KDnuggets™ News 13:n14, Jun 5
- KDnuggets Annual Software Poll: RapidMiner and R vie for first place- Jun 3, 2013.
The 2013 KDnuggets Software Poll was marked by a battle between RapidMiner and R for the first place. Surprisingly, commercial and free software maintained parity, with about 30% using each exclusively, and 40% using both. Only 10% used their own code - is analytics software maturing? Real Big Data is still done by a minority - only 1 in 7 used Hadoop or similar tools, same as last year.
- Social Market Analytics secret sauce for using Twitter Sentiment for Stocks Trading- May 28, 2013.
I talk to Social Market Analytics founder Joe Gits about using Twitter Sentiment for Investments and their "secret sauce" which makes their platform effective.
- PAW Chicago, June 10-13, unmatched networking and learning- May 28, 2013.
Attend PAW Chicago, June 10-13, for unmatched networking, learn the latest methodologies, and hear keynotes from top industry leaders. Special KDnuggets discount.
- Top news for May 26 - Jun 1: New Poll: Analytics/DM Software used; 42 Big Data Startups- Jun 2, 2013.
New Poll: Predictive Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used; 42 Big Data Startups; SMA secret sauce for using Twitter Sentiment for stock trading;Top jobs: Data Scientist, Strategic at Groupon; Engagement Manager at Latentview
- Top news for May 19-25: New Poll: Analytics/DM Software used? Top Big Data Tweeter- May 26, 2013.
New Poll: Predictive Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used; @kdnuggets, Top Big Data Tweeter; Big Data Journal Top Articles;Top jobs: Data Scientist at Knewton; Data Scientist at Swisscom
- Top news, jobs in May: New Poll: Analytics/Data Mining Software; 10 Most Influential People- Jun 1, 2013.
New Poll: Predictive Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used; 10 Most Influential People in Data Analytics; Statistical Analysis and Data Mining journal Top Papers Free AccessTop jobs: Data Scientist at Amazon; Data Scientist at Apple, Cupertino
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in May- Jun 1, 2013.
Alteryx, BigML, and Skytree Analytics/Machine Learning in the cloud, and new companies, datasets, education, meetings, software, and blogs
- 42 Big Data Startups- May 30, 2013.
Here is a selection of most interesting Big Data start-ups to watch.
- SiSense Prism 10X In-Chip Analytics Data Monster- May 23, 2013.
SiSense in-chip columnar database turns any machine into data monster, says Bruno Aziza! SiSense Prism 10X is a significant entry in Big Data Analytics market, with its In-Chip analytics that are much faster than in-memory approaches, and many new dynamic visualizations.
- Datahero: Analytics and Data Visualization for the 99%- Jun 4, 2013.
Datahero secret Data Decoder analyzes patterns in your data and automatically generates relevant visualizations that help you unmask the answers within.
- BigML: Big Data Analytics for the Masses- May 29, 2013.
BigML, created by experts in machine learning and recommendation systems, offers a SaaS-based machine learning platform for everyday business users. BigML algorithms produce interactive decision trees, which it says are an intuitive way to analyze data. Free trial.
- 7 Data Visualization Companies You Might Not Know- May 24, 2013.
While Tableau is very much in the news, here are 7 Data Visualization companies you might not know about.
- Angoss Video Series: Customer Analytics Roadmap- Jun 4, 2013.
Watch this 4-part best practices video series, focusing on Customer Segmentation, Customer Acquisition, Upsell/Cross Sell, and Next Product Recommendation and transform your big data for marketing and customer intelligence.
- June 12: Inkiru, Forrester Real-Time Predictive Analytics Webinar- Jun 3, 2013.
Inkiru is transforming ecommerce customer interactions by enabling merchants and financial institutions to make decisions in real-time, and host different models in real-time for different use cases. Learn more on June 12.
- Upcoming Webinars and Courses Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science- Jun 1, 2013.
Upcoming Webinars, Webcasts, and Courses on Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science
- DePaul MS in Predictive Analytics - new concentration in Hospitality- May 31, 2013.
On-campus or online, DePaul's MS in Predictive Analytics graduates develop both analytical skills and business acumen via courses in analytics, data mining and marketing, and prepare to be leaders in the analytics field. Starting in Fall 2013, there will be a new concentration in Hospitality.
