- It’s Getting Hot In Here: Data Science vs Fake News - Mar 29, 2017.
While some opponents still hold the misconception that the 'science is not yet in' on the culprit, the scientific community has long reached a consensus to the drivers behind the increase in global temperatures.
- KDnuggets™ News 17:n12, Mar 29: Getting Started with Deep Learning; Thinking Like a Data Scientist; What is Data Science?!? - Mar 29, 2017.
Getting Started with Deep Learning; Thinking Like a Data Scientist; What Is Data Science, and What Does a Data Scientist Do?; Key Takeaways from Strata + Hadoop World; Deep Learning, Generative Adversarial Networks & Boxing
- Standardization and Specialization in Analytics, Data Science, and BI - Mar 28, 2017.
We see beginnings of both standardization and specialization, with graduate analytics curriculum that covers math, statistics, CS, IT systems, and communications. We also see specializations in data science and BI, and verticals like marketing and healthcare analytics.
- Apple: Software Engineer – Local Search - Mar 24, 2017.
Seeking strong developers with a passion towards relevance and end-user experience, to be contributing towards monitoring/modeling/improving local search for Siri, Spotlight, Safari and other end points for users interacting with Apple Maps.
- What Is Data Science, and What Does a Data Scientist Do? - Mar 23, 2017.
This article is intended to help define the data scientist role, including typical skills, qualifications, education, experience, and responsibilities. This definition is somewhat loose, and given that the ideal experience and skill set is relatively rare to find in one individual.
- What Top Firms Ask: 100+ Data Science Interview Questions - Mar 22, 2017.
Check this out: A topic wise collection of 100+ data science interview questions from top companies.
- Podcast: The Golden Age of Data Science, featuring Gregory Piatetsky - Mar 21, 2017.
How did a stuffed yellow elephant permanently intertwine itself in history? What is a data scientist? Why is right now the golden age for data science? Data Crunch podcast examines these questions with the help of Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro and Ryan Henning.
- Data Scientists Might Have It Made For 2017 - Mar 21, 2017.
Companies all over the world have placed a lot of value on getting more insights from big data analytics. That’s not without good reason.
- Aetna: Lead Data Scientist - Mar 20, 2017.
Seeking an exceptional Lead Data Scientist to play a pivotal role in the creation and deployment of information products, and to manage and be responsible for the successful delivery of the algorithms, statistical models and reporting tools to meet business needs.
- The Most Underutilized Function in SQL - Mar 20, 2017.
Find out why md5() is an SQL function that's used surprisingly often, and find out how -- and why -- you can use it yourself.
- We Didn’t Start The Big Data Fire - Mar 18, 2017.
A parody of Billy Joel's song 'We Didn't Start the Fire,' rewritten to include the accomplishments of various Big Data influencers.
- Breaking Data Science Open: How Open Data Science is Eating the World - Mar 17, 2017.
Grab this free book on Open Data Science, a movement that makes the open source tools of data science—data, analytics and computation—work together as a connected ecosystem.
- 50 Companies Leading The AI Revolution, Detailed - Mar 16, 2017.
We detail 50 companies leading the Artificial Intelligence revolution in AD Sales, CRM, Autotech, Business Intelligence and analytics, Commerce, Conversational AI/Bots, Core AI, Cyber-Security, Fintech, Healthcare, IoT, Vision, and other areas.
- Analytics, Data Science, Data Management Training May 7-12 in Chicago – save 30% with KDnuggets offer - Mar 16, 2017.
TDWI comes to Chicago May 7-12, and KDnuggets readers get special savings! Save 30% through next Friday, March 24 using priority code KDSAVE30. Did you know that teams of 3+ save an extra 10%?
- 7 Types of Data Scientist Job Profiles - Mar 15, 2017.
There is no one profile for the Data Scientist, but I tried to make a few generic job profiles that can somewhat fit job descriptions of different companies. I think there is way too much variety, but I had to narrow down on a set of profiles. Check out the list.
- LeapYear: Lead Data Scientist - Mar 15, 2017.
Seeking a Lead Data Scientist, responsible for conceptualizing, developing, testing, and deploying machine learning products on customer data sets. You and our data science team will use LeapYear's platform to create value from the world's most sensitive, siloed data sources.
- 17 More Must-Know Data Science Interview Questions and Answers, Part 3 - Mar 15, 2017.
