big Data for Social Good.
- DrivenData: Data Science Competitions for Social Good - Nov 4, 2014.
DrivenData plans to bring cutting-edge practices in data science and crowdsourcing to some of the world's biggest social challenges and the organizations taking them on.
- Top stories for Oct 19-25: Ebola Data Science Lessons; DM Radio, Oct 30 on Predictive Tools with KDnuggets, Predixion - Oct 26, 2014.
Ebola Analytics and Data Science Lessons; DM Radio: Predictive Tools Are Pervasive, with KDnuggets, Predixion, RedPoint, and Appnomic, Oct 30; Big Data for Social Good IBM + Hadoop Challenge; TweetNLP: Twitter Natural Language Processing.
- Big Data for Social Good IBM + Hadoop Challenge - Oct 20, 2014.
Use city data to develop great applications for social good and earn prizes in IBM's new Big Data for Social Good challenge, starting in November 10. More information on eligibility, terms, and prizes will be available at launch.
- Big Data and Humanitarian Efforts - Oct 3, 2014.
Discover ways that big data is impacting and improving humanitarianism, including ways it crowdsources accounts of events and disaster relief in the Philippines.
- U. Chicago Center for Data Science and Public Policy: Data Science for Social Good Postdoc Fellowships - Sep 23, 2014.
Solve problems with high social impact in areas such as education, healthcare, energy, transportation, and public safety in partnership with non-profits and government organizations.
- KDD-2014 – The Biggest, Best, and Booming Data Science Meeting - Aug 28, 2014.
KDD-2014 was the largest (with over 2300 people) and the best Data Science meeting, highlighting the huge progress of Data Science made with Big Data, and its even more amazing potential.
- UW: Research Scientist Positions - Aug 1, 2014.
Do research and hone your engineering skills in an interdisciplinary environment on projects related to mining biological data, health care analytics, mobile networks, or healthcare big data.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 25-27 - Jul 28, 2014.
Does Apple slow down old iPhones when new ones are released? The Social Network of Alexander the Great; Kirk D. Borne - from data mining at NASA to teaching Data Science at GMU; Data for Good: data-driven projects for social good.
- Data for Good: data-driven projects for social good - Jul 26, 2014.
Data for Good is an exciting new non-profit seeking to highlight the various data science projects and resources that can ultimately contribute to the social good.
- KDD 2014 Call for Papers, Workshops, Tutorials and Sponsorships - Jan 17, 2014.
KDD 2014, the leading research conference in the field, will bring together researchers and practitioners from all aspects of data mining, knowledge discovery, and large-scale data analytics. This year special theme is Data Mining for Social Good. Abstracts due Feb 13.
- Data Science for Social Good, Chicago Jun-Aug 2014, Apply by Feb 1 - Jan 17, 2014.
Data Science for Social Good 2014 Summer Fellowship at the U. of Chicago is looking for students, mentors, and project partners. Fellows apply by Feb 1.