KDnuggets™ News 13:n22, Sep 10
Features (12) | Software (2) | Webcasts (4) | Courses, Events (3) | Meetings (2) | Jobs (4) | Academic (4) | Competitions (3) | Publications (6) | Tweets (6) | NewsBriefs (1) | CFP (6) | Quote
- New Poll: Has Big Data Reached the Hype Peak and is due for Decline and Disillusionment? ( comments) - Sep 9, 2013.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking "Has Big Data Reached the Hype Peak and is due for Disillusionment?" Google Trends suggest that the growth in "Big Data" is over, but analysts are split. What do you think? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com.
- Stanford Data Mining, Finance, Statistics Courses Online - enroll by Sep 18 - Sep 5, 2013.
Earn world-class Stanford credentials in Mining Massive Data Sets, Financial Risk Analysis and Management, or Quantitative Methods in Finance. Enrollment for fall quarter open until Sep 18!
- Book: Twitter Data Analytics - free download - Aug 30, 2013.
New book, Twitter Data Analytics, explains Twitter data collection, management, and analysis - download a free preprint (PDF) and code examples.
- Save up to 57% on EMC Data Science and Big Data Analytics Courses - Sep 3, 2013.
"Data Science and Big Data Analytics for Business Transformation", a one-day course to develop Big Data-savvy business leaders, and "Data Science and Big Data Analytics" is a 5-day, hands-on practitioner approach to the techniques and tools, save up to 57%.
- CUNY Webinar (Sep 10): Talent Analytics - What Matters Most? - Aug 29, 2013.
Learn about Talent Analytics: Helping HR Identify and Manage the Best Talent and affordable Online MS in Data Analytics from CUNY SPS.
- PAW: Workshops Predictive Analytics World Boston, Sep 29 - Oct 3 - Sep 9, 2013.
Whether you're a young gun or a seasoned pro, Predictive Analytics World Boston has got the full-day workshop to suit your professional development goals.
- Webcast: Data Science: Not Just for Big Data, Oct 16 - Sep 8, 2013.
Join Data Science experts David Smith (Revolution Analytics) and Gregory Piatetsky (KDNuggets) for an open-panel discussion hosted by Kalido.
- Evolution from Data Mining to Big Data, Data Science Competitions Lessons, and Public Data Platforms ( comments) - Sep 4, 2013.
My presentation looks at the Data Mining/Data Science/Big Data evolution, reviews lessons from KDD Cup 1997, Netflix Prize, and Kaggle, presents a big list of Public Data Marketplaces and Platforms, and examines Big Data Hype.
- Top news for Sep 1-7: Twitter Data Analytics - book free download; Top Languages for analytics, data mining - Sep 8, 2013.
Book: Twitter Data Analytics - free download; Top Languages for analytics, data mining, data science; Sentiment Analysis Symposium 2013 presentations
Top jobs: Postdocs in CS, IR, Machine Learning, Data Analysis, Helsinki; Senior Knowledge Analyst/Lead Knowledge Analyst at BCG.
- Top news in August: The Age of Big Data - BBC Documentary; Top Languages for analytics, data mining - Sep 1, 2013.
The Age of Big Data - BBC Documentary; Top Languages for analytics, data mining, data science; Twitter Data Analytics - free book download
Top jobs: Research Scientist: Data Mining, Bethesda; Data Mining Programmer at Real Time Data Solution
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in August - Sep 1, 2013.
New big lists of Data APIs, Hubs, Marketplaces; Government and Public Data sources; New education options, Big data meetings, Analytics software, and Data mining solutions.
- Top news for Aug 25-31: Top Languages for data mining; Twitter Data Analytics - free book download - Sep 1, 2013.
Top Languages for analytics, data mining, data science; Book: Twitter Data Analytics - free download; New Book: Data Science for Business
Top jobs: Data Scientist at American Express; Scientists and Postdocs at QCRI, Qatar;
- Lavastorm Analytics Business Analyst Survey 2013 - Sep 5, 2013.
This new short survey focuses on you, the person driving analytics, and the skills that you need now and in the future - participate and see the common challenges, the skills necessary to succeed, and gain insight into your colleagues.
- Mikut Data Mining Tools Big List - Update ( comments) - Sep 3, 2013.
An update of the Excel table describing 325 recent and historical data mining tools is now online (Excel format), 31 of them were added since the last update in November 2012. These new updated tools include new published tools and some well-established tools with a statistical background.
- Webinar: Leveraging SAS with KNIME, Sep 19 - Sep 5, 2013.
This free webinar is for all those who wish to better leverage their SAS investment. What happens when you combine the best of the old world (SAS) with the best of the new (KNIME) ?
- Webinar: Credit Scorecard Development (Sep 26) - Sep 4, 2013.