- Upcoming Meetings on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Knowledge Discovery- Jun 1, 2013.
Upcoming Meetings, Conferences on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Knowledge Discovery in June, July, and August of 2013.
- KDD-2013: Premier Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Early bird till June 30- May 30, 2013.
Please join us in Chicago, Aug 11-14, 2013, for KDD 2013, the premier international conference on knowledge discovery and data mining. Registration is open - early bird rates until June 30
- Credit Risk Manager at Axcess, Cincinnati, OH- Jun 3, 2013.
Provide overall leadership in innovating, building, and implementing risk based pricing solutions that increase the value of underwriting for lending operations.
- Credit Policy Manager at Axcess-Financial, Cincinnati, OH- Jun 3, 2013.
Own credit policies for underwriting for all loan and line of credit products. Build and manage a team to support global, retail, credit businesses. Lead development and testing of credit strategies and initiatives.
- Data Scientist at U. of Michigan, Office of Development, Dearborn, MI- May 31, 2013.
Apply expert data management and data analysis to support the strategic planning and operational effectiveness of key fundraising programs.
- Data Scientist, Strategic at Groupon, Palo Alto, CA- May 30, 2013.
Looking for creative and innovative minds to join the team to focus on strategic data analysis ideas that will propel the future growth of Groupon.
- Data Scientist at Groupon, Seattle, WA- May 30, 2013.
Analyze data to develop business and marketing operations, strategies and tactics to promote site traffic, increasing subscriber and customer acquisition by improving conversion, and increasing customer lifetime value.
- Data Analyst at Chartis, Chicago, IL- May 30, 2013.
This is an exciting opportunity for an innovative quantitative thinker who is passionate about healthcare to leverage their skills and interests
- Engagement Manager at Latentview, Seattle, WA- May 28, 2013.
A career with LatentView provides you excellent opportunities to apply principles of mathematics, statistics, econometrics, computer science and operations research to solve real world business problems.
- Sr. Business Analyst at Adobe, Bay Area, CA- May 25, 2013.
Be analytics expert within the company for search, social and display media, provide direction on Search marketing to clients and for product development. This is a highly visible role which will interact with senior management internally and client side.
- Machine Learning Analyst at AxDx, Tucson, AZ- May 23, 2013.
Mine results from images of live bacterial cells under antibiotic stress to develop population models and algorithms for susceptibility classification. Analysis of live-cell populations requires initiative, intellectual curiosity, and diligent observation for insight into organism behavior.
- Data Scientist at Swisscom, Bern, Switzerland- May 22, 2013.
Do you see your career as a journey into the future? If so, join us and use the latest data mining technologies and Big Data tools to improve telecom security and intelligence.
- Doctoral scholarship in machine learning at TU-Darmstadt-DIPF, Frankfurt (Main), Germany- Jun 4, 2013.
A 3-year doctoral scholarship in machine learning within the newly established PhD program "Knowledge Discovery in Scientific Publications" on Personalised Content Acquisition from Heterogeneous Sources. Apply by June 30.
- PhD working on Process Mining in SAP at TU-Eindhoven, The Netherlands- May 24, 2013.
Working on a new and challenging process mining project in collaboration with SAP,l on detailed analysis of data in enterprise systems, evaluation of existing techniques in such settings, and the enhancement of process mining techniques. Apply by June 25.
- Postdocs, Machine Learning at University of Bristol, Bristol, England- May 22, 2013.
Work on SPHERE (Sensor Platform for HEalthcare in a Residential Environment), a unique and highly-interdisciplinary collaboration in home healthcare technology. Apply by June 16
- Research Associate in Games Data Mining/Analytics at University of York, York, England- May 22, 2013.
Extract useful knowledge from massive quantities of clickstream data resulting from online gameplay, provided by our large and growing group of games industry collaborators. Strong technical and interpersonal skills are required. Apply by June 12.
- BioASQ challenge on large-scale biomedical semantic indexing and question answering- Jun 4, 2013.
This challenge looks for a solution to the information access problem of biomedical experts and will evaluate the ability of systems in biomedical QA process. The second round starts June 3, 2013 and will comprise 6 new weekly tests.
- DMOLD-13: Data Mining on Linked Data Workshop and Challenge- May 28, 2013.
