KDnuggets™ News 13:n28, Nov 20
Features (7) | Software (1) | Webcasts (1) | Jobs (6) | Academic (2) | Competitions (2) | Publications (5) | Tweets (3) | NewsBriefs (3) | CFP (10) | Quote
- KDnuggets Review of Analytics Marketplaces: The Next Big Thing for Big Data ( comments) - Nov 18, 2013.
We review Analytics App Marketplaces from Alteryx, Amazon (AWS), BigML, Datameer, RapidMiner, and Windows Azure. Who will create the next iTunes for Analytics?
- New Poll: Where did you apply Analytics/Data Mining/Data Science? ( comments) - Nov 16, 2013.
New KDnuggets Poll: Where did you apply Analytics/Data Mining/Data Science in 2013? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com.
- My report on Boston Data Festival and next trends in Big Data ( comments) - Nov 14, 2013.
Boston first-ever Data Festival gathers hundreds of analytics professionals, and All-Star Big Data panel answers what is next in Big Data and which trends are least likely to be successful.
- SiSense: Cutting the Cost of Business Analytics - Nov 19, 2013.
Download this paper to learn how to significantly cut Business Analytics costs with smart Software, Hardware, and Human Resource choices.
- Big Data Influencers Q4 2013 - Nov 15, 2013.
Onalytica 2013 Q4 list of #BigData Influencers on Tweeter is led by @KirkDBorne, @jameskobielus, @timoelliott, @BernardMarr, and @kdnuggets. We compare their list with Klout and find only one intersection among top influencers.
- Data Science not just for Big Data: Video and Slides ( comments) - Nov 19, 2013.
While big data certainly brings changes to data science, major data science principles remain unchanged regardless of the data size. Watch leading experts David Smith from Revolution Analytics and Gregory Piatetsky from KDnuggets discuss key data science principles.
- Top news for Nov 10-16: Field Guide to Data Science, free download; Chordalysis: a new method to discover data structure - Nov 17, 2013.
Booz Allen "Field Guide to Data Science" - free download; Chordalysis: a new method to discover the structure of data; IBM Opens the Watson Cognitive Platform for Developers.
- WDC Huge Web Graph - 128 billion hyperlinks - publicly available - Nov 16, 2013.
Huge Web Graph, with 3.5 billion pages and 128 billion hyperlinks is now publicly available for web and network research. This is probably the largest publicly available graph.
- Quebit: Better Decisions with Predictive Modeling: Nov 20 Webinar - Nov 19, 2013.
Learn advanced data mining techniques with QueBIT SPSS Modeler Seminar Series, starting with a free webinar on Nov 20.
- ETL and Big Data Architect at Bosch Research and Technology Center, Palo Alto, CA - Nov 19, 2013.
Big Data and Data Mining is impacting Bosch products and services in many other areas, so come and join our rapidly growing team of data scientists and software engineers.
- Big Data ETL Developer at Bosch Research and Technology Center, Palo Alto, CA - Nov 19, 2013.
Big Data and Data Mining is impacting Bosch products and services in Predictive Maintenance, Health Informatics, Vehicle Diagnostics, and many other areas. We expect our team of data scientists and software engineers to grow rapidly, so come join us!
- Senior Software Engineer - Analytics at Bosch, Palo Alto, CA - Nov 19, 2013.
The Data Mining Service Center at Bosch provides Data Mining, Data Science and Big Data services to many Bosch business units, including Purchasing, Predictive Maintenance, Health Informatics, Vehicle Diagnostics, Manufacturing, and Large-Scale Simulations.
- Sr. Big Data Engineer / Architect at BehaviorMatrix, Blue Bell, PA (outside Philadelphia) - Nov 18, 2013.
Looking for a talented, energetic individual with demonstrated excellence in delivering robust solutions based on leading-edge technologies in the field of big data analytics.
- Data Scientist at BehaviorMatrix, Blue Bell, PA (outside Philadelphia) - Nov 18, 2013.
Join a rapidly growing leader in Big Data Emotional Analytics; we apply cutting-edge paradigms in computing, novel and fundamental scientific discoveries, and powerful algorithmic tools to measure and use the emotional signals in digital media.
- Game Analytics Manager at Ubisoft Entertainment, Montreal, Canada - Nov 13, 2013.
Implement best analytical practices, enhance and develop game data processing, and lead the team in translate stakeholder questions into actionable quantitative analyses based on player behaviours.
- Professor (Open Rank) in Data Science/Big Data at WPI - Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA - Nov 15, 2013.
WPI invites applications for a tenure track (open rank) Professor position in Computer Science or Mathematics with a research focus in Data Science to begin in the Fall of 2014.
- PhD position on Big Data Mining for Customer Analytics at Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium - Nov 15, 2013.
Development of new predictive data mining techniques tailored to big data; and application to a variety of marketing analytics and risk management domains, with a focus on scalability and privacy.
