- Why the Future of ETL Is Not ELT, But EL(T) - Dec 4, 2020.
The well-established technologies and tools around ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) are undergoing a potential paradigm shift with new approaches to data storage and expanding cloud-based compute. Decoupling the EL from T could reconcile analytics and operational data management use cases, in a new landscape where data warehouses and data lakes are merging.
- Schema Evolution in Data Lakes - Jan 16, 2020.
Whereas a data warehouse will need rigid data modeling and definitions, a data lake can store different types and shapes of data. In a data lake, the schema of the data can be inferred when it’s read, providing the aforementioned flexibility. However, this flexibility is a double-edged sword.
- 4 Myths of Big Data and 4 Ways to Improve with Deep Data - Jan 9, 2019.
There is a fundamental misconception that bigger data produces better machine learning results. However bigger data lakes / warehouses won’t necessarily help to discover more profound insights. It is better to focus on data quality, value and diversity not just size. "Deep Data" is better than Big Data.
- Why the Data Lake Matters - Jun 22, 2018.
This post outlines why the data lake matters, outlining the complexity of a data lake and taking a look at its evolution over time.
- Data Lake – the evolution of data processing - Jun 14, 2018.
This post examines the evolution of data processing in data lakes, with a particular focus on the concepts, architecture and technology criteria behind them.
- Beyond Data Lakes and Data Warehousing - May 15, 2018.
We give a comprehensive review of data lakes and data warehouses, and look at what the future holds for total data integration.
- KDnuggets™ News 17:n35, Sep 13: Putting the “Science” Back in Data Science; Python vs. R: And the leader is… - Sep 13, 2017.
Putting the "Science" Back in Data Science; Python vs R - Who Is Really Ahead in Data Science, Machine Learning; I built a chatbot in 2 hours and this is what I learned; Are Data Lakes Fake News?; Python Overtaking R?
- Are Data Lakes Fake News? - Sep 6, 2017.
The quick answer is yes, and the biggest problem is that the term “Data Lakes” has been overloaded by vendors and analysts with different meanings, resulting in an ill-defined and blurry concept.
- Digital Transformation through Data Democratization - Jul 31, 2017.
Digital innovators will succeed because enterprise data doesn’t belong to silos and data has immense value, but only if available as a “whole”, to allow full picture of the enterprise rather than short term trends or baseline BI reports.
- How Hadoop, Spark, and Data Science are evolving – Nov 10 Webinar - Nov 8, 2016.
Find out how Hadoop and Spark are evolving for Data Science in this Nov 10 webinar and live Q&A with guest speaker, Forrester VP and Principal Analyst Mike Gualtieri.
- 2016: The Year of Hadooplooza - Dec 31, 2015.
Bruno Aziza examines the Hadoopalooza effect, how to avoid poor decisions to come back from the party a "Hadoop-loser", and what is needed to get value from data lakes.
- Webinar: 5 tips to get more out of Data Lakes, Dec 16 - Dec 1, 2015.
Learn valuable tips to help optimize Big Data for agility and speed to insight; improve data accessibility, without the limitations of data warehouses, and prevent data sources from becoming data silos.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Oct 13 and beyond - Oct 12, 2015.
Optimizing Data Lake, Data Mining: Failure to Launch, Easier Data Prep and Analysis for Data Scientists, and more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Oct 6 and beyond - Oct 5, 2015.
Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science - Oct 6 and beyond, Preventing a Big Data Letdown, Compensation of Predictive Analytics Professionals, Predictive Workforce Playbook, Fraud Detection, Optimizing the Data Lake, and more.
- Lavastorm Webinar, July 22: Data Lake – Five Tips to Navigate the Dangerous Waters - Jul 14, 2015.
Data lakes can boost analytic speed by making the right data much more accessible, even for less technical users. Learn valuable tips to help you optimize data for agility and speed to insight, improve accessibility, and avoid data silos.
- Gaming Analytics Summit 2015, San Francisco – Day 2 Highlights - May 11, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Gaming Analytics leaders from Activision, Riot Games and Daybreak Game Company (formerly Sony Online Entertainment) on day 2 of Gaming Analytics Innovation Summit 2015 in San Francisco.
- Data Lakes for Big Data, Free MOOC from EMC - Apr 23, 2015.
What can Big Data and Data Lakes do for you? Find out in our FREE Data Lakes for Big Data MOOC.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Apr 7 and beyond - Apr 6, 2015.
More Accurate Predictive Analytic Models, Enterprise Data Rapid Sense-making, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, Disrupting Traditional Analyst Workflows, Making Sense of Hadoop, and more.
- Interview: Beena Ammanath, GE on Data Science – It’s Not Just Science! - Mar 24, 2015.
We discuss benefits and challenges of Data Lake, trends, life lessons, motivation, desired skills, and more.
- Interview: Kenneth Viciana, Equifax on Data Lake & Other Strategies for Insights Culture - Mar 13, 2015.
We discuss the responsibilities of Enterprise Data Strategy team at Equifax, why Data Lake, Equifax Decision360, how to set up Insights Culture and bottlenecks for value delivery from Big Data.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Jan 20 and beyond - Jan 19, 2015.
Get Started with Hadoop, R, Smarter Data Lake, Platfora, Data Modeling, Tamr, Real-Estate Value Analytics, RapidMiner Modern Analytics and more.
- Dear CIO, what you have is NOT a Data Lake - Jul 17, 2014.
Data Lakes are often the ideal structure of a company's big data, but the reality is that data is often split into data puddles. Xurmo seeks to eliminate this by integrating Data Virtualization into the Data Lake.
- Top stories for Jun 8-14 - Jun 15, 2014.
KDnuggets 15th Annual Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Poll: RapidMiner Continues To Lead; Data Lakes vs Data Warehouses; The First Law of Data Science: Do Umbrellas Cause Rain? Huge Big Data Poster and Reference.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 6-8: Statistical-learning tutorial w. scikit-learn; Data science vs the hunch - Jun 9, 2014.
A tutorial on statistical learning with with scikit-learn ; Data science vs the hunch: When data contradicts manager gut instinct; Stanford University: Data Analyst ; Data Lakes vs Data Warehouses.
- Top stories for Jun 1-7 - Jun 8, 2014.
New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used? OpenNN, An Open Source Library For Neural Networks; Data Lakes vs Data Warehouses; Stanford University: Data Analyst.
- Data Lakes vs Data Warehouses - Jun 7, 2014.
Data Warehouses, traditionally popular for business intelligence tasks, are being replaced by less-structured Data Lakes which allow more flexibility.