The workshop consists of an Open Track and of a Challenge Track. The Challenge focuses Public Contract Procurement data, includes 3 tasks: prediction of the number of bidders; prediction of the type of contract; and unrestricted discovery of interesting nuggets of any sort. Submissions due June 21.
- Wikibon Real World of Big Data Infographic- Jun 2, 2013.
This visually appealing infographic focuses on Big Data in the enterprise, covering the revenue breakdown, main growth drivers, who are the big spenders, Big Data Investment sectors, and Big Data in Motion.
- JDMDH: New Journal of Data Mining and Digital Humanities, submissions due Jun 25- May 25, 2013.
Journal of Data Mining & Digital Humanities will publish original research, review papers with the focus on Digital Humanities Data. First issue is planned in August, and submissions due June 25.
- DJ Patil Lessons Learned from Making Data Product- May 23, 2013.
DJ Patil, Leading Data Scientist turned Venture Capitalist, talks about lessons he learned from making data products. What is the truth and the hype about big data?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 31 - Jun 2: Upcoming Meetings, Conferences on Analytics, Big Data; 7 #BigData Trends that will impact your business- Jun 3, 2013.
Upcoming Meetings, Conferences on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining; 7 #BigData Trends that will impact your business: 1. SQL on Hadoop; Upcoming Webinars and Courses on Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science; Data Scientist at Facebook
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 29-30: #BigData w. R, Python: A Mind Map of All the Packages; If you're disappointed with #BigData- May 31, 2013.
#BigData w. R &Python: A Mind Map of All the Packages You Will Ever Need; If you're disappointed with #BigData, you're not paying attention; Most interesting Big Data Startups; Most popular programming languages
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 27-28: Must-know Statistical Formulas; Text processing with R #rstats and Python- May 29, 2013.
Must-know Statistical Formulas for hackers, aspiring data miners, data scientist; Text processing with R #rstats and Python; I love MIT Press (publishers of my 1st book on Data Mining) - get 50% off till June 3
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 24-26: Interesting new tool for data scientists: Wakari; Julia, new data science/statistical language- May 27, 2013.
Interesting new tool for data scientists: Wakari - Web-based Python Data Analysis; Julia, new data science/statistical language , combines best of R & Python; Data Visualization with Nodebox - very cool Python tutorial; When did things turn negative? Great example of using sentiment analysis on ENRON emails
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 22-23: Is #BigData like teenage sex? Everyone talks about it, nobody knows how; Must read: On #BigData, Data Intelligence, the Math of War- May 24, 2013.
Is #BigData like teenage sex? Everyone talks about it, nobody knows how to do it; Must read: On #BigData, Data Intelligence, the Mathematics of War; Data scientists don't scale - can you empower knowledge workers to do #BigData analytics? ; Open Data Stack Exchange, it is like Stackoverflow for Open Data
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 20-21: Big Data Journal inaugural issue top articles; An unknown mathematician proves incredibly difficult Prime Gap Theorem- May 22, 2013.
Big Data Journal inaugural issue top articles - open access; An unknown mathematician proves incredibly difficult Prime Gap Theorem; Data visualization darling Tableau closes Day 1 up 64%; Wrangling your graph data
- Wakari: Continuum In-Browser Data Analytics Environment- May 24, 2013.
Continuum Analytics released Wakari, an easy-to-use, cloud-based, collaborative Python environment for analyzing, exploring and visualizing large data sets.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- RCOMM 2013: RapidMiner Community Meeting and Conf., due Jun 9
- ICDM '13: IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, due Jun 21
- JDMDH: Journal of Data Mining and Digital Humanities, due Jun 25
- LML-13: ECML/PKDD 2013 Workshop on Languages for Data Mining and Machine Learning, due Jun 28
- ECML/PKDD 2015 Proposals: Call for Proposals for ECML/PKDD 2015, due Jun 30
- AusDM-I: AusDM 2013 Industry Track, due Jul 15
- MSDW: The 1st Int. Workshop on Mining Social Data at Work, due Aug 3
- PopRec 2014: Int. Workshop on Population Reconstruction, due Oct 15
Big data is like teenage sex: everyone talks about it, nobody really knows how to do it, everyone thinks everyone else is doing it, so everyone claims they are doing it...
Dan Ariely, Facebook post