The third and final part of 17 new must-know Data Science interview questions and answers covers A/B testing, data visualization, Twitter influence evaluation, and Big Data quality.
Pages: 1 2
- KDnuggets™ News 17:n10, Mar 15: Becoming a Data Science Unicorn; What Makes a Good Data Visualization? - Mar 15, 2017.
6 Business Concepts you need to become a Data Science Unicorn; What Makes a Good Data Visualization?; Best Data Science Courses from Udemy (only $19 till Mar 31); K-Means & Other Clustering Algorithms: A Quick Intro with Python; Free Online Data Science & Big Data Books
- Data Science Game, Machine learning competition for students - Mar 14, 2017.
Improve your skills and have fun with other talented students from all around the world. Reg by April 9, online qualification ends May 31, and final phase in Paris, Fall 2017.
- 6 Business Concepts you need to become a Data Science Unicorn - Mar 13, 2017.
Are you a data science professional and want to advance your career as Data Science Unicorn? Here we provide important business concepts and guidelines required for a data science techie to become a Unicorn.
- Neuroscience for Data Scientists: Understanding Human Behaviour - Mar 8, 2017.
Neuroscience is very complex and advanced study of brain and people often misuse this term. Here we try to explain neuroscience terminologies and use of data science for such studies.
- How to Get a Data Science Job: A Ridiculously Specific Guide - Mar 7, 2017.
Job hunting is challenging and sometimes frustrating task and we all experience it in our career. Here we provide a very specific and practical guide to get your dream job in Data Science world.
- Schwab: Senior Data Scientist - Mar 6, 2017.
Seeking a Senior Data Scientist to partner with business teams across a variety of areas and applications, and work with business partners to understand business objectives and scope analytical projects that deliver insights and results.
- 3 minute demo: Data Science Sandbox as a Service - Mar 3, 2017.
Cazena Data Science Sandbox as a Service makes it simple to load data, and run R, Python, SQL and advanced analytics on a high-performance Apache Spark platform. Get a 3-minute demo!
- Freeletics: Data Scientist - Mar 2, 2017.
Seeking a Data Scientist to design experiments, test hypotheses and build models to support the continuous development of the algorithms team.
- Every Intro to Data Science Course on the Internet, Ranked - Mar 2, 2017.
For this guide, I spent 10+ hours trying to identify every online intro to data science course offered as of January 2017, extracting key bits of information from their syllabi and reviews, and compiling their ratings.
- Predictions for Data Science in 2017 - Mar 2, 2017.
Our predictions include: 2017 will be the year of Deep Learning (DL) technology, Artificial General Intelligence is still far away, Software and Hardware Progress will accelerate, and AI will have unexpected socio-political implications.
- Metis: Evangelist - Mar 1, 2017.
Metis is seeking an Evangelist to drive brand awareness and growth of Metis, leading outreach efforts to the data science communities in New York City, Chicago, San Francisco and Seattle.
- The Data Science Project Playbook - Mar 1, 2017.
Keep your development team from getting mired in high-complexity, low-return projects by following this practical playbook.
- KDnuggets™ News 17:n08, Mar 1: Deep Learning Frameworks Dissected; Gartner Magic Quadrant for Data Science Platforms - Mar 1, 2017.
The Anatomy of Deep Learning Frameworks; Gartner 2017 Magic Quadrant for Data Science Platforms: gainers and losers; Data Science vs Fake News Contest; An Overview of Python Deep Learning Frameworks; Moving from R to Python: The Libraries You Need to Know
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Analytics and Data Science leaders in San Francisco, Apr 3-5 - Feb 28, 2017.
The Marketing Analytics & Data Science Conference is coming to San Francisco April 3-5. Exclusive offer for KDnuggets readers saves you 20% with VIP code MADS17KDN. Reserve your spot today!
- Netflix: Manager, Content Programming Science & Algorithms - Feb 27, 2017.
Seeking a Manager of Content Programming Science & Algorithms, an experienced and entrepreneurial-minded data scientist. This is high-impact and challenging role, and will require both strong leadership and technical prowess.
- Continuum Analytics Webinar, Mar 8: Deliver New Business Value with Open Data Science - Feb 24, 2017.
Continuum Analytics EVP Anaconda Business Michele Chambers and Computational Scientist Ian Stokes-Rees will help you embark on your enterprise's journey to Open Data Science in this webinar.
