KDnuggets™ News 13:n13, May 22
Features (11) | Software (1) | Webcasts (4) | Courses, Events (2) | Jobs (11) | Academic (1) | Competitions (3) | Publications (5) | Tweets (6) | NewsBriefs (1) | CFP (26) | Quote
- New Poll: Predictive Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used - May 16, 2013.
The 14th annual KDnuggets Software poll is asking: What Predictive Analytics, Big Data, Data mining, Data Science software you used in the past 12 months for a real project? Please vote
- @kdnuggets Voted the Best Big Data Twitter Account - May 21, 2013.
The Big Data Republic judges voted for the must-follow tweeters from the #BigData100 list, and the top accounts were @kdnuggets, @kirkdborne, @revodavid, @hmason, and @sethgrimes. See the full list
- Exclusive: Interview with Tom H. C. Anderson, the leader in Big Data, Market Analytics, and Text Analytics - May 20, 2013.
KDnuggets talks with Tom H. C. Anderson, a pioneer in text mining, founder of NGMR Market Research group, a leader in Big Data and in Social media, an award winning blogger, and a very cool guy. Part 1 of the interview
- Exclusive: Part 2 of the Interview with Tom H. C. Anderson, the leader in Big Data, Market Analytics, and Text Analytics - May 20, 2013.
Part 2 of KDnuggets interview with Tom H. C. Anderson, a pioneer in text mining, founder of NGMR Market Research group, a leader in Big Data and in Social media, an award winning blogger, and a very cool guy.
- 7 Reasons not to miss Predictive Analytics World Chicago, June 10-13 - May 20, 2013.
See case studies how leading organizations deploy predictive analytics, get inspiration from keynotes, including Rayid Ghani, Chief Data Scientist for Obama for America, increase your knowledge with in-depth workshops, and more.
- KDnuggets reaches 10000 Twitter Followers - May 14, 2013.
We look at interesting KDnuggets Twitter statistics upon reaching a milestone of 10,000 followers.
- 10 Most Influential People in Data Analytics - May 14, 2013.
Here is another list of 10 Most Influential People in Data Analytics, which includes (in alphabetical order) Dean Abbott, Mchael Berry, Tom Davenport, John Elder, Rayid Ghani, Anthony Goldbloom, Vincent Granville, Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro, Karl Rexer, and Eric Siegel.
- Cartoon: Mother Of All Data - May 10, 2013.
New KDnuggets Cartoon looks at the Mother of All Data. Enjoy and don't forget the mothers in your life - Big Data predicted that 67.53% of you would remember!
- Poll Results: With Big Data, Statistics Will Become More Important - May 15, 2013.
In one of the most lopsided polls on KDnuggets, a big majority of KDnuggets audience said that in the era of Big Data, Statistics will become more important, as the foundation of Data Science.
- Top news for May 12-18: 10 Most Influential People in Data Analytics; New Poll: Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Software Used? - May 19, 2013.
10 Most Influential People in Data Analytics; New Poll: Predictive Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used;
Top jobs: Data Scientist at Apple, Cupertino; Data Mining Scientist at Apple, Austin;
- Top news for May 5-11: Will Big Data Make Stats Less Important? Stanford Online; SADM journal Top Papers Free Access - May 12, 2013.
Best Blogs for Data Miners and Data Scientists; New Poll: Will Big Data make Statistics less Important?;
Top jobs: Data Scientist at MethodCare; SWE Data Scientist at Apple
- Alteryx Instant Analytics - Project Edition Free Version - May 9, 2013.
The new Project Edition of Alteryx Strategic Analytics provides the opportunity for the underserved Data Artisans to experience Alteryx by providing a powerful, free instant analytics platform to complete their next business critical analytics projects faster.
- May 22 Webinar on GE-NFL $10M Challenge: Methods for Diagnosis and Prognosis of Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries - May 20, 2013.
Join NineSigma, GE and NFL for May 22 webinar to learn more about this $10 million challenge for methods that enable more accurate diagnoses of mild brain injury and prognosis for recovery. Submissions due July 1.
- Affordable Online MS in Data Analytics, Learn more - May 22 webinar - May 16, 2013.
Learn in May 22 Webinar how the affordable Online MS in Data Analytics at CUNY SPS can prepare you for a Big Data and Analytics career.
- Webinar: Data Philanthropy, May 22, leverage data for social good and business - May 12, 2013.
Learn How private and public organizations cooperatively leverage data assets for social good and business growth.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Jun 12] - May 21, 2013.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is Jun 12.
- TMA Courses in Data Analytics [June: Denver; Aug: San Jose] - May 21, 2013.
Get up to speed in data mining faster and more effectively than with any other training program available. Next courses in Denver, CO and San Jose, CA.
- Northwestern Online MS in Predictive Analytics - May 14, 2013.
