KDnuggets™ News 13:n10, Apr 17
Features (6) | Software (3) | Webcasts (1) | Courses, Events (1) | Meetings (3) | Jobs (4) | Competitions (1) | Publications (2) | Tweets (3) | NewsBriefs (2) | CFP (25) | Quote
- Big Data 100 on PeerIndex and Klout - Apr 16, 2013.
#BigData100 top influencers from PeerIndex/Big Data Republic are 1. @Tomhcanderson, 2-3: @sree, @kdnuggets, 4. @revodavid, 5. @sethgrimes. We compare it with Klout Big Data leaders and find very little overlap.
- KXEN Interview: Eric Marcade on Recommendations, User communities, Kaggle MSD, Predictive Offers - Apr 16, 2013.
KDnuggets talks with KXEN CTO Eric Marcade on new KXEN Recommendations, integration with business rules, successful applications, KXEN results in Kaggle MSD (6.6x more accuracy than the baseline in only 4 hours) , Predictive Offers, and more.
- KXEN Interview: Eric Marcade on Startups, Big Data, Recommendations - Apr 16, 2013.
KDnuggets talks with KXEN CTO Eric Marcade on start-up environments, KXEN evolution over the years, Big Data, new KXEN Recommendations, and more.
- Text and Social Analytics Summit, Boston, June 2013 - Apr 15, 2013.
Discuss text analytics strategy with Merck, RingCentral, IDC and Emblem Health and see which other industry leaders will be at 11th Text and Social Analytics Summit in Boston, June 5-6.
- Big Data Techcon Boston: Hadoop is not dead yet - Apr 11, 2013.
I report from the Big Data TechCon Boston (Apr 8-10), which differed from other Big Data conferences with its focus on applied, how-to, tutorials and classes. Despite Hadoop limitations, it is still the most popular tool for Big Data.
- Top news for Apr 7-13: IRS, Big Data, and Taxes (Cartoon); Learning from "Learning from Data" - Apr 14, 2013.
KDnuggets Cartoon looks at IRS, Big Data, and Taxes; Caltech Prof. Abu-Mostafa on his MOOC course "Learning from Data" and Machine Learning;
Top jobs: Data Analytics Scientist at Archimedes; Sr. Quantitative Analyst at Bridgepoint Education
- June 1 Hackathon at the White House - apply by Apr 19 - Apr 12, 2013.
Participants will focus on producing full, production ready apps and visualization tools that will be featured on the We the People website and made available under an open source license - apply by April 19.
- Bitcoin tools and datasets - Apr 10, 2013.
Bitcoin, a secure and anonymous internet currency, has recently experienced a bubble in value and attention. Here is a very useful (and free) set of data extraction scripts and datasets for analysts interested in Bitcoin.
- Angoss WEBINAR: Integrated Customer Intelligence - Apr 11, 2013.
Register for the Integrated Customer Intelligence webinar and learn how KnowledgeREADER, a truly integrated customer intelligence solution, can help you support customer experience management with visual text discovery, sentiment analysis, data mining and predictive analytics.
- Supercomputing PACE Data Mining Boot Camps, San Diego - Apr 15, 2013.
San Diego Supercomputing Predictive Analytics Center of Excellence (PACE) will hold a 2-day Data Mining Boot Camp designed to provide individuals in business enterprises and scientific communities with improved tactics critical to design, build, verify, and test predictive data models. San Diego, May 2-3 and Sep 12-13.
- PAW Toronto 2013 Report: Canada's Predictive Analytics Future on Display - Apr 16, 2013.
A report on PAW Toronto (PAW Predictive Analytics World, March 20-21, 2013) from KDnuggets Canadian correspondent Tom Wolfer.
- Microsoft Research Machine Learning Summit Streamed Live April 23 - Apr 16, 2013.
This free event will offer highlights from the Machine Learning Summit, keynotes from machine learning experts and discussions with leading scientific and academic researchers on challenges raised by the new era in machine learning.
- KDD 2013 Workshops - Apr 16, 2013.
KDD workshops provide an important forum for leading edge research. This year program has 14 workshops, including long-running ones - MDM: Multimedia Data Mining, BIOKDD, and Machine Learning with Graphs, and new ones - Data Mining for Healthcare, Interactive Data Exploration and Analytics.
- Machine Learning Scientist at Accretive Health, San Francisco, CA or Chicago, IL - Apr 15, 2013.
The Analytics Team at Accretive Health is hiring machine learning and artificial intelligence experts to help us fix some fundamental problems in the healthcare industry through the building of hybrid machine/human expert systems.
- Statistical Analyst at Quality Planning, San Francisco, CA - Apr 15, 2013.
QPC is revolutionizing insurance underwriting through innovative and technology-rich solutions to risk management problems. We are looking for bright, energetic, hard working individuals with good business sense who enjoy working in fast paced environments and who are willing to assume diverse and increasing responsibilities.
- Data Scientist/Senior Data Scientist at American Express, Phoenix, AZ - Apr 14, 2013.
Demonstrate creativity, curiosity and passion for dealing with large amounts of data and converting it into valuable, actionable information. Participation in data mining competitions is a big plus. Develop new algorithms and applications and test your ideas on vast amount of data.
- Sr. Quantitative Analyst at Bridgepoint Education, San Diego, CA - Apr 11, 2013.