- R2: DevOps for Data Science - Feb 22, 2017.
Seeking a DevOps for data science to join the research and development team. The right person will find him or herself in an exciting and challenging environment, at the interface of quantitative science, software engineering and industrial processes.
- 17 More Must-Know Data Science Interview Questions and Answers, Part 2 - Feb 22, 2017.
The second part of 17 new must-know Data Science Interview questions and answers covers overfitting, ensemble methods, feature selection, ground truth in unsupervised learning, the curse of dimensionality, and parallel algorithms.
- KDnuggets™ News 17:n07, Feb 22: 17 Must-Know Data Science Interview Q&A; Removing Outliers in Python - Feb 22, 2017.
Also Removing Outliers Using Standard Deviation in Python; Natural Language Processing Key Terms, Explained; Data Scientists Strongly Oppose Trump Immigration Ban.
- Short course: Statistical Learning and Data Mining IV, Palo Alto, Apr 6-7 - Feb 21, 2017.
This new two-day course gives a detailed and modern overview of statistical models used by data scientists for prediction and inference, with emphasis on tools useful for tackling modern-day data analysis problems.
- Creativity is Crucial in Data Science - Feb 20, 2017.
Creativity and Innovation are integral to Data Science and going forward in the world of AI, those are the things that will give edge to the humans over the machines.
- Gain the Skills for the Hottest Careers in Analytics - Feb 17, 2017.
Get 25% off All Online Courses* from TDWI, the Industry's Best BI & Analytics Online Education! Use special KDnuggets discount code DATALOVE by Fri 3/3 @ Midnight PT.
- Apache Arrow and Apache Parquet: Why We Needed Different Projects for Columnar Data, On Disk and In-Memory - Feb 16, 2017.
Apache Parquet and Apache Arrow both focus on improving performance and efficiency of data analytics. These two projects optimize performance for on disk and in-memory processing
- Webinar: The Data Science Sandbox as a Service, March 8 - Feb 16, 2017.
The platform includes storage, data movers, processing and embedded analytics tools including RStudio Server Pro - see it in action at this expert webinar and live demo.
- 17 More Must-Know Data Science Interview Questions and Answers - Feb 15, 2017.
17 new must-know Data Science Interview questions and answers include lessons from failure to predict 2016 US Presidential election and Super Bowl LI comeback, understanding bias and variance, why fewer predictors might be better, and how to make a model more robust to outliers.
Pages: 1 2
- Scripps: Director, Data Science - Feb 14, 2017.
Seeking a Director, Data Science, to lead and direct work associated with advanced analytics in the enterprise analytics team, blending the skills of a business thinker with those of a data analyst: asking questions, turning data into knowledge, forming conclusions, and making recommendations.
- Career Advice for Analytics & Data Science Professionals - Feb 13, 2017.
In our experience working with many quantitative professionals over the years, the two main areas that contribute to long-term career growth are networking and continuous learning. Here is specific advice on how to do this and tips for Continuous Learning.
- KDnuggets Top Blogger: An Interview with Brandon Rohrer, Top Data Scientist - Feb 13, 2017.
Read an interview with Top KDnuggets Blogger Brandon Rohrer, and get his thoughts on data science, newcomers to the field, and his ambitious pet project.
- The Data Science of NYC Taxi Trips: An Analysis & Visualization - Feb 10, 2017.
This post outlines using Google BigQuery for an analysis of NYC Taxi Trips in the cloud, presenting the analysis and visualization in Tableau Public for readers to interact with.
- Getting Real World Results From Agile Data Science Teams - Feb 10, 2017.
In this post, I’ll look at the practical ingredients of managing agile data science. By using agile data science methods, we help data teams do fast and directed work, and manage the inherent uncertainty of data science and application development.
- 50+ Useful Machine Learning & Prediction APIs, updated - Feb 8, 2017.
Very useful, updated list of 50+ APIs in machine learning, prediction, text analytics & classification, face recognition, language translation, and more.
- Forrester Study: Companies Using Data Science Platforms Are Surpassing The Competition - Feb 8, 2017.
Companies that regularly exceed shareholder expectations have something in common: 88% of them use a fully functional platform to do data science work. Get the white paper from Forrester to learn more.
- KDnuggets™ News 17:n05, Feb 8: Identifying Better Predictors; 5 Career Paths in Big Data, Data Science Explained - Feb 8, 2017.
