- Top news for Apr 21-27: Top 30 LinkedIn Groups for Analytics; Machine Learning solves Parkinson's diagnosos - Apr 28, 2013.
Top 30 LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science; Lionsolver Machine Learning Approach to Smartphone Data Wins Parkinson Data Challenge;
Top jobs: Machine Learning Scientist at Amazon; BI Developer at Epic Systems
- KDD Innovation and Service Awards, nominations due May 31 - Apr 23, 2013.
Nominate leaders in Big data, Data Mining, Knowledge Discovery, and Predictive Analytics for ACM SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards. The awards recognize outstanding technical innovations and outstanding professional contributions to the field and are due May 31.
- Poll Results: Largest Dataset Analyzed/Data Mined - Apr 23, 2013.
The largest dataset analyzed kept growing, with the median value in 40-60 GB range, about twice the 2012 value. US data miners lead other regions in Big Data: about 28% of them worked with TB size databases. We again observed the 11-100 Petabyte gap.
- Top 30 LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Apr 22, 2013.
We investigate the largest LinkedIn groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science and look at their size, growth and activity levels. We find there are 50% more discussions/week than comments, and Big Data groups are the fastest growing.
- Data Scientist Hat - Best Comments - Apr 21, 2013.
Here are best comments on Data Scientist Hat - clearly data scientists need to wear multiple hats, including y-hat, to help protect from Hype and Overfitting.
- Top news for Apr 14-20: KDD Cup 2013: Author-Paper ID; 5 Top Articles DMKD Articles; Microsoft ML Summit Streamed Live Apr 23 - Apr 21, 2013.
KDD Cup 2013: Author-Paper Identification Challenge; Free Read 5 Top Articles from DMKD journal; Microsoft Machine Learning Summit Streamed Live Apr 23
Top jobs: Machine Learning Scientist at Accretive Health; Data Scientist at American Express
- Should Data Science become a Profession: Pro and Con - Apr 18, 2013.
A Data Science Code of Professional Conduct can protect both consumers of data science and data scientists themselves. But it is useful and possible without a single professional body? Read the pro and con arguments and join lively debate on this topic.
- Big Data 100 on PeerIndex and Klout - Apr 16, 2013.
#BigData100 top influencers from PeerIndex/Big Data Republic are 1. @Tomhcanderson, 2-3: @sree, @kdnuggets, 4. @revodavid, 5. @sethgrimes. We compare it with Klout Big Data leaders and find very little overlap.
- KXEN Interview: Eric Marcade on Recommendations, User communities, Kaggle MSD, Predictive Offers - Apr 16, 2013.
KDnuggets talks with KXEN CTO Eric Marcade on new KXEN Recommendations, integration with business rules, successful applications, KXEN results in Kaggle MSD (6.6x more accuracy than the baseline in only 4 hours) , Predictive Offers, and more.
- KXEN Interview: Eric Marcade on Startups, Big Data, Recommendations - Apr 16, 2013.
KDnuggets talks with KXEN CTO Eric Marcade on start-up environments, KXEN evolution over the years, Big Data, new KXEN Recommendations, and more.
- Top news for Apr 7-13: IRS, Big Data, and Taxes (Cartoon); Learning from "Learning from Data" - Apr 14, 2013.
KDnuggets Cartoon looks at IRS, Big Data, and Taxes; Caltech Prof. Abu-Mostafa on his MOOC course "Learning from Data" and Machine Learning;
Top jobs: Data Analytics Scientist at Archimedes; Sr. Quantitative Analyst at Bridgepoint Education
- Webcast/Debate: Should Data Science Become a Profession and Self-regulate? - Apr 8, 2013.
Join/Watch on Google Hangout, Apr 10, 1 pm PT, 4 pm ET, with Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro (KDnuggets), Eric Siegel (Predictive Analytics World) and Michael Walker (Rose Business Technologies) for a spirited discussion on data science as an independent profession with a code of conduct and self-regulation. Tag #DataScienceProfession.
- Top news for Mar 31 - Apr 6: Learning from "Learning from Data"; IBM Accelerates Big Data; Cartoon: Big Data and Taxes; Data Scientist Hat - Apr 7, 2013.
Caltech Prof. Abu-Mostafa on his MOOC course "Learning from Data" and Machine Learning; IBM Accelerates Big Data; Cartoon: IRS, Big Data, and Taxes; Data Scientist Hat;
Top jobs: Data Scientist at Science Exchange; Data Mining Research Engineer - Algorithms at Bosch RTC
- New Poll: Largest Dataset Analyzed / Data Mined? - Apr 6, 2013.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: what was the largest dataset you analyzed/ data mined? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com.
- KDnuggets Cartoon looks at IRS, Big Data, and Taxes - Apr 6, 2013.
It is tax paying season! This KDnuggets cartoon uses Big Data to help reduce the pain of paying taxes.
- Caltech Prof. Abu-Mostafa on what he learned from his MOOC course "Learning from Data" - Apr 5, 2013.
Caltech professor Yaser Abu-Mostafa on the goals for his online MOOC course "Learning from Data", and how online courses are transforming education.
- Caltech Prof. Abu-Mostafa on his MOOC course "Learning from Data" and Machine Learning - Apr 5, 2013.
KDnuggets talks with top Caltech professor Yaser Abu-Mostafa about his current online MOOC course "Learning from Data", Machine Learning, and Big Data.
- Data Scientist Hat - Apr 1, 2013.
Many professions have a traditional hat and a logo. What should a self-respecting data scientist wear? We review several proposals. Send us your suggestions.
- Top news in March: Data Science Code of Conduct; Top LinkedIn Groups; Data Driven Journalism Tutorials - Apr 1, 2013.
Data Science Code of Professional Conduct and "Golden Rule"; Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science; NICAR13 Data Driven Journalism Tutorials, Presentations
Top jobs: Data Science for Social Good Summer Fellowship at U. Chicago; Data Scientist at Qubit
- Additions to KDnuggets in March - Apr 1, 2013.
SPMF Sequential Pattern Mining Framework, Open Data Census, and new companies, datasets, education, meetings, publications, software, and solutions