- SBP 2014 Grand Challenge: explore GDELT, Global Database of Events, Language and Tone - Nov 18, 2013.
Explore the Global Database of Events, Language and Tone (GDELT), covering 250M geo-referenced political news events since 1979, to do interesting tasks, such as show applications of spatial, temporal and network methodologies, find latent "influencers", validate and improve models for social phenomena, and more.
- EMVIC 2014: Eye Movements Verification and Identification Competition - Nov 13, 2013.
The aim of the contest is to determine how people may be identified based on their eye movement characteristic. No special equipment required - the organizers provide a dataset of eye movement recordings.
- IBM SPSS Modeler Cookbook - Nov 19, 2013.
New book by leading analytics professionals shows how to get the most from IBM SPSS Modeler, using detailed step-by-step examples to help you build the models you can deploy in your business.
- Top 10 trends in text analytics - Nov 17, 2013.
Data Driven Business recently interviewed forward thinking text analytics professionals from leading companies like Bank of America, Home Depot and PayPal, on challenges they are face, overcoming them, and the industry as a whole.
- Future of Foresight Analytics - Making Organizations Smarter About Corporate Decision Making - Nov 16, 2013.
This guest post examines Insight and Analytic functions and what they need to effectively evolve by addressing key elements of the Insight and Analytics Value Chain(tm).
- LIONbook Chapter 13: Bottom-up (agglomerative) clustering - Nov 14, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free for personal and non-profit usage. Chapter 13 looks at Bottom-up (agglomerative) clustering.
- Predictive Analytics Cloud: Opportunities, Trends and Big Data Impact - Nov 13, 2013.
Highlights from a significant new report by Decision Management Solutions on Predictive Analytics in the Cloud: Opportunities, Trends and Big Data Impact. The top driver was reduced cost while data security and privacy remain the primary obstacles reported. Download this free report.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 15-17: Must read for Data Scientists: Deep Learning 101; Huge web graph publicly available for research - Nov 18, 2013.
Must read for Data Scientists: Deep Learning 101 (hot algorithm that wins competitions); Huge web graph publicly available for research, 3.5B web pages); Scandal: Due to bad data analysis, ~25% of studies may be false; Statistics is the *least* important part of data science
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 13-14: LIONbook Ch. 13: Bottom-up clustering; Databases for text analysis - Nov 15, 2013.
LIONbook Ch. 13: Bottom-up clustering, part of The LIONbook on machine learning; Databases for text analysis: archive and access texts using SQL and python ; Data Science vs Data Scientists, Data Analysts and BI Practitioners; Top 10 Blogs in 2013 from The #BigData Institute
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 11-12: 5 Fundamental Concepts of Data Science; 11 TED talks explore the dark side of #BigData - Nov 13, 2013.
5 Fundamental Concepts of Data Science; 11 TED talks explore the dark side of #BigData ; Nobel winner Daniel Kahneman: humans are BAD intuitive statisticians; Data Science Workflow - Overview and Challenges
- IBM Analytics Talent Assessment For Aspiring Data Scientists - Nov 15, 2013.
IBM Analytics Talent Assessment will be launched at 8 universities to provide students with data-driven insights that aim to help narrow the Big Data and Analytics skills gap and foster talent for the next-generation workforce.
- IBM Opens the Watson Cognitive Platform for Developers - Nov 14, 2013.
IBM opens the Watson Cognitive Platform to global community of developers, wants to fuel a new era of intelligent cognitive apps built in the cloud.
- NYU, Berkeley, UW multi-million partnership to harness potential of data scientists and Big Data - Nov 13, 2013.
NYU, UC Berkeley and U. of Washington launch a 5-year, $37.8M cross-institutional effort, which aims to improve interactions between researchers in specific subjects and computational experts, develop an ecosystem of analytical tools and research practices, and establish data-centric career paths.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- DBKDA 2014: Advances in Databases, Knowledge, and Data Applications, due Dec 12
- DMMH-14: Data Mining for Medicine and Healthcare, due Dec 22
- WSCD 2014: Workshop on Log-based Personalization, due Dec 23
- WSDM-WS: Web-Scale Classification: Classifying Big Data from the Web, due Dec 23
- MultiClust-14: Multiple Clusterings, Multi-view Data, and Multi-source Knowledge-driven Clustering, due Dec 31
- HetLearn-14: SDM 2014 Workshop on Heterogeneous Learning, due Dec 31
- MDA 2014: 9th Int. Conference on Mass Data Analysis of Images and Signal, due Jan 15
- ICML 2014 W: Int. Conf. on Machine Learning, workshop proposals, due Jan 17
- IMMM 2014: Advances in Information Mining and Management, due Feb 28
- ICML 2016 proposals: ICML-2016 call for site proposals, due Mar 31
"... we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." Abraham Lincoln, The Gettysburg Address, given Nov 19, 1863.