Identifying Variables That Might Be Better Predictors; 5 Career Paths in Big Data and Data Science, Explained; 5 Free Courses for Getting Started in Artificial Intelligence; 3 practical thoughts on why deep learning performs so well
- 5 Career Paths in Big Data and Data Science, Explained - Feb 6, 2017.
Sexiest job... massive shortage... blah blah blah. Are you looking to get a real handle on the career paths available in "Data Science" and "Big Data?" Read this article for insight on where to look to sharpen the required entry-level skills.
- Learn Tools, Tricks & Techniques of Data Science in Boston, Apr 3-5 - Feb 3, 2017.
TDWI will present a 3-day Accelerate Conference on April 3–5, 2017 in Boston, with sessions on core data science skills including R, Python, and Spark. KDnuggets members save 20% through Feb 10, 2017 with priority code KD20.
- Identifying Variables That Might Be Better Predictors - Feb 2, 2017.
This blog serves to expand on the approach that the data science team uses to identify (and quantify) which variables and metrics are better predictors of performance.
- Online MS in Data Science and in Business Analytics programs from Merrimack College - Feb 2, 2017.
Higher salaries, an exploding job market, and two Master's programs from Merrimack College mean this is the year for data science... and for you!
- Fixing Deployment and Iteration Problems in CRISP-DM - Feb 1, 2017.
Many analytic models are not deployed effectively into production while others are not maintained or updated. Applying decision modeling and decision management technology within CRISP-DM addresses this.
- ODSC Masterclass Summit, San Francisco, March 1-2: Premium Data Science Training + Save 25% thru Jan 31 - Jan 31, 2017.
Deep Learning is on everyone's list of top skills to learn in 2017. ODSC Masterclass Summit, San Francisco, March 1-2 offers 2 intense days of hands-on training in deep learning. Use discount code: KD25 for an extra 25% Off before it expires Jan 31 at 11 PM!
- Marketing Analytics and Data Science conference, Apr 3-5, San Francisco – KDnuggets Offer - Jan 26, 2017.
The Marketing Analytics and Data Science conference is happening April 3-5 in San Francisco. Exclusive KDnuggets offer saves you 20% with VIP Code MADS17KDN. Register today!
- Why the Data Scientist and Data Engineer Need to Understand Virtualization in the Cloud - Jan 25, 2017.
This article covers the value of understanding the virtualization constructs for the data scientist and data engineer as they deploy their analysis onto all kinds of cloud platforms. Virtualization is a key enabling layer of software for these data workers to be aware of and to achieve optimal results from.
Pages: 1 2
- KDnuggets™ News 17:n03, Jan 25: Automated Machine Learning Overview; Data Science Puzzle; Chatbots on Steroids - Jan 25, 2017.
The Current State of Automated Machine Learning; The Data Science Puzzle, Revisited; Chatbots on Steroids; Data Science of Sales Calls: 3 Actionable Findings; Four Problems in Using CRISP-DM and How To Fix Them
- Deploying Production-grade Data Products – Special Report - Jan 24, 2017.
Dataiku launched a survey a few months back to find out how companies handled going from designing to deploying a data product. Read the report and learn four ways that companies approach production.
- Bringing Business Clarity To CRISP-DM - Jan 24, 2017.
Many analytic projects fail to understand the business problem they are trying to solve. Correctly applying decision modeling in the Business Understanding phase of CRISP-DM brings clarity to the business problem.
- The Data Science Puzzle, Revisited - Jan 20, 2017.
The data science puzzle is re-examined through the relationship between several key concepts in the realm, and incorporates important updates and observations from the past year. The result is a modified explanatory graphic and rationale.
- Get Early Price for the priceless: Strata + Hadoop World - Jan 19, 2017.
Whatever you want to learn about data, you’ll find it at Strata + Hadoop World. Take a look at the program and see for yourself, and register by midnight January 20 with code PCKDNG and save up to $670 on your pass.
- KDnuggets™ News 17:n02, Jan 18: Most Popular Language For Machine Learning; Analytics & Data Science Make Business Smarter - Jan 18, 2017.
The Most Popular Language For Machine Learning and Data Science; Analytics & Data Science Make Business Smarter; Exclusive: Interview with Jeremy Howard on Deep Learning, Kaggle, Data Science; 90 Active Blogs on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science
- Data Scientist New Year Resolutions for 2017 - Jan 17, 2017.
