All (95) | Courses, Education (3) | Meetings (6) | News, Features (17) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (37) | Publications (2) | Software (9) | Top Tweets (3) | Tutorials, Overviews, How-Tos (12) | Webcasts (6)
- How Big Data and Predictive Analytics can help manage climate change - Dec 31, 2015.
We review how Big data and data science can provide accurate analytics to help deal with climate change with tools like Global Forest Watch, Microsoft Research’s Madingley Model, and the Google Earth Engine.
- 2016: The Year of Hadooplooza - Dec 31, 2015.
Bruno Aziza examines the Hadoopalooza effect, how to avoid poor decisions to come back from the party a "Hadoop-loser", and what is needed to get value from data lakes.
- TensorFlow is Terrific – A Sober Take on Deep Learning Acceleration - Dec 30, 2015.
TensorFlow does not change the world. But it appears to be the best, most convenient deep learning library out there.
- DeepLearningKit – Open Source Deep Learning Framework for Apple iOS, OS X - Dec 30, 2015.
We are introducing you to the new deep learning framework “DeepLearningKit”, for the Apple based OS which is developed in Metal and Swift.
- Software development skills for data scientists - Dec 29, 2015.
Data science is not only about building the models and sharing insights, many times they have to collaborate in deploying models and sharing them with software developers, learn which things to keep in mind while doing so.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 21-27: “Learn #Python” Overtakes “Learn #Java”; Improve Machine Learning using how children learn - Dec 28, 2015.
"Learn #Python" Overtakes "Learn #Java" on Google Trends ; R is the fastest-growing language on StackOverflow; More #DataScience #Humor and #Cartoons; The Star Wars Social Network - who is the central character?
- The Art of Data Science: The Skills You Need and How to Get Them - Dec 28, 2015.
Learn, how to turn the deluge of data into the gold by algorithms, feature engineering, reasoning out business value and ultimately building a data driven organization.
- Minority Report Visualized – Chicago Police Analyzed - Dec 28, 2015.
Who watches the watchmen? This article examines the recently available Chicago Police misconduct allegation dataset from the Invisible Institute.
- The Unsung Hero – The Data Scientist - Dec 28, 2015.
The data scientist is not a magician to single-handedly solve all of the challenges an organisation may face. It is through the ability to change culture, behaviour and expectation that data science truly achieves its potential.
- Top stories for Dec 20-26: Top 10 Machine Learning Projects on Github; Lessons from 2 MM Kaggle Models - Dec 27, 2015.
Top 10 Machine Learning Projects on Github; 10 BI Trends for 2016; More Data Science Humor and Cartoons; Lessons from 2 MM Machine Learning Models on Kaggle.
- Academic/Research positions in Business Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning in December 2015 - Dec 26, 2015.
Academic/Research position at U. Libre Brussels, Karlsruhe Inst. for Technology, U. of Iowa Tippie College of Business, Monash University, U. Strasbourg, Texas A&M, Roche (Basel) and INESC TEC (Porto).
- Tour of Real-World Machine Learning Problems - Dec 26, 2015.
The tour lists 20 interesting real-world machine learning problems for data science enthusiasts to learn by solving.
- The Star Wars social networks – who is the central character? - Dec 25, 2015.
Data Scientist looks at the 6 Star Wars movies to extract the social networks, within each film and across the whole Star Wars universe. Network structure reveals some surprising differences between the movies, and finds who is actually the central character.
- Kanri Distance approach for translating Predictive Models to Actions - Dec 24, 2015.
Kanri proprietary combination of patented statistical and process methods provides a uniquely powerful and insightful ability to evaluate large data sets with multiple variables.
- Lessons from 2 Million Machine Learning Models on Kaggle - Dec 24, 2015.
Lessons from Kaggle competitions, including why XG Boosting is the top method for structured problems, Neural Networks and deep learning dominate unstructured problems (visuals, text, sound), and 2 types of problems for which Kaggle is suitable.