Prepare for leadership-level career opportunities, learn from distinguished Northwestern faculty and industry experts, and build statistical and analytic expertise as well as the management and leadership skills. You can earn Northwestern MS degree entirely online.
- Sr. Consultant, Analytics at Epsilon, Atlanta, GA - May 20, 2013.
Interact with clients to understand their business needs, and then work with our team to develop an analytical solution to those problems. Be evangelist for CRM and analytical methods.
- Data Scientist at Knewton, New York, NY - May 19, 2013.
Knewton is building the world's most powerful adaptive learning engine, with the goal of making personalized and engaging education available to all. You will work with decision makers across the company to provide actionable, data-driven answers to their most challenging problems.
- Senior Statistician, Marketing Analytics at Chase, Columbus, OH - May 16, 2013.
Work on challenging analytical projects/questions with a potential of significant impact to the business. Typically these problems will be of an unstructured nature, and the analyst will be expected to quickly assess the situation and develop a practical problem solving strategy.
- Data Scientist at Apple, Cupertino, CA - May 15, 2013.
Apple has a tremendous amount of data, and we have just scratched the surface in pattern detection, anomaly detection, predictive modeling, and optimization. There are many exciting problems to be discovered and solved.
- Data Mining Scientist at Apple, Austin, TX - May 15, 2013.
An outstanding data mining scientist, designing, developing, and fielding data mining solutions that have direct and measurable impact to Apple.
- Fraud Data Analyst, 230930 at Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, St Louis, MO - May 14, 2013.
"Do Not Pay" is the US Treasury to identify, reduce, and prevent improper payments. Work on completing robust data analytics on federal payment data to identify potential fraud. US Citizenship required
- Business Analyst at Amazon, Seattle, WA - May 10, 2013.
A proven self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and passionate about using data to drive decisions. Deal with ambiguity and make independent decisions about what data is best for the task at hand.
- Data Scientist at Amazon, Seattle, WA - May 10, 2013.
This is a high impact role in a talented and close knit team of data scientists, analysts, engineers and product managers who are helping define the next generation of Ad Tech and influencing marketing decisions across the globe.
- Research Scientist at DuPont Pioneer, Johnston, IA - May 9, 2013.
Have an extensive background in machine learning and data mining and a strong passion for inventing, applying, and evaluating algorithms to extract knowledge from large data sets.
- Software Engineering Data Scientist at Apple, Cupertino - May 8, 2013.
Designing, developing, and fielding data mining solutions that have direct and measurable impact to Apple. Combine a broad knowledge of existing data mining algorithms and creativity to invent and customize when necessary.
- Security Data Analyst/Scientist at Zions Bancorporation, Salt Lake City, UT - May 8, 2013.
Collect and analyze operational security data; prepare reports and recommendations; develop, maintain, and ensure data quality control.
- PhD working on Process Mining Techniques at TU-Eindhoven, The Netherlands - May 16, 2013.
Working in The Architecture of Information Systems group, one of the leading computer science groups in the Netherlands and as the center of BPM and process mining research. Apply by June 15.
- Innocentive: Big Ideas for Unlocking The Power of Big Data - May 19, 2013.
Ideation Challenge, seeking an overview of actionable concepts for leveraging big data in certain applications, identifying potential partners that can help develop Big Data opportunities. Deadline June 15.
- ICDM 2013: Call for Data Mining Contest Proposals - May 14, 2013.
The Data Mining Contest is an integral part of the ICDM conference and provides an opportunity for teams of scientists and domain experts to compete in order to develop data mining techniques for real-world applications. Submissions due June 7
- Kaggle Competition and Tutorial: Facial Keypoints Detection - May 8, 2013.
Identify the key points in facial images that vary by many different factors. This competition also provides a benchmark dataset and R Tutorial to get going on facial image analysis.
- Big Data Journal Top Articles: Open Access - May 21, 2013.
Check these top-read articles from the inaugural issue of the Big Data journal (open access).
- Data Drive Thru: Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro - May 13, 2013.
Here is an interview I gave to LatentView, discussing Analytics, Big Data, Analytics Solutions and Services, and more.
- Most Data is Not Big? A Discussion - May 13, 2013.
"Most Data is not Big" post generates a very lively discussion among analytics experts - see if you agree, and join the discussion. Is collecting Big Data a distraction from focus on ROI and actionable information?
- Statistical Analysis and Data Mining journal Top Papers Free Access - May 10, 2013.
Read the most popular papers from Statistical Analysis and Data Mining published 2011-2012, with free access. Topics include time series, community discovery, statistical network analysis, room for modeler, convex clustering, and more.
- Lavastorm: New Forrester Research - Agile BI Report - Free Download - May 9, 2013.
Download Forrester Research Report "Build an Agile BI Organization" and learn why centralized BI is prone to failure and how to close BI talent gap by empowering business users to roll their own BI apps.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 17-19: Data Scientist at the CIA, organize and interpret #BigData; Top 3 R resources for beginners #rstats - May 20, 2013.