Do you make any new year resolutions? Hit the gym more often? Lose that last 10 pounds? While personal resolutions often get a bad rap, setting professional goals at the start of the new year is not necessarily a bad idea. Check out one data scientist's new year resolutions for 2017.
- 90 Active Blogs on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science, Machine Learning (updated) - Jan 17, 2017.
Stay up-to-date in the data science with active blogs. This is a list of 90 recently active blogs on Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning, and Artificial intelligence.
Pages: 1 2
- Big Data and the Internet of Things don’t make business smarter, Analytics and Data Science do - Jan 12, 2017.
Big Data does not convert data into actionable information. Big Data does not create value. But Data Science does, and it does not have to be complex or expensive, or even big.
- The Most Popular Language For Machine Learning and Data Science Is … - Jan 11, 2017.
When it comes to choosing programming language for Data Analytics projects or job prospects, people have different opinions depending on their career backgrounds and domains they worked in. Here is the analysis of data from indeed.com with respect to choice of programming language for machine learning and data science.
- A Non-comprehensive List of Awesome Things Other People Did in 2016 - Jan 10, 2017.
A top statistics professor and statistical researcher reflects on a number of awesome accomplishments by individuals in, and related to, the fields of statistics and data science, with a focus on the world of academia but with resonance far beyond.
- AI, Data Science, Machine Learning: Main Developments in 2016, Key Trends in 2017 - Jan 10, 2017.
2017 is here. Check out an encore installation in our "Main Developments in 2016 and Key Trends in 2017" series, where experts weigh in with their opinions.
- A Tasty approach to data science - Jan 7, 2017.
Data scientists at Foodpairing help brands cut down on the fuzzy front end of product development. The so-called Consumer Flavor Intelligence combines internet data and food science to create timely flavor line extensions.
- Syracuse University, School of Information Studies: Open Rank Faculty Position Data Science - Jan 6, 2017.
Join renowned and interdisciplinary faculty of Syracuse U. School of Information Studies (The iSchool) in Data science, Cloud management, and or Cloud/distributed computing.
- Sound Data Science: Avoiding the Most Pernicious Prediction Pitfall - Jan 5, 2017.
Data science and predictive analytics can provide huge value, but they can mislead and backfire if not used with fail-safe measures. The author gives examples of such problems and provides guidelines to avoid them.
- Supercharge Your Data Science Team with AnacondaCON Team Discount, till Jan 16 - Jan 3, 2017.
AnacondaCON '17 will help you conquer your biggest data science challenges. Learn from industry experts sharing what #OpenDataScienceMeans and their best practices. Get 2 for 1 ticket price thru Jan 16, 2017.
- Apple: Data Science Engineer - Dec 21, 2016.
Changing the world is all in a day's work at Apple. If you love innovation, here's your chance to make a career of it. You'll work hard. But the job comes with more than a few perks.
- Data Science Basics: Power Laws and Distributions - Dec 21, 2016.
Power laws and other relationships between observable phenomena may not seem like they are of any interest to data science, at least not to newcomers to the field, but this post provides an overview and suggests how they may be.
- Supercharge Your Data Science Team, Dec 21 Webinar - Dec 20, 2016.
On December 21st, Continuum Analytics CTO Peter Wang will share how you can supercharge your Data Science team by simplifying the building process for even the most complicated dashboards and display streaming data in real time.
- 3rd Annual Global Data Science Conference, Santa Clara, March 27-29, 2017 - Dec 19, 2016.
Get ready for one of the leading and vendor agnostic Global Big Data Conference, happening at Santa Clara, CA on March 27-29 2017. Register now with promo code: KDNUGGETS and save upto $200.
- Data Science & Ancestry - Dec 17, 2016.
Ancestry is curious topic for many people to find out their origin and history. Today, data science is used to help these people to dig into their family history and build the family trees.
- The 5 Basic Types of Data Science Interview Questions - Dec 16, 2016.
Data science interviews are notoriously complex, but most of what they throw at you will fall into one of these categories.
- 50+ Data Science, Machine Learning Cheat Sheets, updated - Dec 14, 2016.
Gear up to speed and have concepts and commands handy in Data Science, Data Mining, and Machine learning algorithms with these cheat sheets covering R, Python, Django, MySQL, SQL, Hadoop, Apache Spark, Matlab, and Java.
- Data Science Basics: What Types of Patterns Can Be Mined From Data? - Dec 14, 2016.