- More Data Science Humor and Cartoons - Dec 23, 2015.
More humor and cartoons from Andrii aka San Sanych, #HappyDataScientist.
- Data Science and Prejudice – Blessing or Curse ? - Dec 23, 2015.
We examine the deep nature of bias and prejudice and wonder if prejudiced minds and 'good' data scientists coexist in harmony and if they can coexist, does it lead to disruption or disruptive innovation?
- The future of analytics – top 5 predictions for 2016 - Dec 23, 2015.
Analytics has never been more needed or interesting and the future looks exciting. Top 2016 trends include Machine learning established in the enterprise, Internet of Things hype hits reality, and Big data moves beyond hype to enrich modeling.
- Tamr 2016 Data Management Predictions - Dec 22, 2015.
2016 predictions from Tamr team, which includes Turing Award winner Mike Stonebraker and some of the most forward-thinking experts from the world of Big Data.
- 8 Myths about Virtualizing Hadoop on vSphere Explained - Dec 22, 2015.
This article takes some common misperceptions about virtualizing Hadoop and explains why they are errors in people’s understanding.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 14-20: DeepLearning in a Nutshell: History and Training; Top 10 #MachineLearning Algorithms, updated - Dec 21, 2015.
Top 10 #MachineLearning Algorithms, updated; Cartoon: Surprise #DataScience #Recommendations; DeepLearning in a Nutshell: History and Training; Update: Google #TensorFlow #DeepLearning Is Improving.
- New Poll: Industries/Fields where you applied Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science in 2015? - Dec 21, 2015.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking - where did you apply Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science in 2015? Please vote and we will analyze the results and report on trends and interesting findings.
- 5 Criteria To Determine If Your Data Is Ready For Serious Data Science - Dec 21, 2015.
If your data is a large, relevant, accurate, connected, and you also have a sharp question, you ready to do some serious data science. If you’re weak on 1-2 points, don’t worry. But if most criteria are not true, you need to do more preparation.
- OpenText Data Digest, Dec 18: The Data Awakens - Dec 21, 2015.
As the world enjoys the latest instalment of the Star Wars series, we review interesting visualizations based on the movie series. Strong is the data behind the Force. Enjoy!
- Everything You Need to Know about Natural Language Processing - Dec 21, 2015.
Natural language processing (NLP) helps computers understand human speech and language. We define the key NLP concepts and explain how it fits in the bigger picture of Artificial Intelligence.
- Top stories for Dec 13-19: Top 10 Machine Learning Projects on Github; Importance of Data Science for IoT business - Dec 20, 2015.
Top 10 Machine Learning Projects on Github; Using Python and R together: main approaches; Importance of Data Science for IoT business; Top 10 Deep Learning Tips, Tricks.
- Cartoon: Surprise Data Science Recommendations - Dec 19, 2015.
We revisit KDnuggets cartoon which examines an unexpected shopping recommendation from Big Data and machine learning algorithms.
- 10 Business Intelligence Trends for 2016 - Dec 19, 2015.
BI analysts, industry players predict the rise of self-service, Big Data analytics, real-time data in the coming year.
- International Institute of Analytics (IIA) 5 Predictions and 5 Priorities for 2016 - Dec 18, 2015.
IIA 2016 Predictions include: Cognitive technology becomes the follow-on to automated analytics; Analytical Microservices facilitate embedded analytics; and analytics talent crunch eases.
- Vincent Granville Predictions for Data Science in 2016 and Beyond - Dec 18, 2015.
Data science and statistical modeling will be further automated; frontiers between data science, operations research, Machine Learning will disappear, and more.
- Key Benefits of Heterogeneous Analytics Compared to Traditional BI - Dec 18, 2015.
This blog examines why traditional BI is becoming increasingly ineffective and how heterogeneous analytics can solve business problems with analytics.
- PAKDD 2016 Data Science Contest: Sarcasm detection on Reddit comments - Dec 17, 2015.
