All (89) | Courses, Education (10) | Meetings (7) | News, Features (22) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (20) | Publications (8) | Software (4) | Top Tweets (10) | Webcasts (8)
- Get Started in Text Analytics - Sep 30, 2014.
Text analytics / text mining is the natural extension of predictive analytics and has wide applications in marketing, business, and many industries. Learn text analytics with Statistics.com online program that starts Feb 6.
- Associations and Text Mining of World Events - Sep 30, 2014.
Applying frequent itemset analysis to text may seem daunting, but parallel hardware and two insights open the door to theme extraction.
- Taming the Internet of Things – KNIME Case Study - Sep 30, 2014.
With increasing interest in the Internet of Things (IoT), see how KNIME can be applied to collect data from IoT sensors, enrich that data, transform it, analyze it, and finally visualize it.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 26-28: Any data scientist worth their salary will say you should start with a question - Sep 29, 2014.
CNN embarrassing lack of "Data Quality" - this #Scotland Independence poll adds; Statistical & Machine learning with R; Any data scientist worth their salary will say you should start with a question; Automotive Customer Churn Prediction using SVM and SOM.
- GDELT: Big Data of News, Conflicts, and Society - Sep 29, 2014.
What is happening in this world today? Obviously, it is impossible for us to read and analyze billions of news reports published every day. GDELT is designed to record, analyze, visualize and even forecast our planet.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Sep 30 and beyond - Sep 29, 2014.
Not all graph databases are created equal, Evolution of Classification, Governing Big Data, Big Data Visualization, Best Practices for Applying Advanced Analytics in Hadoop, and more.
- Automotive Customer Churn Prediction Results, part 2 - Sep 29, 2014.
Learn how to apply neural networks and self-organizing maps to visualize the macroscopic relationships between clients and the maintenance evolution of cars over the years.
- Top stories for Sep 21-27: Data Science is mainly a Human Science; Data Analytics for Business Leaders Explained - Sep 28, 2014.
Neural Networks and Deep Learning, free online book (draft); Data Science is mainly a Human Science; Data Analytics for Business Leaders Explained; Predictive Analytics in Health Care.
- Automotive Customer Churn Prediction using SVM and SOM - Sep 27, 2014.
A Case Study of predicting customer churn using Life Time Cycle approach and advanced machine learning methods including SVM and Self-Organizing Mapping.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 24-25: Statistical & Machine learning with R, great 15 hour online course - Sep 26, 2014.
Watch: Statistical and Machine learning with R, 15 hour online course; 50 Data Science and Statistics Blogs worth reading; Microsoft: Data Scientist; Book: Frequent Pattern Mining.
- Apache Spark: O’Reilly Certification, EU Training, University Program - Sep 26, 2014.
Recent news on Apache Spark includes developer certification from O'Reilly, upcoming training workshops in EU by Databricks, and Spark tutorial events at major universities.
- Book: Frequent Pattern Mining - Sep 25, 2014.
Frequent pattern mining is one of the distinguished problems in data mining. Learn about methods, domains, and applications of frequent pattern mining in this comprehensive survey of the field.
- Lewis University Online MS in Data Science - Sep 25, 2014.
The Lewis online, 36 credit hour MS in Data Science degree program teaches advanced skills to effectively solve the math and computer science issues surrounding the analysis of large data sets.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 22-23: Machine Learning for (Smart) Dummies: 7 week course - Sep 24, 2014.
Machine Learning for (Smart) Dummies: 7 week course; Ex-Googler shares his #BigData secrets, creates Quest; Predicting crime with #BigData - "Minority Report" for real; Test Your Level of Expertise with SAS, R, and Python.
- Predictive Analytics Using Oracle Data Miner - Sep 24, 2014.
Learn about basic data mining concepts and how to apply data mining techniques to your data using Oracle SQL and Data Miner tools in this new book.
- Advanced Data Analytics for Business Leaders Explained - Sep 24, 2014.
A business-level explanation of most important data analytics and machine learning methods, including neural networks, deep learning, clustering, ensemble methods, SVM, and when do use what models.
- KDnuggets 14:n25, Data Science is mainly a Human Science; edX Learning from Data - Sep 24, 2014.
KDnuggets Analytics, Big Data, Data mining, and Data Science stories: Data Science is Mainly a Human Science; "Learning From Data" Caltech course - free on edX; Neural Networks and Deep Learning, free online book and more.
- PACE Data Mining Boot Camps, Oct 15-16, San Diego - Sep 23, 2014.
