KDnuggets™ News 13:n16, Jul 3
Features (7) | Software (1) | Webcasts (1) | Courses, Events (2) | Meetings (2) | Jobs (13) | Academic (1) | Publications (4) | Tweets (3) | NewsBriefs (9) | CFP (6) | Quote
- Bing Liu elected as new chair of ACM SIGKDD Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining Organization - Jul 2, 2013.
ACM SIGKDD is a leading research association for advancement and adoption of the science of knowledge discovery and data mining. The 2013 SIGKDD election have produced a new slate of officers, led by Bing Liu (Chair) and Michael Zeller (Treasurer).
- Caltech Symposium: Emerging Science of Big Data Visualization - Jul 2, 2013.
Computer scientists, artists, and designers gathered to discuss the emerging science of big-data visualization. Watch talks on Interactive Data Analysis, Reduction and Revelation, When Art and Analytics Overlap, Communicating Science to the Public, Visualizing Natural and Cultural Phenomena, and more.
- PAWGOV: Predictive Analytics World for Government - Jul 2, 2013.
Unlike any other government conference, PAW-GOV is designed to help Federal, State and Local government leaders, analysts, and program managers to understand how they can apply predictive analytics more effectively and efficiently accomplish their mission.
- Top news, jobs in June: KDnuggets Software Poll: RapidMiner and R vie for 1st; Very Fast Sampling Algorithms for Big Data; LionBook - Jul 1, 2013.
KDnuggets Annual Software Poll: RapidMiner and R vie for first place; Very Fast Sampling Algorithms for Big Data; Free online book on Machine Learning and Optimization
Top jobs: Data Scientists (all levels) at Amazon; Data Scientist at CivisAnalytics
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in June - Jul 1, 2013.
Algorithms.io, Kognitio, Wise.io analytics in the cloud; New consulting companies; Education options in Asia, online and US; New meetings, publications; Software, and Solutions for Healthcare Analytics.
- Top news for Jun 23-29: Top KDnuggets tweets, Machine Learning cheat sheet - Jun 30, 2013.
Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 19-23: Machine Learning cheat sheet; NYTimes BIG DATA 2013 special section; Datameer 3.0: first ever point-click machine learning for Hadoop;
Top jobs: SW Dev. Manager - Advertising at Amazon (Bangalore); Applied Data Scientist (Post-Doc) at Globys
- Top news for Jun 16-22: LIONBook: free online book on Machine Learning; Reaction to PRISM; Process Mining - Jun 23, 2013.
LIONBook: free online book on Machine Learning and Intelligent Optimization; Reaction to NSA Prism Data Mining: Outrage and Shrug; Process Mining Movie
Top jobs: Data Scientists (all levels), Amazon; Data Analyst at AllOut
- LIONbook tutorial: Lazy Machine Learning - Nearest Neighbors - Jul 2, 2013.
This charming and short tutorial examines a sample application of the Nearest Neighbors machine learning techniques in LionSolver to the problem of estimating the energy efficiency of a house.
- KXEN Location Analytics, Location-Aware Marketing Webinar (on-demand) - Jul 1, 2013.
Location-aware data is exploding, and you should use it to personalize customer relationships. Join KXEN to learn how you can use location-aware data to zoom in on each and every customer interaction.
- Stanford Learning Analytics Summer Institute - Online - Jun 30, 2013.
Learn about Learning Analytics ! Stanford Learning Analytics Summer Institute (LASI), July 1-5 is (massively) oversubscribed, but you can attend a series of local events and watch live-streamed keynotes.
- Maastricht Summer School On Data Mining, Aug 27-30, The Netherlands - Jun 26, 2013.
This intensive 4-day introduction to data mining methods and applications balance theory and practice, with each lecture accompanied by a lab. This school is intended for students, scientists, engineers, and experts in specific fields who need to apply data-mining techniques to their fields.
- Upcoming Meetings on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Knowledge Discovery, Jul-Sep - Jul 2, 2013.
30 upcoming Meetings and Conferences on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Knowledge Discovery, July - September 2013.
- DMCS 2013: Data Mining Case Studies and Data Mining Practice Prize CFP - Jul 2, 2013.
DMCS will highlight data mining implementations that have been responsible for a significant and measurable improvement in business operations, or an equally important scientific discovery, or another benefit to humanity. Submissions due July 27.
- Sr. Data Analyst at ISO Innovative Analytics, San Francisco, CA - Jun 29, 2013.