Data Scientist at the CIA; Top 3 R resources for beginners #rstats; Statistics is becoming more important in #BigData era: Harvard Stats dept growth; The Next Big Thing in #BigData: People Analytics, powered by badges, cell phones
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 15-16: Annotated dataset of tweets; Will 2014 be the start the end for SAS, SPSS? - May 17, 2013.
Annotated dataset of tweets, for opinion retrieval in Twitter; Will 2014 be the beginning of the end for SAS and SPSS ? Poll Results: In the era of Big Data, Statistics Will Become More Important; Great thread on hacker news in response to "Most data isn't big"
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 13-14: Shocking: 55% of #BigData Analytics projects fail; Secrets of the #BigData Revolution - May 15, 2013.
Shocking: 55% of #BigData Analytics projects fail, due to lack of talent or biz context; Secrets of the #BigData Revolution: new book looks at Data Science, Big Data, Tools; Useful! The Guerilla Guide to R: reading/writing, dataframes, Lists, Vectors, Gotchas; The 10 Most Influential People in Data Analytics, Data Mining, Predictive Analytics
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 10-12: FasteR! A Guide to Speeding Up R Code; MIT Luminoso breakthrough in Text Mining - May 13, 2013.
FasteR! A Guide to Speeding Up R Code for Busy People; MIT startup Luminoso claims a breakthrough in Text Mining; Facebook about to launch a Big Play in #BigData Analytics; The #BigData Scientist Skillset: more than just Hadoop, Python, R, Pig, and SQL
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 8-9: Essential Data Mining Cheat Sheet; Quandl R Package - 5M free datasets, clever data search - May 10, 2013.
Essential! Data Mining Cheat Sheet - Discovering and Visualizing Patterns with Python; Quandl R Package - 5,000,000 free datasets, clever data search; Has Big Data Made Anonymity Impossible? Yes ; A contrary view: Most data isn't 'big' - Businesses are wasting money pretending it is
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 6-7: Stanford Data Mining/Stats Courses Online; Shape of Data, an intuitive geometric introduction - May 8, 2013.
Stanford Data Mining and Statistics Courses Online; The Shape of Data, an intuitive introduction to data algorithms; The "mad scientist" of Hollywood evaluates if a script will make a hit; Stephen McDaniel on Data Science vs Statistics
- Viscovery 6.0 Visual Data-Mining Platform - May 16, 2013.
Viscovery Visual data mining software suite is designed to help customers uncover high-value insights and interesting attributes in very high-dimensional data. Free trial.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- DMH 2013: Data Mining for Healthcare, due May 23
- ODD 2013: Workshop on Outlier Detection and Description, due May 28
- KONT-13: 4th Russian Conf. "Knowledge, Ontology, Theory" (KONT-13), with international participation, due May 30
- PAW London: Predictive Analytics World London, due May 31
- BigMine-13: Big Data, Streams and Heterogeneous Source Mining, due Jun 6
- DMCS: Data Mining Case Studies Workshop and Practice Prize, due Jun 8
- ECMLPKDD 2013-Nectar: ECMLPKDD 2013, Nectar Track , due Jun 14
- UDSM13: Uncovering Deception in Social Media, due Jun 15
- ICDM '13: IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, due Jun 21
- MNLP 2013: Mining Unstructured Big Data using Natural Language Processing Workshop, due Jun 21
- IMMM 2013: Advances in Information Mining and Management, due Jun 26
- REALSTREAM 2013: Real-World Challenges for Data Stream Mining , due Jun 28
- CMA 2013: Cross-Media Analysis, due Jul 15
- EEML 2013: Int. Workshop on Experimental Economics and Machine Learning, due Jul 20
- MPPES: Mining Performance Patterns in Elite Sports, due Aug 3
- DMBIH 2013: Data Mining in Biomedical Informatics and Healthcare, due Aug 3
- BiDaDA 2013: Biological Data mining and Database Applications , due Aug 3
- CD 2013: Causal Discovery, due Aug 3
- DMS 2013: Data Mining for Service, due Aug 3
- SENTIRE: Sentiment Elicitation from Natural Text for Information Retrieval and Extraction, due Aug 3
- BioDM 2013: Biological Data Mining and its Applications in Healthcare, due Aug 3
- HDM 2013: High Dimensional Data Mining, due Aug 3
- WSDM-2014-T: Web Search and Data Mining, Tutorials, due Sep 9
- IWGS 2013: Workshop on GeoStreaming, due Aug 23
- WSDM-2014-T: Web Search and Data Mining, Tutorials, due Sep 9
- EGC-2014: Extraction et Gestion des Connaissances, due Oct 7
Gregory's posts about big data are exceptionally well-phrased, and they feature a nice mix of what he has to say and - through links - what others have to say. Jim Connoly on @kdnuggets, which was voted the Best Big Data Twitter Account.