The PACE Boot Camps provide conceptual and hands-on training for the critical predictive data analytics techniques that help discover actionable patterns in Big Data. Reg by Oct 10 for a discount.
- COMAD India Graph Mining Programming contest - Sep 23, 2014.
Compete in the graph mining programming competition at COMAD 2014 and apply your skills to finding subcommunities in networks. Registration deadline is October 15th, and code must be submitted by October 27th.
- Data Science is mainly a Human Science - Sep 23, 2014.
Data Science is mainly a Human Science: in latest KDnuggets Poll, 62% of data scientists worked only/mostly on human data. At the same time, most data scientists worked with both human and machine data.
- NYU Stern Master of Science in Business Analytics - Sep 23, 2014.
The NYU Stern MS in Business Analytics teaches experienced professionals how to understand the role of evidence-based data in decision-making and to leverage Big data as a valuable strategic asset. Learn more.
- Predictive Analytics in Health Care: Helping to Navigate Uncertainties and Change - Sep 23, 2014.
Predictive analytics can help navigate the many coming changes in US healthcare, including aging population, less money, impact of ACA (Obamacare) - especially on pharmaceutical and medical supplies, the R&D process, investment and new product launches.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 19-21: Dilbert funniest cartoons on #BigData, data mining; Guess which pattern is random - Sep 22, 2014.
Guess which pattern is random, which machine-generated? Dilbert 20 funniest cartoons on #BigData, data mining, privacy; Data Scientist Cartoon; Neural Networks and Deep Learning, free online book (draft).
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Sep 22 and beyond - Sep 22, 2014.
Future of Hadoop Analytics, What Works: Open Source Analytics Software, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Evolution of Classification, Not all Graph Databases are created equal, Best Practices for Applying Advanced Analytics in Hadoop, and more.
- Data Analytics for Business Leaders Explained - Sep 22, 2014.
Learn about a variety of different approaches to data analytics and their advantages and limitations from a business leader's perspective in part 1 of this post on data analytics techniques.
- WCAI Research Opportunity: Understanding, Expanding, and Predicting Customer Engagement - Sep 22, 2014.
A new consumer interaction dataset from an international beauty retailer will provide researchers with an opportunity to investigate the interaction between customers and brands. Register for the Oct 17 webinar, and submit proposals by Nov 3.
- Key Bioinformatics Terms for Data Scientists - Sep 22, 2014.
Learn key bioinformatics terms including the various "-omics" and the differences between the types of DNA and RNA to help you understand one of the key applications of data science.
- INFORMS Analytic Maturity Model - Sep 21, 2014.
Inspect your organization, its analytics capacity, and its data and infrastructure using the new INFORMS Analytic Maturity Model to improve its analytics abilities for free.
- Top stories for Sep 14-20: Coursera Mining Massive Datasets MOOC; Rattle package for Data Mining in R - Sep 21, 2014.
Coursera / Stanford Mining Massive Datasets MOOC; Rattle package for Data Mining and Data Science in R; edX "Learning From Data"; Caltech course; Neural Networks and Deep Learning, free online book (draft).
- Neural Networks and Deep Learning, free online book (draft) - Sep 20, 2014.
A free online book explaining the core ideas behind artificial neural networks and deep learning (draft), with new chapters added every 2-3 months.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 17-18: 20 questions to ask a Data Scientist; Business Analytics ROI is 1301% - Sep 19, 2014.
20 questions you should ask a Data Scientist for a good conversation; Mad (Data) Scientist asks: "Why Are We Still Teaching t-tests?"; Great slides from @RDataMining: Intro, Data Exploration, Regression, Classification; Rattle package for Data Mining and Data Science in R.
- CuDNN – A new library for Deep Learning - Sep 19, 2014.
Becoming more and more popular, deep learning is proved to be useful in artificial intelligence. Last week, NVIDIA’s new library for deep neural networks, cuDNN, has attracted much attention.
- edX “Learning From Data” Caltech course - Sep 18, 2014.
This introductory Machine Learning course taught by top Caltech professor Abu-Mostafa covers theory, algorithms and applications, with focus on real understanding. Starts Sep 25 on edX.
- RapidMiner Resources: Educational Videos, Course - Sep 18, 2014.
RapidMiner videos focus on important and fundamental aspects of this software suite; the site also offers a "RapidMiner Analyst Preparation" Course of 43 videos which prepares learners to take the official RapidMiner Analyst exam.
- Most Viewed Web Mining Lectures - Sep 18, 2014.