The contest task is to design an effective algorithm for sarcasm detection in the domain of opinion mining. Submissions due Feb 15, 2016.
- 5 Ways Data Scientists Keep Learning After College - Dec 17, 2015.
Taken from the answers experts gave, here is a compiled list of 5 essential actions and attitudes that keep data scientists learning after their degrees.
- Best BI and Analytics Event of 2016: TDWI Las Vegas, super early bird by Dec 18 - Dec 17, 2015.
Join TDWI biggest event of the year featuring four in-depth learning experiences: Leadership and Innovation, Analytics, Big Data, and Data Management, Jan 31-Feb 5 in Las Vegas. Use code KD16 to save.
- Update: Google TensorFlow Deep Learning Is Improving - Dec 17, 2015.
The recent open sourcing of Google's TensorFlow was a significant event for machine learning. While the original release was lacking in some ways, development continues and improvements are already being made.
- How ‘Insights-as-a-service’ is growing based on big data - Dec 16, 2015.
Insights-as-service should deliver not only actionable insights, but also a concrete plan to use them. We review different types of insights as a service, how they are used with big data, deployment challenges, and future trends.
- OpenText Data Digest, Dec 11: Holiday Lights - Dec 16, 2015.
Christmas and the New Year are approaching, so this week we’re sharing some data visualizations with connections to holiday celebrations.
- WordStat 7.1: Geospatial Intelligence Meets Text Analytics - Dec 16, 2015.
Provalis Research text analysis software now features a geospatial intelligence module which transforms unstructured text data into interactive maps.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Jan 14] - Dec 15, 2015.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is Jan 14.
- Strata + Hadoop World 2015 Singapore – Day 2 Highlights - Dec 15, 2015.
Here are the quick takeaways and valuable insights from selected talks at one of the most reputed conferences in Big Data – Strata + Hadoop World 2015, Singapore, day 2.
- 50 Deep Learning Software Tools and Platforms, Updated - Dec 15, 2015.
We present the popular software & toolkit resources for Deep Learning, including Caffe, Cuda-convnet, Deeplearning4j, Pylearn2, Theano, and Torch. Explore the new list!
- Top 2015 KDnuggets Stories on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning - Dec 15, 2015.
R vs Python for Data Science: The Winner is ...; 60+ Free Books on Big Data, Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning; Top 20 Python Machine Learning Open Source Projects; 50+ Data Science and Machine Learning Cheat Sheets.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 07-13: 50 Useful Machine Learning and Prediction APIs; 35 R Job Interview Questions, Answers - Dec 14, 2015.
R Programming: 35 Job #Interview Questions and Answers; A Look into #MachineLearning First Cheating #Scandal; The current state of #machine #intelligence 2.0 ; #Dilbert Dark #humor on combining #DNA tests and #Bevaviour #Predictions;
- Top 10 Machine Learning Projects on Github - Dec 14, 2015.
The top 10 machine learning projects on Github include a number of libraries, frameworks, and education resources. Have a look at the tools others are using, and the resources they are learning from.
- Importance of Data Science for IoT business - Dec 14, 2015.
Here, we have explored how IoT businesses can leverage data science for IT strategies, service analysis stack, capacity planning, hardware maintenance, competitive advantages and anomaly detection. Along with, the different application in multiple IoT industries.
- Top 10 Deep Learning Tips & Tricks - Dec 14, 2015.
Deep Learning has been at the forefront of data science innovations throughout 2015. Dr. Arno Candel offers help through some valuable tips.
- Augmented Intelligence – An Elegant Approach to Optimize Your Decision Making Process - Dec 14, 2015.
Automation is a rising trend in the recent technology boom, but it can impose a level or risk. Harmonizing both human decision and powerful computing abilities will be key, especially for enterprises looking to unlock insights through analytics.
- Top stories for Dec 6-12: 50 Useful Machine Learning, Prediction APIs; Free Data Science Curriculum - Dec 13, 2015.