Why do we mine data? This post is an overview of the types of patterns that can be gleaned from data mining, and some real world examples of said patterns.
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n44, Dec 14: Key Data Science 2016 Events, 2017 Trends; Where Data Science was applied; Bayesian Basics - Dec 14, 2016.
Data Science, Predictive Analytics Main Developments in 2016, Key Trends in 2017; Where Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science were applied in 2016; Bayesian Basics, Explained; Data Science Trends To Look Out For In 2017; Artificial Neural Networks (ANN) Introduction
- Data Science, Predictive Analytics Main Developments in 2016 and Key Trends for 2017 - Dec 13, 2016.
Key themes included the polling failures in 2016 US Elections, Deep Learning, IoT, greater focus on value and ROI, and increasing adoption of predictive analytics by the "masses" of industry.
Pages: 1 2
- Springboard launches data science bootcamp with a job guarantee - Dec 12, 2016.
Springboard Data Science Career Track is the first online data science bootcamp that offers a job guarantee to its graduates. Springboard tracked 50 graduates and saw that all got a job within 6 months, with a median increase of $18,000 in first-year salary.
- Data Science and Big Data: Definitions and Common Myths - Dec 12, 2016.
A well-set data strategy is becoming fundamental to every business, regardless the actual size of the datasets used. However, in order to establish a data framework that works, there are a few misconceptions that need to be clarified.
- Data Science Trends To Look Out For In 2017 - Dec 8, 2016.
Machine Learning is here to stay, with more firms following Google and Facebook in the race to attract the best machine learning experts and Data Scientists. We also see a merger of IoT and Data Science. Read on for more trends.
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n43, Dec 7: Where did you use Data Science? The hard thing about Deep Learning; Big Data Main Events in 2016, Key Trends for 2017 - Dec 7, 2016.
Where did you apply Analytics, Data Science in 2016? Big Data Main Developments in 2016 and Key Trends in 2017; The Data Science Delusion; The hard thing about deep learning.
- Kobielus Predictions for Data Science in 2017 - Dec 5, 2016.
IBM Data Evangelist James Kobielus predictions for 2017, including key role of data scientists in survival of their companies. Join industry experts for a live #MakeDataSimple Crowdchat on Thursday December 8 at 1:00pm EST.
- Academic/Research positions in Business Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning in November 2016 - Dec 2, 2016.
Faculty/Postdoc positions in Data Science/Machine Learning at DePaul, UCSB, Virginia Tech, Barcelona U, Aarhus U, Georgia State U, U. of Innsbruck, Drexel, CMU, Oregon State U, Iowa State, and more.
- Upcoming Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science: December 2016 and Beyond - Dec 2, 2016.
Coming soon: IEEE Big Data, Big Data/Business Analytics Innovation Summits Las Vegas, AnacondaCON Austin, WSDM 2017 Cambridge, TDWI Las Vegas, and more.
- Interviews with Data Scientists: Claudia Perlich - Dec 2, 2016.
In this wide-ranging interview, Roberto Zicari talks to a leading Data Scientist Claudia Perlich about what they must know about Machine Learning and evaluation, domain knowledge, data blending, and more.
Pages: 1 2
- Data Science Deployments With Docker - Dec 1, 2016.
With the recent release of NVIDIA’s nvidia-docker tool, accessing GPUs from within Docker is a breeze. In this tutorial we’ll walk you through setting up nvidia-docker so you too can deploy machine learning models with ease.
- Top Reasons Why Big Data, Data Science, Analytics Initiatives Fail - Dec 1, 2016.
We examine the main reasons for failure in Big Data, Data Science, and Analytics projects which include lack of clear mandate, resistance to change, and not asking the right questions, and what can be done to address these problems.
- The Data Science Delusion - Nov 30, 2016.
Gleanings from observed technical misunderstandings between business leaders and data scientists (and among data scientists themselves) so dramatic that one could start wondering whether there is something wrong with data science as it is being practiced.
Pages: 1 2
- Industries / Fields where you applied Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science in 2016? - Nov 29, 2016.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What are the Industries/Fields where you applied Analytics, Data Science, Data Mining in 2016? Please vote and we will publish the analysis and trends.
- 10 Tips to Improve your Data Science Interview - Nov 29, 2016.
Interviewing is a skill. Here are 10 tips and resources to improve your Data Science interviews.