Discover interesting lectures on topics like mining information networks and identifying influential members of online communities in this list of the top viewed web mining lectures on videolectures.net.
- Analytics Team Dissolution – Unique Case Study - Sep 18, 2014.
This unique case helps to understand how to build and lead an effective business analytics team, by learning from the sharp decline of one such team.
- KDnuggets 14:n24, Hiring Data Scientists; Most Viewed Machine Learning, Data Mining Talks - Sep 18, 2014.
KDnuggets Analytics, Big Data, Data mining, and Data Science stories, including Features, Software, News, Opinions, Interviews, Reports, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings, Jobs, Academic, Publications, Tweets, and CFP.
- 10 reasons to attend the Analytics 2014 conference - Sep 17, 2014.
Don't miss Analytics 2014 conference, at Bellagio Las Vegas, Oct 20-21. Here are the top 10 reasons why you should attend, including a KDnuggets discount.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World Boston, Learn Uplift Modeling - Sep 17, 2014.
Uplift modeling is a hot analytical method to predict influence, and its adoption is rapidly growing. Learn how to do it at several sessions at PAW Boston, Oct 5-9. KDnuggets Discount.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 15-16 - Sep 17, 2014.
14 Awesome (and Free) Data Science Books on Statistical and Machine Learning; Mining Massive Datasets, free on Coursera, by top Stanford researchers - starts Sep 29; Nike: Senior Data Scientist.
- Webinar: Learn Analytics Best Practices for Hadoop - Sep 17, 2014.
Learn how to overcome some of the main challenges of Hadoop and successfully implement your own advanced analytics in a big data Hadoop environment. Free RapidMiner Webinar, Oct 2.
- Rattle package for Data Mining and Data Science in R - Sep 17, 2014.
Try the newly-released version of Rattle, the open source R package for data mining, and enjoy accessing a huge array of data mining algorithms through a convenient interface.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 10-14: Most Viewed Machine Learning and Text Mining Talks - Sep 16, 2014.
Most Viewed Machine Learning Talks and Text Mining Lectures at Videolectures; 3 Marks of Real #DataScience; MOOC: Process Mining: Data science in Action.
- Coursera / Stanford Mining Massive Datasets MOOC - Sep 16, 2014.
Don't miss this Big Data MOOC on Coursera (free)! Top Stanford researchers teach efficient and scalable methods for extracting models and other information from very large amounts of data. Starts Sep 29.
- Text Analytics Summit 2014, San Francisco, Nov 4-5 - Sep 16, 2014.
13th Annual Text Analytics Summit West will be back in San Francisco Nov 4-5, with workshops on Nov 3. Join text analytics practitioners, vendors, visionaries and thought leaders from top companies. KDnuggets discount.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Sep 16 and beyond - Sep 16, 2014.
NASA Earth Science, Modern Regression Analysis, Strata + Hadoop NYC preview, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Data Science with R, Not All Graph Databases Are Created Equal, and more.
- INFORMS The Business of Big Data 2014: Day 2 Highlights - Sep 15, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data leaders from Accenture, Analytics Media Group, SAS and Intel on day 2 of INFORMS The Business of Big Data.
- Top stories for Sep 7-13: Hiring Data Scientists; MOOC – Process Mining - Sep 14, 2014.
Hiring Data Scientists: What to look for?; MOOC: Process Mining: Data science in Action; Most Viewed Machine Learning Talks at Videolectures.
- Exclusive Interview: Imran Siddiqi, SAP on Why the Business needs Ambitious Big Data Use Cases - Sep 13, 2014.
We discuss the selection and tracking of use cases, key points for designing a sustainable information architecture, the need for ambitious use cases, SAP's competitive differentiation, and more.
- Customer Analytics Summit 2014 Chicago: Day 2 Highlights - Sep 12, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data & Analytics experts from Microsoft, Sears Holdings and Obama for America on day 2 of Customer Analytics Summit 2014.
- Most Viewed Text Mining Lectures - Sep 12, 2014.
View some of the most popular text mining lectures from videolectures.net and learn about topics including mining web data and building large-scale information retrieval systems.
- What is Big Data – answers from thought leaders - Sep 12, 2014.
What do you think when you hear “big data”? Maybe take a moment and think about this, before you let all the opinions below influence you.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 3-9: What is Big Data – definitions from thought leaders - Sep 12, 2014.
What Is #BigData? Definitions from 40+ thought leaders; Fewer companies are hiring Data Scientists but #DataScience is still hot; Choosing the right estimator scikit-learn #CheatSheet; How do Twitter Analytics show followers gender, when they dont ask?