Do you love finding interesting trends in a large data set and want to grow your career with an innovative company?
- DMOLD-13: Data Mining on Linked Data Workshop and Challenge - Apr 15, 2013.
The workshop consists of an Open Track and of a Challenge Track. The Challenge focuses Public Contract Procurement data, includes 3 tasks: prediction of the number of bidders; prediction of the type of contract; and unrestricted discovery of interesting nuggets of any sort
- DMKD: Free Read 5 Top Articles from Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery journal - Apr 15, 2013.
Read five recent and highly cited articles from Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery journal, courtesy of Geoff Webb, The Editor-in-Chief, and see the quality and scope of the journal.
- Director of National Intelligence: No Data Mining in 2012 - Apr 11, 2013.
The Office of the Director of National Intelligence, which includes CIA, says it did not engage in any data mining activity in 2012, while CIA CTO said recently their mission is "To Collect Everything And Hang On To It Forever". We examine the contradiction.
- Top 10 KDnuggets tweets, Apr 12-14: Why more data does not always produce a better model; How to better compete with other data scientists - Apr 15, 2013.
Why more data does not always produce a better model (Kolmogorov-Smirnov ?); How to better compete with other data scientists - useful resources; 50 #BigData Business Analytics Companies; Data Scientists Draw Pictures and Tell Short Stories
- Top 10 KDnuggets tweets, Apr 10-11: Data Mining with Weka: an online course; NYT reviews Analytics/Data Science education - Apr 12, 2013.
Data Mining with Weka: an online course, April 2013; NYT reviews Analytics/Data Science education: Columbia, USF, NYU, Stanford, NWU; Big Data Techcon: Hadoop is not dead yet - my report from the Boston conference; Benchmark compares NoSQL databases
- Top 10 KDnuggets tweets, Apr 8-9: Machine Learning and the Jargon - an explainer; What skills are important for a Data Scientist ? - Apr 10, 2013.
Machine Learning and the Jargon - an explainer; What skills are important for a Data Scientist ? A Practical Intro to Data Science from Zipfian Academy; Predictive Modelers don't need to know math, but GOOD ones need to know stats
- GE Flight Quest Winners improve gate/runway arrival predictions by 40-45 pct - Apr 12, 2013.
The winners used a mixture of gradient boosting and random forest models to reduce prediction errors for gate and runway arrival times to 4.2 and 3.2 minutes. Careful feature selection played a key role in their success.
- Oversight Systems Big Data Insights via Evidential Reasoning - Apr 11, 2013.
Oversight analyzes over $1.6 Trillion worth of transactions and delivers insights resulting in recovered revenue and stronger compliance for customers worldwide.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- UDM'13: IJCAI Workshop on Ubiquitous Data Mining, due Apr 20
- MLIS'13: IJCAI Workshop on Machine Learning for Interactive Systems, due Apr 20
- DMH-13: KDD 2013 Workshop on Data Mining for Healthcare, due May 5
- RecSys 2013: ACM Int. Conf. on Recommender Systems, due May 6
- WISDOM: Workshop on Issues of Sentiment Discovery and Opinion Mining, due May 8
- ADKDD 2013: The 7th Int. Workshop on Data Mining for Online Advertising, due May 13
- PMML-13: KDD-2013 PMML Workshop, due May 14
- ODD-13: KDD 2013 Workshop on Outlier Detection and Description, due May 14
- ACML2013: The 5th Asian Conf. on Machine Learning , due May 15
- AIBD'13: The First Int. Workshop on Artificial Intelligence for Big Data, due May 16
- BigMine 13: Big Data, Streams and Heterogeneous Source Mining: Algorithms, Systems, Programming Models and Applications, due May 17
- BIOKDD '13: 12th Int. Workshop on Data Mining in Bioinformatics , due May 17
- RecSys 2013-T: ACM Int. Conf. on Recommender Systems, Tutorial Proposals, due May 20
- MLG 2013: The 11th Workshop on Mining and Learning with Graphs, due Jun 6
- UrbComp: The Second ACM SIGKDD Int. Workshop on Urban Computing, due May 24
- SNA-KDD 2013: The 2013 KDD Workshop on Social Network Mining and Analysis, due May 27
- MultiClust: The 4th MultiClust Workshop on Multiple Clusterings, Multi-view Data, and Multi-source Knowledge-driven Clustering, due May 28
- IEEE BigData 2013: 2013 IEEE Int. Conf. on Big Data, due Jun 2
- MLG 2013: The 11th Workshop on Mining and Learning with Graphs, due Jun 6
- IDEA 2013: The 2013 KDD Workshop on Interactive Data Exploration and Analytics, due Jun 7
- MDM 2013: The 2013 KDD Workshop on Mutimedia Data Mining, due Jun 14
- SIGSPATIAL 2013: ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS 2013, due Jun 17
- DMoLD'13: Data Mining on Linked Data workshop and Challenge, due Jun 28
- NFMCP 2013: Second Int. Workshop New Frontiers in Mining Complex Patterns, due Jun 28
- TML 2013: Tensor Methods for Machine Learning, due Jun 28
"Let's spend way too long saying goodnight. Let's hug without saying anything at all."
A Mother's Mind After The Boston Marathon Bombing, http://huff.to/17jHlQB