- RCloud – DevOps for Data Science - Nov 28, 2016.
After almost two decades of software development, term – DevOps was coined and officially given importance to collaboration between development and deployment of software systems. In this early stage of Data Science field, use of standardized and empirical practises like DevOps will definitely speed up its evolution.
- Why We Need Data Science - Nov 26, 2016.
A gentle reminder as to why we need Data Science, reasons for which even you may have been guilty of offending at some point. A basic topic, to be sure, making it all the more important.
- Top 10 Facebook Groups for Big Data, Data Science, and Machine Learning - Nov 23, 2016.
Social media now not only shares friendship connections or photos of “selfies” but also spreads from political media to science information. Social network members are tending to more eagerly learn about big data, data science and machine learning through groups. We review the ten largest Facebook groups in this area.
- DePaul University: Assistant Professor in Data Science - Nov 22, 2016.
Seeking an Assistant Professor in Data Science to be part of one of the fastest growing and most highly recognized data science programs in the country.
- Predictive Science vs Data Science - Nov 22, 2016.
Is Predictive Science accurately represented by the term Data Science? As a matter of fact, are any of Data Science's constituent sciences well-represented by the umbrella term? This post discusses a few of these points at a high level.
- The Experience of Being a High-Performing Data Scientist - Nov 21, 2016.
Now in open beta, IBM Data Science Experience (DSX) delivers Machine Learning, Collaboration, and Creative capabilities in an open and integrated environment for team data science, including many productivity features for next-generation data science,
- Data Avengers… Assemble! - Nov 19, 2016.
The Avengers are perfectly capable of defending the Earth from our worst enemies. But are they up to the task of taking care of our data? Read this terribly punny "opinion" piece to find out.
- Questions To Ask When Moving Machine Learning From Practice to Production - Nov 18, 2016.
An overview of applying machine learning techniques to solve problems in production. This articles covers some of the varied questions to ponder when incorporating machine learning into teams and processes.
- KDD 2016: Watch Talks by Top Data Science Researchers - Nov 17, 2016.
Watch the innovative talks and researches from top researchers in Data Science, presented at KDD 2016, San Francisco conference.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 9-15: #Trump, limits of #prediction; #TensorFlow French-to-English machine translation - Nov 16, 2016.
#Trump, limits of #prediction, and lessons for #DataScience of #polls; A #TensorFlow implementation of French-to-English machine translation using @DeepMindAI ByteNet; 18 top women in #DataScience to follow on Twitter; A complete daily plan for studying to become a #MachineLearning #Engineer
- Combining Different Methods to Create Advanced Time Series Prediction - Nov 16, 2016.
The results from combining methods for time series prediction have been quite promising. However, the degree of error for long-term predictions is still quite high. Sounds like a challenge, so some new experiments are forthcoming!
- Data Science and Big Data, Explained - Nov 14, 2016.
This article is meant to give the non-data scientist a solid overview of the many concepts and terms behind data science and big data. While related terms will be mentioned at a very high level, the reader is encouraged to explore the references and other resources for additional detail.
- R Systems: Director, Data Science - Nov 11, 2016.
Seeking a senior leader to grow existing and acquire new accounts across verticals, leveraging differentiated offerings combining process, statistics, data science and technology for predictive analytics initiatives.
- Top 10 Amazon Books in Data Mining, 2016 Edition - Nov 11, 2016.
Given the ongoing explosion in interest for all things Data Mining, Data Science, Analytics, Big Data, etc., we have updated our Amazon top books lists from last year. Here are the 10 most popular titles in the Data Mining category.
- Reasons Why Data Projects Fail - Nov 10, 2016.
Many companies seem to go through a pattern of hiring a data science team only for the entire team to quit or be fired around 12 months later. Why is the failure rate so high?
Pages: 1 2
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 2-8: 35 #OpenSource tools for Internet of Things; An Introduction to Ensemble Learners - Nov 9, 2016.
21 Must-Know #DataScience Interview Questions with Answers; Big Data Science: Expectation vs. Reality; Big #DataScience: Expectation vs. Reality; The 10 Algorithms #MachineLearning Engineers Need to Know.
- How to Rank 10% in Your First Kaggle Competition - Nov 9, 2016.
This post presents a pathway to achieving success in Kaggle competitions as a beginner. The path generalizes beyond competitions, however. Read on for insight into succeeding while approaching any data science project.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
- Practical Data Science: Building Minimum Viable Models - Nov 8, 2016.