We combine vast data resources with leading edge predictive modeling techniques to create the most accurate risk models in the industry. The analyst will get customer data, clean and combine it, support pilot testing, and build and document models.
- Senior Scientist at ISO Innovative Analytics, a unit of Verisk, San Francisco, CA - Jun 29, 2013.
ISO Innovative Analytics develops advanced analytical solutions to challenging problems related to risk and decision-making for P&C, healthcare, and finance. Senior Scientist will manage all aspects of predictive-modeling projects and be the senior technical resource.
- Data Scientist at Quid, San Francisco, CA - Jun 28, 2013.
Help us push the boundaries of what can be done in a data driven product. Our product leverages statistical modeling, machine learning, and natural language processing and combines them with advanced visualizations to derive insight from data.
- Applied Data Scientist (Post-Doctoral) at Globys, Sydney, Australia - Jun 28, 2013.
If you have a PhD in an analytical discipline and an entrepreneurial mindset, here an the experience of a lifetime - spend three months working and learning with our world-class data science team in Seattle, then return to Sydney to work with one of our closest partners.
- Customer Insight Analyst - Retail at Farfetch, London, UK - Jun 27, 2013.
A rapidly-growing start up retail business is looking for a dedicated Customer Insights Analyst to analyse website performance, customer shopping behaviour, and digital marketing campaigns.
- Statistical Modeling Analyst at Analytics Media Group, New York, NY - Jun 21, 2013.
Design and build predictive models for a wide variety of clients and purposes, ranging from Fortune 500 consumer companies to political candidates and interest groups. Our disruptive technology was profiled on the cover story of the New York Times Magazine.
- Text Mining Analyst at WIL, Toronto, Canada - Jun 20, 2013.
Waterfront International is a Toronto-based quantitative finance research firm, specializing in developing computer based statistical trading strategies. Looking for a talented analyst to perform sentiment analysis using various news data feeds, to find patterns, build models, and derive insight.
- Quantitative Research Analyst at WIL, Toronto, Canada - Jun 20, 2013.
Looking for a talented analyst to develop, modify, optimize, test and implement real time quantitative trading models and strategies.
- Text Mining Sentiment Analyst at Stevens Capital Management LP, Radnor, PA - Jun 20, 2013.
Stevens Capital Management LP, a multi-billion hedge fund, seeks an analyst to conduct text mining and sentiment analysis on large news data to identify useful patterns and insight.
- Quantitative Research Analyst at Stevens Capital Management LP, Radnor, PA - Jun 20, 2013.
Stevens Capital Management LP, a $3+ billion hedge fund, seeks a quantitative research analyst to conduct quantitative finance research with a focus on statistical and predictive models.
- Software Development Manager - Advertising at Amazon (Bangalore), Bangalore, India - Jun 19, 2013.
Looking for talented managers who enjoy ideating new features, product definitions, creative algorithms, helping build large scale systems and who thrive in a fast paced fun environment.
- Senior Data Scientist at dunnhumbyUSA, Cincinnati, OH - Jun 19, 2013.
Help build tools for the next evolution in personalized shopping. This role is best suited for advanced machine learning/statistics people that can take research out of the lab and into the real world.
- Insights Analyst at dunnhumbyUSA, Chicago, IL - Jun 19, 2013.
dunnhumby is the world leading customer science company, analyzing data and providing insights on more than 400 million customers. You will work directly with our retail partners to better understand their business through the customer lens to drive better and faster decisions.
- Data Scientist at ND-GAIN, U. of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN, USA - Jun 29, 2013.
Use data science and analytics to help ND-GAIN enhance the world understanding of the urgency to adapt to climate change and other global forces.
- IDC Forecasts Strong Growth for Business Analytics Software Market - Jul 1, 2013.
The worldwide business analytics software market is expected to grow at a 9.7% CAGR through 2017, according to a new forecast from IDC. In 2012 the market grew only 8.7%, much slower than 15% in 2011. Data warehousing sector grew faster in 2012 than BI/Analytics sector.
- Wikibon: Industrial Internet and Big Data Analytics - Jun 24, 2013.
Data associated with the Industrial Internet - created by machines - holds more potential business value on a size-adjusted basis than other types of Big Data associated with the social Web, consumer Internet and other sources.
- Teradata ebook: Big Data Marketing Hero - Jun 21, 2013.