Join this webinar to learn how to create automated and scalable credit scoring processes, close-the-loop on risk data, and design and deploy origination and behaviour scorecards.
- Webcast – featuring Bradley Jones and Chris Nachtsheim (Oct 16) - Sep 3, 2013.
Learn about optimal experiment design from the leaders in the field of design of experiments and winners of the prestigious American Society for Quality Brumbaugh Award.
- Upcoming September Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - Sep 2, 2013.
Coming soon: How to Train or Become a Data Scientist; Introduction to Big Data and Learning Analytics; Talent Analytics - What Matters Most; Modeling Analytics Dream Teams; Data Mining: Failure to Launch.
- DePaul MS in Predictive Analytics - Sep 2, 2013.
On-campus or online, DePaul MS in Predictive Analytics graduates develop both analytical skills and business acumen, with a choice of 4 concentrations: Marketing, Computational Methods, Hospitality, and Health Care.
- UCI Online Predictive Analytics Certificate - Sep 9, 2013.
Courses start Sep 30 and include Intro to Predictive Analytics, Defining Business Goals, Text Analytics & Text Mining, and Big Data. Enroll now.
- Predictive Models with PMML Workshop, Oct 24-25, San Diego - Sep 7, 2013.
The Predictive Model Markup Language (PMML) is the de facto standard to represent data mining and predictive analytic models. This hands-on workshop will explore how the PMML language allows for models to be deployed in minutes.
- SFBayACM Mining Big Data Camp (free), Oct 12 - Sep 9, 2013.
Join SFBay ACM Unconference or free camp and use the day to talk about data mining and learn about Predictive Modeling and Enterprise Data Workflows with PMML and Cascading.
- XLDB-2013: Extremely Large Databases Conference, Stanford, Sep 9-12 - Aug 29, 2013.
XLDB will bring together users and solutions providers to facilitate exchange of ideas for building, manage and analyzing extremely large data sets.
- Senior Knowledge Analyst/Lead Knowledge Analyst at BCG, Boston, MA - Sep 3, 2013.
Leverage analytics to deliver value to BCG clients, work with case teams, focusing on the analytics components of client deliverables including large data analysis, predictive analytics, data mining and other advanced analysis processes.
- Machine Learning Engineer/Scientific Programmer at Globys Inc, Seattle, WA - Aug 30, 2013.
Join a team of senior machine learning and data mining scientists, get Big Data experience, and make meaningful contributions to our new platform.
- Data Scientist (13010974) at American Express, New York, NY - Aug 29, 2013.
Be part of a team helping American Express accelerate digital transformation, designing winning applications and developing new Big Data capabilities.
- Machine Learning Engineer at Adobe, San Jose, CA - Aug 28, 2013.
Help build next generation of digital marketing products to maximize revenue and expand brand presence, by predicting on-line ads performance, building models of online users behavior and identifying key factors that affect these behaviors.
- Director of the Center for Data Science at Lansing Community College, Lansing, MI - Aug 29, 2013.
Lead the newly created Center for Data Science, oversee and coordinate all LCC research efforts and initiatives supporting institutional effectiveness and planning.
- Junior Data Scientist at Milano Ricerche, Milan, Italy - Sep 9, 2013.
Hiring graduate students for 1-year Junior Data Scientist positions, for developing new concepts and tools in 1) On line Social Networks, 2) Internet of Things/Services, or 3) Big and open data analytics.
- Postdocs in CS, IR, Machine Learning, Data Analysis at HIIT, Helsinki, Finland - Aug 31, 2013.
Many postdoc positions at Aalto U. and U. of Helsinki in Algorithms, Bioinformatics, Human-Computer Interaction, Information retrieval, Logic, Machine Learning, Networks, and Statistical Data Analysis. Apply by Sep 30.
- Research Assistant, Analytics at U. of Paderborn, Paderborn, Germany - Aug 30, 2013.
Participate in the research of applications and algorithms for machine learning / data mining, on topics like predictive maintenance or recommender systems.
- CrowdScale Challenge: CrowdFlower Sentiment and Google facts - Sep 7, 2013.
To help advance research on crowdsourcing at scale, CrowdFlower and Google are sharing two new, large challenge datasets for multi-class classification.
- Ubuntu Data Science Charm Championship - Sep 4, 2013.
Submit code solutions that solve data science problems using Juju, the service orchestration tool from Ubuntu, to wrap an application into a self-contained, reusable charm bundle. Do something interesting and win 10K.
- BattleFin Big Data Combine competition - Sep 3, 2013.
To test crowdsourcing and big data, BattleFin is launching a venture capital initiative to invest in early stage predictive models used to design innovative liquid hedge fund strategies.
