- Top stories for Dec 22-29: Data Mining Applications with R; "Data Scientist" catches up with "Statistician" - Dec 29, 2013.
Data Mining Applications with R; "Data Scientist" catches up with "Statistician", surpasses "Data Miner"; What is Wrong with the Definition of Data Science;
- Top Datasets on Reddit - Dec 28, 2013.
Most popular datasets on Reddit include NFL Game Metadata, Reddit top 2.5 Million posts, Zillow housing prices, and, of course, a database of cat pictures.
- Big Data In 2014: 6 Bold Predictions - Dec 25, 2013.
New bold predictions include: More Hadoop projects will fail than succeed, The need for automated tools will become critical, and #BigData will fly to the cloud.
- "Data Scientist" catches "Statistician", surpasses "Data Miner" - Dec 22, 2013.
The rapidly rising term "Data Scientist" caught up with "Statistician" and surpassed "Data Miner" on Google Trends. However, Statistics remains a lot more popular than "Data Science", which begs the question: What do Data Scientists do? Clearly, it is not Data Science.
- DMCS 2013 Data Mining Case Studies Practice Prize Winners - Dec 22, 2013.
DMCS (Data Mining Case Studies) 2013 Practice Prize was awarded at ICDM 2013 conference for a work on a novel and successful credit card fraud detection system, implemented in a Turkish bank. The Prize was partially sponsored by KDnuggets.
- Top stories for Dec 15-21: R leading, Python gaining; Top LinkedIn Groups reanalyzed - Dec 22, 2013.
Poll Results: R has a big lead, but Python is gaining; Top 2013 LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data; Predictive Analytics in 2014: Monetizing, Not Managing Big Data
- LinkedIn Hottest Skills of 2013 - Dec 20, 2013.
LinkedIn Hottest Skills of 2013 include Statistical Analysis and Data mining, Perl/Python/Ruby, Business Intelligence and several related ones..
- UMich Competition graduate students / post docs using SEARCH - Dec 19, 2013.
SEARCH is a statistical technique for understanding complex interactions among explanatory variables in describing a wide variety of phenomena. Awards for US grad students/postdocs trying to understand complex interactions in large databases.
- Poll Results: R has a big lead, but Python is gaining - Dec 18, 2013.
KDnuggets Poll results show that R has a big lead among data scientists and data miners, but Python is slowly gaining.
- Top KDnuggets Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science Stories in 2013 - Dec 16, 2013.
Salary of Analytics/Data Science professionals; Top Languages for analytics, data mining, data science; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science; Book: Twitter Data Analytics - free download
- Innocentive: Establishing a Business Value for Data - Dec 16, 2013.
Seeking methodology for quantifying the value of different types of business data in order to inform large scale investment decisions concerning improving data infrastructure, supply chain and management.
- Top stories for Dec 8-14: A Programmer Guide to Data Mining - Free Download; 3 Stages of Big Data - Dec 15, 2013.
New Book: A Programmer Guide to Data Mining - Free Download; 3 Stages of Big Data; New Poll: Did you switch between R, Python, or other Data Science Languages? Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data
- Top 2013 LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Dec 13, 2013.
We revisit our analysis of top 30 LinkedIn groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science and identify the largest, fastest growing, and most active groups. In 2013 the growth rate of top groups more than doubled, and growth rate correlated with the activity level.
- Data Science Toolbox virtual environment - Dec 12, 2013.
Data Science Toolbox: a new virtual environment for command-line data science - how it compares with similar environments: Mining the Social Web, Data Science Toolkit, and Data Science Box.
- Rexer Analytics releases 2013 Data Miner Survey Summary Report - Dec 11, 2013.
Highlights include Focus on CRM, Big Data perhaps not so big, The Ascendance of R, Challenges in the use of analytics, High Job Satisfaction, and a ranking of analytics software by several measures, including Ease-of-use and cost.
- Web Science 2014 Data Visualization Challenge - Dec 9, 2013.
The goal of this challenge is to encourage innovative visualizations of web data, especially interdisciplinary approaches. Use any of 4 huge datasets: web traffic, Twitter data, social bookmarking, or academic co-authorship.
- New Poll: Did you switch between R, Python, or other Data Science Languages? - Dec 9, 2013.
New KDnuggets Poll focuses on on the controversy around whether Python displaces R as language for Data Science, or whether R remains the dominant language. Please vote if you switched between R, Python, or other data analysis language in 2013.
- 3 Stages of Big Data - Dec 8, 2013.
The confusion around Big Data is partly the result of different aspects of Big Data which have very different meaning and produce very different results. We propose a 3 stage classification.
- Top stories for Dec 1-7 - Dec 8, 2013.
Harvard CS109 Data Science Course, Resources Free and Online; Open Source Data Science Masters Curriculum; Gates Foundation Grants: Big Data for Social Good; Statistical Community and Big Data disconnect
- Why RapidMiner? By Usama Fayyad, a Top Data Scientist and Entrepreneur - Dec 5, 2013.
With the current release of RapidMiner v6, and the introduction of application wizards to help business analysts instantly work with their data, RapidMiner will continue to be the platform of choice for anyone analyzing Big Data.
- November Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining companies and startups activity - Dec 4, 2013.
The November 2013 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: KPMG $100M fund, Jut, Alpine Data, RapidMiner, BIME Analytics
- Gates Foundation Grants: Big Data for Social Good - Dec 4, 2013.
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has awarded six $100,000 grants to help improve everything from disaster response to municipal services.
- Data Science for Social Good Summer 2014 - Dec 3, 2013.
The Eric & Wendy Schmidt Data Science for Social Good 2014 Summer Fellowship at the University of Chicago is looking for students, mentors, and project partners - apply by Feb 1.
- Red Button Solver Self-service big data analytics - Dec 2, 2013.
RedButtonSolver shows how to get insight from your data without a PhD in Statistics, by following 3 simple steps and giving you answers, including great visualizations, to 5 key business questions.
- Top stories for Nov 24-30: Harvard CS109 Data Science Course; Thanksgiving Big Data Cartoon - Dec 2, 2013.
Harvard CS109 Data Science Course, Resources Free and Online; Cartoon: Thanksgiving, Big Data, and Turkey Data Science; Yahoo SAMOA, Open Source Platform for Mining Big Data Streams
- Top news, jobs in November: Harvard Data Science Course; Field Guide to Data Science; KDnuggets Thanksgiving cartoon - Dec 1, 2013.
Harvard Data Science Course, free resources online; Field Guide to Data Science - free download; WDC Huge Web Graph; Cartoon: Thanksgiving, Big Data and Turkey Data Science
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in November - Dec 1, 2013.
Swift IQ, Plotly data and visualization platform, Data Science Programs, and more companies, datasets, meetings, software, and solutions.