Data Science for startups based on data: Minimum Valuable Model, a new concept to avoid a full scale 95% accurate data science model. Want to know more about MVM? Have a look at this interesting article.
- Data Science Basics: An Introduction to Ensemble Learners - Nov 8, 2016.
New to classifiers and a bit uncertain of what ensemble learners are, or how different ones work? This post examines 3 of the most popular ensemble methods in an approach designed for newcomers.
- Agilience Top Data Mining, Data Science Authorities - Nov 4, 2016.
Agilience developed a new way to find authorities in social media across many fields of interest. We review the top authorities in Data Mining and Data science, which include KDnuggets, Kirk. D. Borne, Kaggle, Vincent Granville, and more.
Pages: 1 2
- Chief Data Officer Toolkit: Leading the Digital Business Transformation – Part 2 - Nov 4, 2016.
Read the second and final part of this overview of the CDO Toolkit, which integrates the disciplines of economics and analytics to help the CDO to ascertain the economic value of the organization’s data and data sources.
Pages: 1 2
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n39, Nov 2: Machine Learning: A Complete and Detailed Overview; Learn Data Science in 8 (Easy) Steps - Nov 2, 2016.
Machine Learning: A Complete and Detailed Overview; Cartoon: Scary Big Data; Learn Data Science in 8 (Easy) Steps; Is Your Code Good Enough to Call Yourself a Data Scientist?; Using Machine Learning to Detect Malicious URLs; Frequent Pattern Mining and the Apriori Algorithm
- Data Science 101: How to get good at R - Nov 1, 2016.
Everybody talks about R programming, how to learn, how to be good at it. But in this article, Ari Lamstein tells us his story about why and how he started with R along with how to publish, market and monetise R projects.
- Is Your Code Good Enough to Call Yourself a Data Scientist? - Oct 28, 2016.
Is your code good enough to be calling yourself a Data Scientist? Figure out how to determine the answer to this question... and gain some suggestions on ensuring that the answer is "yes!"
- Learn Data Science in 8 (Easy) Steps - Oct 27, 2016.
Want to learn data science? Check out these 8 (easy) steps to set out in the right direction!
Pages: 1 2
- Big Data Science: Expectation vs. Reality - Oct 27, 2016.
The path to success and happiness of the data science team working with big data project is not always clear from the beginning. It depends on maturity of underlying platform, their cross skills and devops process around their day-to-day operations.
- Mind of a Data Scientist – Part 2 - Oct 26, 2016.
First part of this series was about formulation of the business problem and engineering the data points. This is the last part of the series and it tells us about exploratory data analysis and feature engineering.
Pages: 1 2
- Mind of a Data Scientist – Part 1 - Oct 25, 2016.
By now, many people are aware of which technical skills are required for a Data Scientist, but do you know what mindset or thinking is required to be a good data scientist? Let’s read this two parts series by an industry expert.
- Inside Industry 4.0: What’s Driving The Fourth Industrial Revolution? - Oct 24, 2016.
In the history of mankind and past three major industrial revolutions, horizontal innovations like wheel, steam engine, electricity and integrated chips have always been the crux of it and they changed the world dramatically. Well, fourth one is on its way! Want to know what’s driving it? Have a read at this crisp article.
- Chief Data Officer Toolkit: Leading the Digital Business Transformation – Part 1 - Oct 24, 2016.
CDOs are the new hot role to rock. Read about the CDO Toolkit, which integrates the disciplines of economics and analytics to help the CDO to ascertain the economic value of the organization’s data and data sources.
Pages: 1 2
- Big Data and Data Science hands-on education in Austin – KDnuggets Offer - Oct 24, 2016.
Join us for the Industry’s Leading Data Management Conference Dec 4-9 in Austin, TX, with a special 20% discount for KDnuggets readers.
- 5 EBooks to Read Before Getting into A Machine Learning Career - Oct 21, 2016.
A carefully-curated list of 5 free ebooks to help you better understand the various aspects of what machine learning, and skills necessary for a career in the field.
- KDnuggets Top Blogger: An Interview with Ajit Jaokar, on IoT and Data Science - Oct 21, 2016.
Ajit Jaokar, a leading expert in the field, shares his views on evolution of IoT, Data Science, Smart Cities, the promise and dangers of AI, and encouraging young people.