50 Useful Machine Learning, Prediction APIs; TensorFlow Google Deep Learning Disappoints; 7 Essential Resources, Tips To Get Started With Data Science; 20 Lessons From Building Machine Learning Systems
- Big Data and Data Science for Security and Fraud Detection - Dec 11, 2015.
We review big data analytics tools and technologies that combine text mining, machine learning and network analysis for security threat prediction, detection and prevention at an early stage.
- Strata + Hadoop World 2015 Singapore – Day 1 Highlights - Dec 11, 2015.
Here are the quick takeaways and valuable insights from selected talks at one of the most reputed conferences in Big Data – Strata + Hadoop World 2015, Singapore.
- Cartoon: 2nd place in a Data Science contest - Dec 11, 2015.
New KDnuggets Cartoon looks at the recent progress of machine learning algorithms reaching and exceeding human performance levels and what will they achieve next...
- 22 Big Data & Data Science experts predictions for 2016 - Dec 11, 2015.
Will machines become smarter than man? What technology will dominate Data Science? What is smart data? Read Big Data experts predictions for 2016.
- MSc in Business Analytics & Data Science in Paris or Nice - Dec 11, 2015.
Learn more with our intensive MSc Data Scientist Designer programme in Paris, or our MSc Executive Big Data Analyst programme in Nice.
- R Style Ninjas: New Lifestyle Site for R Enthusiasts - Dec 11, 2015.
New R themed apparel site with several designs generated from R data visualizations. A portion of each purchase goes toward supporting R development.
- Save up to $850 – Predictive Analytics World super early bird ends Dec 18 - Dec 10, 2015.
Give (or get) the gift of Analytics - super early bird rates expire on Dec 18 for three Predictive Analytics World conferences in San Francisco in April 2016.
- Northwestern Online Master of Science in Predictive Analytics - Dec 10, 2015.
Build in-demand skills for the growing analytics field, prepare for leadership career, and learn from top faculty and industry experts. Spring application deadline Jan 15.
- Top New Features in Orange 3 Data Mining Platform - Dec 10, 2015.
The main technical advantage of Orange 3 is its integration with NumPy and SciPy libraries. Other improvements include reading online data, working through queries for SQL and pre-processing.
- Using Python and R together: 3 main approaches - Dec 10, 2015.
Well if Data Science and Data Scientists can not decide on what data to choose to help them decide which language to use, here is an article to use BOTH.
- Top 5 Big Data / Machine Learning Podcasts - Dec 10, 2015.
Podcasts are probably one of the most underrated forms of communication, especially given that, for the most part, they are free. Here we have collected best of big data and machine learning podcasts.
- Which Database is best for an Analyst? - Dec 10, 2015.
Database comparisons usually look at architecture, cost, scalability, and speed, but rarely address the other key factor: how hard is writing queries for these databases? We examine which of the top 8 databases are easiest to use.
- OpenText Data Digest Dec 4: Data Is Beautiful - Dec 9, 2015.
This week we look at the 2015 winners of the “Information Is Beautiful” Awards, including Red vs Blue politics, a World of languages, and Working for a living.
- Anomaly Detection in Predictive Maintenance with Time Series Analysis - Dec 9, 2015.
How can we predict something we have never seen, an event that is not in the historical data? This requires a shift in the analytics perspective! Understand how to standardization the time and perform time series analysis on sensory data.
- 7 Essential Resources & Tips To Get Started With Data Science - Dec 9, 2015.
This instructional post takes you through connecting the various pieces when studying the data science pipeline. From analysis, to datasets, to MOOCs, to visualizing data, this informative post has some fresh insight.
- Create or machine-learn fuzzy logic rules for use with an on-line inference engine - Dec 8, 2015.
New DocAndys SaaS service supports user-created embeddable Fuzzy Logic Expert Systems. Use rule language Darl to hand-create or machine-learn rule sets from data and use them via REST interfaces.
- TMA Predictive Analytics Data Mining Training, [Orlando, Feb 18-26] - Dec 8, 2015.
Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with hands-on, immersive training and goal-driven strategy - get it from The Modeling Agency in Orlando, February 18-26.
- The gift of 3 analytics events at super early bird rates - Dec 8, 2015.
It's that time of the year where we are happy to offer a gift to KDnuggets readers for our first analytics conferences in the new year. Join us with code KDN150 for an additional $150 off of Super Early Bird rates.
- Top November stories: TensorFlow Disappoints – Google Deep Learning falls shallow; 5 Best Machine Learning APIs for Data Science - Dec 8, 2015.
TensorFlow Disappoints - Google Deep Learning falls shallow; 5 Best Machine Learning APIs for Data Science; 7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python; A Statistical View of Deep Learning.
- Learning from Hurricanes: Big Data Analytics, Risk, & Data Visualization - Dec 8, 2015.
This year, Florida has experienced its 10th consecutive year without a hurricane, which is longest period without a hurricane strike in modern times. Exploring this is worthy of some examination, as it offers us many lessons in Big Data Analytics, Risk, and Data Visualization.
- Beyond One-Hot: an exploration of categorical variables - Dec 8, 2015.
Coding categorical variables into numbers, by assign an integer to each category ordinal coding of the machine learning algorithms. Here, we explore different ways of converting a categorical variable and their effects on the dimensionality of data.
- PAW 2016 Predictive Analytics Conferences - Dec 8, 2015.
Check upcoming Rising Media conferences on predictive analytics (in business, workforce, manufacturing, financial services, and healthcare), data science, big data, digital analytics, text analytics, and more. Use KDN150 for extra savings.
- 20 Lessons From Building Machine Learning Systems - Dec 8, 2015.
Data science is not only a scientific field, but also it requires the art and innovation from time to time. Here, we have compiled wisdom learned from developing data science products for over a decade by Xavier Amatriain.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 30 – Dec 6: The Balkanization of #DataScience: will it lead to empire or republics? - Dec 7, 2015.
The Balkanization of #DataScience, #BigData: will it lead to empire or republics;7 Essential Resources, Tips To Get Started With Data Science ; Data Science #Cartoon Contest has 3 winners.
- 50 Useful Machine Learning & Prediction APIs - Dec 7, 2015.
We present a list of 50 APIs selected from areas like machine learning, prediction, text analytics & classification, face recognition, language translation etc. Start consuming APIs!
- Deep Learning Transcends the Bag of Words - Dec 7, 2015.
Generative RNNs are now widely popular, many modeling text at the character level and typically using unsupervised approach. Here we show how to generate contextually relevant sentences and explain recent work that does it successfully.
- Make Beautiful Interactive Data Visualizations Easily, Dec 15 Webinar - Dec 7, 2015.
- Top stories for Nov 29 – Dec 5: 7 Steps to Mastering ML With Python; Balkanization of Data Science – Empire or Republics? - Dec 6, 2015.
7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python; TensorFlow Disappoints - Google Deep Learning falls shallow; Will Balkanization of Data Science lead to one Empire or many Republics?; 5 Tribes of Machine Learning - Questions and Answers.
- KDD 2016 San Francisco Call For Papers | Workshops | Tutorials | KDD Cup - Dec 5, 2015.
22nd ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining invites submissions for research papers, applied data science papers, proposals for workshops and tutorials, and nominations and ideas for the prestigious KDD CUP contest. See deadlines and details.
- Uber-fication: Lessons from Uber in Economics, Digital, Risk, and Analytics - Dec 5, 2015.
Uber-fication or Uberisation is the conversion of existing jobs and services into discrete tasks that can be requested on-demand; the emulation or adoption of the Uber’s business model. Here we have discussed opportunities, risk and challenges while doing uberisation.
- 45+ upcoming December – August Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - Dec 4, 2015.
