- Analyzing GDPR Fines – who are largest violators? - Mar 6, 2020.
Fines from the GDPR have been rolling in since its inception in 2018. This article investigates who are the largest penalty recipients by country, the amounts, and private individuals.
- Why the ‘why way’ is the right way to restoring trust in AI - Oct 8, 2019.
As so many more organizations now rely on AI to deliver services and consumer experiences, establishing a public trust in the AI is crucial as these systems begin to make harder decisions that impact customers.
- Io-Tahoe Integrates with OneTrust and Joins Data Discovery Partner Program - May 31, 2019.
Io-Tahoe integrates with OneTrust to help customers populate the results of data discovery scans into the OneTrust Data Inventory & Mapping solution and trigger additional privacy workflows to maintain up-to-date records of processing.
- The AI Black Box Explanation Problem - Mar 25, 2019.
Introducing Black Box AI, a system for automated decision making often based on machine learning over big data, which maps a user’s features into a class predicting the behavioural traits of the individuals.
- The 7 Myths of Data Anonymisation - Mar 12, 2019.
Anonymisation has always been rather seen as a necessary evil instead of a helpful tool. That’s why plenty of myths have arisen around that technology over the years.
- AI, Data Science, Analytics Main Developments in 2018 and Key Trends for 2019 - Dec 3, 2018.
Review of 2018 and Predictions for 2019 from our panel of experts, including Meta Brown, Tom Davenport, Carla Gentry, Bob E Hayes, Cassie Kozyrkov, Doug Laney, Bill Schmarzo, Kate Strachnyi, Ronald van Loon, Favio Vazquez, and Jen Underwood.
- How Important is that Machine Learning Model be Understandable? We analyze poll results - Nov 19, 2018.
About 85% of respondents said it was always or frequently important that Machine Learning model be understandable. This was is especially important for academic researchers, and surprisingly more in US/Canada than in Europe or Asia.
- New Poll: How Important is Understanding Machine Learning Models? - Oct 30, 2018.
New KDnuggets poll is asking: When building Machine Learning / Data Science models in 2018, how often was it important that the model be humanly understandable/explainable? Please vote
- A Right to Reasonable Inferences - Oct 1, 2018.
As shown in this paper, individuals are granted little control over how their personal data is used to draw inferences about them. Compared to other types, inferences are effectively ‘economy class’ personal data in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- KDnuggets™ News 18:n27, Jul 18: Data Scientist was the sexiest job until…; Text Mining on the Command Line; Does PCA Really Work? - Jul 18, 2018.
Also: What is Minimum Viable (Data) Product?; Beating the 4-Year Slump: Mid-Career Growth in Data Science; GDPR after 2 months - What does it mean for Machine Learning?; Basic Image Data Analysis Using Numpy and OpenCV; fast.ai Deep Learning Part 2 Complete Course Notes
- Key Takeaways from the Strata San Jose 2018 - Jul 16, 2018.
By dropping 'Hadoop' from its name, the @strataconf 2018 in San Jose signaled the emphasis on machine learning, cloud, streaming and real-time applications.
- GDPR after 2 months – What does it mean for Machine Learning? - Jul 11, 2018.
Almost 2 months on from the GDPR introduction, how was machine learning affected? What does the future hold?
- Strategic Analytics Summit, Las Vegas, Sep 26-27 - Jul 9, 2018.
This Summit will bring together Big Data thought leaders, top business executives and analytics experts for two days of insights, learning and networking. Use code KDNU18 for 25% off.
- Weak and Strong Bias in Machine Learning - Jul 6, 2018.
With the arrival of the GDPR there has been increased focus on non-discrimination in machine learning. This post explores different forms of model bias and suggests some practical steps to improve fairness in machine learning.
- 5 Key Takeaways from Strata London 2018 - Jun 19, 2018.
5 highlights and thoughts from my attendance to Strata London 2018.
- Cartoon: GDPR first effect on Privacy - May 30, 2018.
New KDnuggets Cartoon examines the first unexpected effect of GDPR on Privacy.
- How Not to Regulate the Data Economy - May 24, 2018.
The GDPR will affect not just tech companies but any company that handles customer data — in other words, every company. And it will affect the use of data throughout the world, not just in Europe...
- How to build analytic products in an age of data privacy - May 17, 2018.
Privacy-preserving analytics is not only possible, but with GDPR about to come online, it will become necessary to incorporate privacy in your data products.
Studies have shown that only 1% or less of total users click on privacy policies, and those that do rarely actually read them. The GDPR requires clear succinct explanations and explicit consent, but that’s not the situation on the ground right now, and it’s hard to see that changing overnight on May 25th.
- What Does GDPR Mean for Machine Learning? - Apr 4, 2018.
This post investigates how the GDPR, which comes into force at the end of May, will effect machine learning.
- Strata London, 21-24 May – KDnuggets Special Offer - Mar 29, 2018.
Meet the data industry's leading innovators, hear compelling data case studies, brush up on your technical skills, and get GDPR compliant.
- KDnuggets™ News 18:n12, Mar 21: Will GDPR Make Machine Learning Illegal?; 5 Things You Need to Know about Big Data - Mar 21, 2018.
Also: A Beginner's Guide to Data Engineering - Part II; Introduction to Optimization with Genetic Algorithm; Introduction to Markov Chains; Your free 70-page guide to a career in data science
- Will GDPR Make Machine Learning Illegal? - Mar 14, 2018.
Does GDPR require Machine Learning algorithms to explain their output? Probably not, but experts disagree and there is enough ambiguity to keep lawyers busy.
- 3 principles for solving AI Dilemma: Optimization vs Explanation - Feb 14, 2018.
We propose 3 principles for maximizing the benefits of machine learning without sacrificing its intelligence.
- 5 overriding factors for the successful implementation of AI - Oct 6, 2017.
Today AI is everywhere, from virtual assistants scheduling meetings, to facial recognition software and increasingly autonomous cars. We review 5 main factors for the successful AI implementation.
- Deep Learning is not the AI future - Aug 25, 2017.
While Deep Learning had many impressive successes, it is only a small part of Machine Learning, which is a small part of AI. We argue that future AI should explore other ways beyond DL.
Pages: 1 2
- Predictive Analytics World, London, 11-12 October – Agenda is Live - Jul 24, 2017.
The agenda for PAW London 2017 has just been released and we want you to be among the first to know what the hot topics will be this year.
- How GDPR Affects Data Science - Jul 17, 2017.
Coming European GDPR directive affects data science practice mainly in 3 areas: limits on data processing and consumer profiling, a “right to an explanation” for automated decision-making, and accountability for bias and discrimination in automated decisions.
- Data Science Governance - Why does it matter? Why now? - Jul 10, 2017.
Everyone is talking about GDPR, Data Governance and Data Privacy, these days. Here we discuss what is it and why does it matter.