2017 Apr News, Features
All (110) | Courses, Education (8) | Meetings (19) | News, Features (23) | Opinions, Interviews (21) | Software (3) | Tutorials, Overviews (28) | Webcasts & Webinars (8)
- Cartoon: Machine Learning – What They Think I Do - Apr 29, 2017.
Different views of Machine Learning: What society, my friends, my parents, other programmers think I do, and what I really do.
- MIT Researcher New Meta-Analysis Method To Help Settle Unresolved Debates - Apr 27, 2017.
MIT Sloan professor builds new meta-analysis method to help settle unresolved debates. New method more accurately estimates basal metabolic rates and other effects only using prior studies.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 19-25: 10 Free Must-Read Books for Machine Learning and Data Science - Apr 26, 2017.
Also Practical #DeepLearning For Coders-18 hours of free lessons; Different views of #Machinelearning #cartoon #humor; Scikit-learn #MachineLearning classification algorithms.
- What Data You Analyzed – KDnuggets Poll Results and Trends - Apr 26, 2017.
Image/video data analysis is surging, JSON replacing XML, anonymized data usage is growing in US and Europe (but not in Asia), itemsets and Twitter analysis is declining - some of the highlights of KDnuggets Poll on data types used.
- Top Stories, Apr 17-23: Awesome Deep Learning: Most Cited Deep Learning Papers; The Value of Exploratory Data Analysis - Apr 24, 2017.
Awesome Deep Learning: Most Cited Deep Learning Papers; The Value of Exploratory Data Analysis; 10 Free Must-Read Books for Machine Learning and Data Science; Forrester vs Gartner on Data Science Platforms and Machine Learning Solutions; Data Science for the Layman
- Cartoon: the distance between Espresso and Cappuccino - Apr 22, 2017.
This cartoon takes a vector space approach to your favorite drinks and examines the distance between Espresso and Cappuccino. Warning: this is only funny to Data Scientists and mathematicians.
- Data Science for the Layman (No Math Added) - Apr 20, 2017.
Written for the layman, this book is a practical yet gentle introduction to data science. Discover key concepts behind more than 10 classic algorithms, explained with real-world examples and intuitive visuals.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 12-18: 10 Free Must-Read Books for #MachineLearning and #DataScience - Apr 19, 2017.
Also Modern NLP in Python, or What you can learn about food by analyzing a million Yelp reviews; The Periodic Table of #DataScience; What is #Blockchain Technology?
- More Deep Learning “Magic”: Paintings to photos, horses to zebras, and more amazing image-to-image translation - Apr 17, 2017.
This is an introduction to recent research which presents an approach for learning to translate an image from a source domain X to a target domain Y in the absence of paired examples.
- Top Stories, Apr 10-16: 10 Free Machine Learning & Data Science Books; 5 Machine Learning Projects You Can’t Overlook - Apr 17, 2017.
10 Free Must-Read Books for Machine Learning and Data Science; 5 Machine Learning Projects You Can No Longer Overlook, April; Forrester vs Gartner on Data Science Platforms and Machine Learning Solutions; Top mistakes data scientists make when dealing with business people
- Cartoon: Taxes, Artificial Intelligence, and Humans - Apr 15, 2017.
In honor of Tax Day, new KDnuggets Cartoon looks at an unexpected white-collar job that may resist automation and Machine Learning.
- ACM SIGKDD Calls for Nominations for Top Awards in Data Science, Data Mining Awards - Apr 14, 2017.
ACM SIGKDD, the premier global professional organization for data science and data mining, is calling for nominations for top awards in the field: Doctoral Dissertation Award, Test-of-time Award, Innovation Award (the "Nobel" prize of Data Science), and Service Award.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 05-11: 10 Free Must-Read Books for Machine Learning, Data Science; Making beautiful data visualizations in Python, matplotlib - Apr 12, 2017.
10 Free Must-Read Books for Machine Learning and Data Science; How to make beautiful data visualizations in Python with matplotlib; #DeepLearning in 7 lines of code; Data Science of Variable Selection: A Review.
- High Frequency, new journal on high-frequency data – submit your research - Apr 12, 2017.
Submit your research to HF, the first and only interdisciplinary journal on high-frequency data questions, including HF data assimilation, analysis, and/or methods for decision-making.
- New Poll: What data types you analyzed? - Apr 11, 2017.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What data types you analyzed in the past 12 months? Please vote.
- 10 Free Must-Read Books for Machine Learning and Data Science - Apr 10, 2017.
Spring. Rejuvenation. Rebirth. Everything’s blooming. And, of course, people want free ebooks. With that in mind, here's a list of 10 free machine learning and data science titles to get your spring reading started right.
- Top Stories, Apr 3-9: Top 20 Machine Learning & Deep Learning Research Papers; Brief History of Artificial Intelligence - Apr 10, 2017.
Top 20 Recent Research Papers on Machine Learning and Deep Learning; A Brief History of Artificial Intelligence; Medical Image Analysis with Deep Learning; Introduction to Anomaly Detection; The 42 V’s of Big Data and Data Science
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 29 – Apr 04: Free Must-Read Books for #MachineLearning; #Apache Slug, new #BigData project - Apr 5, 2017.
Also Self-driving talent is fleeing Google and Uber to catch the autonomous-driving; Using Docker, CoreOS For #GPU Based #DeepLearning; A Short Guide to Navigating the Jupyter Ecosystem.
- New James Bond is a Data Scientist: Data Science Challenge sponsored by UK MI5 and MI6 - Apr 5, 2017.
Two Data Science challenges were launched by UK Government agencies, including MI5 and MI6. One challenge involves classifying vehicles from aerial images, and another analyzing crisis reports. Can you take part and be the next James Bond?
- Top March Stories: 7 More Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python; 50 Companies Leading The AI Revolution, Detailed - Apr 5, 2017.
Also Every Intro to Data Science Course on the Internet, Ranked; What Is Data Science, and What Does a Data Scientist Do?
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, March: A Super Harsh Guide to Machine Learning; Is it Gaggle or Koogle?!? - Apr 4, 2017.
A Super Harsh Guide to Machine Learning; Google is acquiring data science community Kaggle; Suggestion by Salesforce chief data scientist; Andrew Ng resigning from Baidu; Distill: An Interactive, Visual Journal for Machine Learning Research
- Top Stories, Mar 27-Apr 2: Standardization and Specialization in Data Science; What is Structural Equation Modeling? - Apr 3, 2017.
Standardization and Specialization in Analytics, Data Science, and BI; What is Structural Equation Modeling?; The Best R Packages for Machine Learning; What makes a great data scientist?; Deep Stubborn Networks - A Breakthrough Advance Towards Adversarial Machine Intelligence
- Deep Stubborn Networks – A Breakthrough Advance Towards Adversarial Machine Intelligence - Apr 1, 2017.
The exciting announcement yesterday of Deep Stubborn Networks (StubNets) introduces an innovative refinement to GANs, taking their development in a new direction.