- Exclusive Interview: Imran Siddiqi, SAP on the Strategic Value Proposition of Big Data - Sep 11, 2014.
We discuss the impact of Big Data advancements on business strategy, value proposition of Big Data, importance of partnerships, key risks and mitigation strategy, how to win sustained patronage for Big Data projects and more.
- Customer Analytics Summit 2014 Chicago: Day 1 Highlights - Sep 11, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data & Analytics experts from ShareThis, Netflix and Ancestry on day 1 of Customer Analytics Summit 2014.
- Most Viewed Machine Learning Talks at Videolectures - Sep 11, 2014.
Discover lectures from a variety of summer schools and conference tutorials on machine learning in this list of the top lectures on the subject from videolectures.net.
- Interview: Joe Otto, Alpine on Selecting the Right Big Data Vendor - Sep 10, 2014.
We discuss Big Data vendor landscape, key relevant questions, Alpine's competitive differentiation, important qualities sought in data scientists, and more.
- MOOC: “Process Mining: Data science in Action” - Sep 10, 2014.
This 6 week online course provides data science knowledge that can be applied directly to analyze and improve processes in a variety of domains.
- Most Viewed Big Data Talks at Videolectures - Sep 10, 2014.
Learn about topics ranging from applying big data to industrial settings to using machine learning on big data knowledge graphs from these big data lectures on videolectures.net.
- Interview: Joe Otto, Alpine on Why Big Data is all about Empowerment & Collaboration - Sep 9, 2014.
We discuss the story of Alpine Data Labs, the recent recognition of Alpine, effect of YARN, major customer use cases, and challenges in consumerizing Big Data.
- Hiring Data Scientists: What to look for? - Sep 9, 2014.
Know key characteristics of what makes up a good data scientist based upon the three authors’ consulting and research experience, having collaborated with many companies world-wide on the topics of big data and analytics.
- Most Viewed Data Mining Talks at Videolectures - Sep 9, 2014.
Watch the top 25 most viewed popular data mining lectures on VideoLectures.NET to learn about topics ranging general big-data tutorials to monetizing data mining startups.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Sep 9 and beyond - Sep 9, 2014.
Modern Regression Analysis, Tamr and Forrester Research, Hadoop for Machine Learning, NASA Earth Science Data, Strata + Hadoop NYC preview, and more.
- Founders of Yahoo! and MySQL Invest in Import.io - Sep 8, 2014.
Import.io raises $3M round from Jerry Yang and David Axmark. Released a streamlined version of web data extraction tool with exciting new features.
- Top stories for Aug 31 – Sep 6 - Sep 8, 2014.
Sibyl: Google system for Large Scale Machine Learning; Four main languages for Analytics; Cartoon: Robot Labor Day 2050; Exclusive: Ajay Bhargava, TCS shares the Big Data Mantra.
- Exclusive Interview: Ajay Bhargava, TCS on the Ideal Analytics Curriculum at Graduate-level - Sep 5, 2014.
We discuss the differences between analytics and Big Data, the evolution of expectations from data science, important qualities desired in data scientists, ideal curriculum for Analytics focused programs, advice and more.
- Exclusive Interview: Ajay Bhargava, TCS shares the Big Data Mantra: Harness Data and Harvest Value - Sep 4, 2014.
We discuss how to tame Big Data through harnessing data and harvesting value, the top Big Data priorities in Insurance sector, short-term and long-term needs of Healthcare Analytics, and more.
- Top stories in August: Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science - Sep 4, 2014.
Also Deep Learning resources; Sibyl - Google system for Large Scale Machine Learning; Exclusive: Dell Management on Analytics.
- SAS Analytics 2014, Las Vegas, October - Sep 4, 2014.
Join nearly a thousand analytics professionals at the Analytics 2014 conference in Las Vegas on Oct 20-21. Learn new skills. Grow your network. Have fun! Big KDnuggets discount.
- Northwestern Online Master of Science in Predictive Analytics - Sep 4, 2014.
Build in-demand skills for the growing analytics field, prepare for leadership-level career, learn from distinguished faculty and industry experts, and build analytic expertise.
- August 2014 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Sep 3, 2014.
August 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Infosys, Enlitic, Guavus, Google buys Jetpac, Algorithmia, MedAssets buys Sq2, Yahoo buys Zofari, Adatao.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 1-2 - Sep 3, 2014.