- LIONbook Chapter 8: Specific nonlinear models - Sep 6, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free on a chapter by chapter basis for personal and non-profit usage. Chapter 8 looks at nonlinear models, from logistic regression to LASSO.
- Big Data Journal: Call For Papers - Sep 5, 2013.
Big Data, a highly innovative, peer-reviewed journal, is seeking high-quality, innovative submissions: original articles, reviews, commentaries and perspectives, brief reports, point/counterpoint articles, and letters to the editor.
- Privacy and Big Data: Stanford Online Symposium - Sep 3, 2013.
Experts look at Privacy and Big Data, Fairness of Classification Algorithms, 3 Paradoxes of Big Data, Buying and Selling Privacy, Prediction, Preemption, Presumption, and other topics in Big Data vs Privacy debate.
- Sentiment Analysis Symposium 2013 Presentations available - Sep 2, 2013.
Watch presentation videos and slide decks from the 2013 Sentiment Analysis Symposium (freely available) and help decide on future conferences in the field by taking a short survey.
- Galit Shmueli: Designing a Business Analytics Program: Structure and Content ( comments) - Aug 31, 2013.
On her experience designing a Business Analytics certificate program for the Indian School of Business, in terms of content and structure, and the skills and knowledge needed to make a valuable data analyst and a powerful consultant.
- Catching up with Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro - Aug 31, 2013.
BigML interview with me on how the knowledge discovery field has changed since KDnuggets launch in 1997, the relationship between data mining and machine learning communities, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 6-8: Reasons for the Data Science Mania; Learning Text Mining with R by mining Shakespeare - Sep 9, 2013.
Reasons for the Data Science Mania: Faster hardware, Open Source, Hadoop, R, Cloud, M; Learning Text Mining with R & tm by mining the complete works of William Shakespeare #rsta; Leading Data Scientist Claudia Perlich: Data scientist is to 2013 as "geek" was to 2003 an; My answer to Where can I find large datasets open to the public? http://qr.ae/NTd1O
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 4-5: OpenML searches 576K machine learning experiments; R top language for data science, data mining - Sep 6, 2013.
OpenML lets you search 576K machine learning experiments on 130 datasets; Poll: R top language for data science, data mining three years running; Statsoft online Statistics Textbook (free) - great resource for Data Mining, Data Science; Great collection of Data & Visualization Mistakes to avoid: bad pies, misleading bar charts
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 2-3: How Big Data/Data Mining improve education; Sentiment Analysis Presentations - Sep 4, 2013.
How Big Data, Educational Data Mining, and Learning Analytics can improve education; Sentiment Analysis Symposium 2013 Presentations publicly available; Ralf Mikut updates his big table of Data Mining Tools; More on R and Python (and SQL) and a small affinity between R and Python users
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 30 - Sep 1: Twitter Data Analytics, free book download; ZMap scans internet in 45mins - Sep 2, 2013.
Twitter Data Analytics - free book download ; ZMap, open source software, scans the Entire internet in 45mins; 10 tips for a successful predictive analytics project; To Go from Big Data to Big Insight, start with a Good Visualization
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 28-29: Data Science 101 Important Papers; Using R for Twitter analysis - step by step - Aug 30, 2013.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 26-27: Excellent New Book: "Data Science for Business"; R, Python top languages for data mining - Aug 28, 2013.
Excellent New Book: "Data Science for Business" presents fundamental principles; Most popular and trending languages for analytics, data mining: R, Python, SQL, Pig/Hadoop; The decline of a Statistician and the rise of Data scientist (and Data Analyst); Google "20% time" is effectively over
- Analytics, Data Mining, and Big Data companies activity in August - Sep 4, 2013.
The August 2013 acquisitions, startups, and awards in Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science and Big Data: Idibon, KXEN, uBeam, Birst, Precog, Roambi, Antuit, Twitter #BigDataC
CFP - Calls for Papers
- WSDM 2014-Phd: Web Search and Data Mining Doctoral Consortium Submissions, due Sep 9
- DST: SAC DATA STREAMS TRACK, due Sep 13
- CrowdScale 2013: Crowdsourcing at Scale, a workshop at HCOMP 2013: The 1st Conf. on Human Computation & Crowdsourcing, due Oct 1
- BDSA: Elsevier KBS special issue on Big Data for Social Analysis, due Nov 1
- SBP14: 2014 Int. Conf. on Social Computing, Behavioral-Cultural Modeling, & Prediction, due Nov 8
- ECSM: European Conf. on Social Media, due Dec 19
Every step the mind takes in its progress towards Knowledge makes some discovery, which is not only new, but the best too, for the time at least.
John Locke, 1632-1704, Brain Pickings, Aug 29, 2013