Teradata new ebook, freely available, gives guidelines on how to integrate information from all marketing channels, connect with customers in relevant ways, and help internal stakeholders understand the threats of divided data.
- Process Mining Movie - Jun 20, 2013.
A short movie explains what process mining is and how it works. Over the last decade, process mining emerged as a new scientific discipline that provides the missing link between process-oriented (BPM, WFM, etc.) and data-oriented (BI, DM, ML, KDD) approaches.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, June 24-30: Getting started with different tools; Datameer 3.0: machine learning for Hadoop - Jul 1, 2013.
Practical Analytics - getting started with different tools: RapidMiner, R, Predixion; Datameer 3.0: first ever point-click machine learning functions for Hadoop; You can create Word documents with R2DOCX; What engineers learn at Facebook #BigData bootcamp
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 19-23: Machine Learning cheat sheet; NYTimes BIG DATA 2013 special section - Jun 24, 2013.
Machine Learning cheat sheet - 1 page summary of key ideas; NYTimes BIG DATA 2013 special section; Training a Whole Generation of Data Scientists; How Data Scientist & Bitly Chief Scientist @hmason uses #BigData
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 17-18: LIONBook: free online book on Machine Learning; Amazon Data Scientists - Jun 19, 2013.
LIONBook: free online book on Machine Learning and Intelligent Optimization; Amazon Data Scientists, one of the most exciting machine learning job opportunities today; 4.4 Million #BigData Jobs expected in 2015; Data Mining screws Somali pirates
- Hunk: Splunk Analytics for Hadoop - Jun 30, 2013.
Hunk integrates exploration, analysis and visualization of data in Hadoop, and promises dramatic improvements in the speed and simplicity of analyzing data in Hadoop without programming, costly integrations or forced data migrations.
- DataMarket and ProQuest Major New Global Data Portal - Jun 29, 2013.
Researchers, students and library users will be able to search, compare, visualize and share billions of key facts and figures about the world, their countries and communities.
- Mu Sigma launches muHPC, packaged MapReduce algorithms for Hadoop - Jun 28, 2013.
muHPC is a library of popular statistical algorithms written in MapReduce, designed for enterprise-class Big Data analysis in Hadoop environments. muHPC initially includes R functions for linear modeling, exploratory data analysis, and clustering.
- Karmasphere, Zementis make PMML models available for Hadoop - Jun 26, 2013.
Karmasphere and Zementis transform PMML models into industry standard Hive UDF's for Hadoop, to allow data analysts easily use existing models, including from SAS, SPSS and R.
- Datameer 3.0: first ever point-click machine learning functions for Hadoop - Jun 25, 2013.
Datameer 3.0 will add new Smart Analytic functions, which, with a single click, will automatically identify patterns, relationships, and even recommendations based on data stored in Hadoop. Sign up as an early adopter.
- Actuate BIRT Analytics adds Predictive Analytics - Jun 22, 2013.
New features bring data to life through pattern detection, decision trees, and campaign workflow definition to effectively analyze data and execute campaigns
- NASA Asteroid Grand Challenge - Jun 22, 2013.
The challenge is a large-scale effort that will use multi-disciplinary collaborations and partnerships with other government agencies, international partners, industry, academia, and citizen scientists.
- Accel launches 100M Big Data Fund 2 for the 2nd Wave of Big Data Startups - Jun 19, 2013.
Accel Big Data Fund 2 will have a different focus its first big data fund, which focused mainly on the 3 Vs of big data: variety, volume and velocity. The second fund will focus on fourth V, which is end user value.
- SiSense first In-Chip Analytics Solution in the Cloud - Jun 19, 2013.
SiSense makes Terabyte-range analytics workloads in the Cloud easy and affordable, with costs as low as $1/TB per hour. SiSense will work with Rackspace to reduce cost and complexity from Big Data Cloud deployments.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- BDA 2013: Second Int. Conf. on Big Data Analytics, due Jul 14
- UDSM 13: Uncovering Deception in Social Media, due Jul 15
- ACML 2013: 5th Asian Conf. on Machine Learning , due Jul 24
- DMCS-5: Fifth Data Mining Case Studies Workshop and Practice Prize, due Jul 27
- ICDM-PhD: IEEE ICDM 2013 PhD student forum, due Aug 1
- BAFI 14: Business Analytics in Finance and Industry, due Sep 15
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
July 4, 1776 US Declaration of Independence, written by Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826).