#DataMining Reddit using Python and R #rstats; Is @TheEconomist wrong? Money does "buy" happiness, on the log-log scale; Facebook Data Scientists: Who Are They and What Do They Do; Online Master of Science in Data Science.
- Shifting CXO crowns and changing Analytics Leadership - Sep 3, 2014.
Learn about how the analytics landscape has shifted in recent years and how this has pushed the CXO to pursue higher levels of analytics competition to meet business needs.
- CoLaboratory: Doing Data Science Collaboratively Like Google Doc - Sep 3, 2014.
A review of CoLaboratory which enables data scientists to write code like on Google Doc.
- KDnuggets 14:n23, My KDD-2014 Report; Data Science for Humans or Machines? Labor Day 2050 - Sep 3, 2014.
KDnuggets Analytics, Big Data, Data mining, and Data Science stories, including my KDD-2014 report: The Biggest, Best, and Booming Data Science Meeting; The Magic Module network and Privacy vs Big Data; Sibyl: Google system for Large Scale Machine Learning.
- Sep 2014 – Mar 2015 Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Sep 3, 2014.
Coming soon: PAW Gov, ECML/PKDD, BayesiaLab UC, Big Data Innovation Summit, PAW Boston, PAW Healthcare, RecSys, Strata + Hadoop NYC, Analytics 2014, BigData TechCon, Data Analytics Week, Text Analytics Summit West,and many more.
- BayesiaLab User Conference, Sep 16-24, UCLA - Sep 2, 2014.
Research practitioners from leading organizations will gather at UCLA for the only event dedicated to applied research and analytics with Bayesian networks and BayesiaLab. Pre-conference program includes courses on BayesiaLab and Causal Inference with Graphical Models.
- Online Master of Science in Data Science - Sep 2, 2014.
Lewis University online MS in Data Science program offers two concentrations: Data Science for Computer Scientists and Data Science for Life Scientists.
- Webcast – Analytically Speaking Featuring Michael J. A. Berry and Gordon S. Linoff - Sep 2, 2014.
Berry and Linoff talk about the current data mining landscape, including new methods, new types of data and the importance of using the right analysis for your problem.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World London, October - Sep 2, 2014.
See Dr. John Elder in London at the leading Predictive Analytics conference, and get KDnuggets Discount - 15% off full conference passes to Predictive Analytics World London.
- KDD-2014 report, part 2: The Magic Module network and Privacy vs Big Data - Sep 2, 2014.
Here is part 2 of my report on KDD-2014, the biggest and the best Data Science meeting: The Magic Module genes, Privacy vs Big Data, and should we ask for consent of data subjects?
- Ontotext text mining, semantic search, and graph database - Sep 2, 2014.
Ontotext blends text mining, semantic annotation and semantic search with a graph database that infers new meaning at scale, helping organizations find meaning in large volumes of structured and unstructured data.
- Analytical Skills Survey for 2014 - Sep 2, 2014.
Have your voice be heard - participate in the Analytical Skills, Tools and Attitudes Survey 2014, and see the challenges faced by others.
- Age homophily for predicting age of mobile phone customers - Sep 2, 2014.
Homophily (a tendency of people to associate with others like them) is ubiquitous in real world and in social networks. We show the existence of age homophily in a mobile phone communication network and exploit it to predict the age group for all users in the network.
- New Poll: Did you do Data Science for Humans or for Machines? - Sep 1, 2014.
Did you do mainly Data Science for Humans (explainable models for a human decision maker), Data Science for Machines (accuracy-oriented black-box models for automated algorithms), or both? Please vote.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Sep 2 and beyond - Sep 1, 2014.
Streaming Analytics, Analytical Lifecycle, Modern Regression Analysis, Hadoop for Machine Learning, NASA Earth Science Data, Strata + Hadoop NYC preview, Ontotext, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 29-31: Data Analytics vs Predictive Modeling vs …; 100 top machine learning talks - Sep 1, 2014.
Data Analytics vs Predictive Modeling vs Data Mining vs Big Data; 100 most popular machine learning talks at videolectures; Intro to parallel iterative Deep Learning on Hadoop YARN; Jeremy Howard answers why he left Kaggle and what are his plans now.
- Cartoon: Robot Labor Day 2050 - Sep 1, 2014.
Amidst all the discussion about robots and automation taking over human jobs, new KDnuggets cartoon looks at how Labor Day can evolve by 2050.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in August - Sep 1, 2014.
New analytics, data science, data mining top stories page, meetings, KDD-2015, Certificates and Certification option, Data Analytics BS, software for text analytics and visualization and more.