Coming soon: Harrisburg U. Data Analytics Summit, EGC France, #BALasVegas, #DataLasVegas, BIWA Summit 16, Rework Deep Learning Summit, WSDM 2016, JMP Discovery Summit Amsterdam, and more.
- Predictive Analytics + Hadoop = Business Impact, Dec 15 Webinar - Dec 4, 2015.
Learn how to use Predictive Analytics and Hadoop to Turn the Promise of Big Data into Business Impact in this webinar with RapidMiner Founder and CTO Ingo Mierswa and leading Gartner Analyst Merv Adrian.
- Spark + Deep Learning: Distributed Deep Neural Network Training with SparkNet - Dec 4, 2015.
Training deep neural nets can take precious time and resources. By leveraging an existing distributed batch processing framework, SparkNet can train neural nets quickly and efficiently.
- OpenText Data Digest Nov 27: Data Mapping Music - Dec 4, 2015.
For this week, we present some examples of how to display music visually, which may get you thinking of other creative ways to visualize data and bring patterns to the surface.
- Improve Your Processes With Statistical Models. - Dec 3, 2015.
Get technical primer with best practices to interactively explore the patterns in your data, build useful statistical models of these patterns, and visually interact with these models.
- Business Analytics Webinars: Practical Training, 7 Live Sessions, Dec 10 - Dec 3, 2015.
Stay ahead of the curve in business analytics with our Dec 10 Webinar Marathon, and watch industry experts deliver 7 back-to-back sessions on hot topics. Register now.
- Sentiment Analysis 101 - Dec 3, 2015.
Sentiment analysis can be incredibly useful, and can help companies better answer pertinent questions and gain valuable business insights. Sentiment analysis technologies will continue to improve as they become more widely adopted. But what can sentiment analysis do for you?
- Top /r/DataScience Posts, November: Open source Plot.ly, Pokemon (?), Social analysis with R - Dec 3, 2015.
November on /r/DataScience: Plot.ly is open sourced, Pokemon and Big Data games, a new social network analysis package for R, insider information on landing a Google Data Scientist job, and a free data science curriculum.
- How do Neural Networks Learn? - Dec 2, 2015.
Neural networks are generating a lot of excitement, while simultaneously posing challenges to people trying to understand how they work. Visualize how neural nets work from the experience of implementing a real world project.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, November: TensorFlow, Deep Convolutional Generative Adversarial Networks, and lolz - Dec 2, 2015.
In November on /r/MachineLearning, we've got a good laugh, a fantastic image-generating convolutional generative adversarial network, and a whole lot of Google TensorFlow.
- Big Data is Crowdledge, not 3V - Dec 2, 2015.
Crowdledge is defined as the knowledge that [weakly] emerges – and is, therefore, unexpected – from Big Data analysis of individuals’ digital footprints spontaneously left in the digital universe. It represents big data in better terms than 3Vs.
- A Future-proof Architecture for Streaming Data Analytics - Dec 2, 2015.
Get this white paper to explore future- proof strategies to leverage the steady flow of new, advanced real-time streaming analytics (RTSA) application development technologies.
- Can Big Data Catch the Bad Guys? - Dec 2, 2015.
Balancing individual liberties with Big Brother surveillance and intelligence-gathering methods means walking a fine line that will require proper balancing for the foreseeable future. Regardless of opinion, Big Data has some role to play in keeping us safe, and the sooner we recognize it the better.
- Data Science Cartoon Contest has 3 winners - Dec 1, 2015.
Data Science Cartoon Contest shows the diversity of different approaches to the trend prediction problem.
- Webinar: Why Organizations are Choosing In-Database Analytics, Dec 3 - Dec 1, 2015.
Looker in-database approach to enterprise analytics allows organizations to see performance improvements by leveraging centralized data in high performance databases such as HP Vertica or Amazon Redshift.
- Deep Forger: Art Forgery Meets Deep Neural Nets - Dec 1, 2015.
The past year has seen deep learning make exceptional advances in imaging, perhaps most notably with Google's Deep Dream. See how a clever Twitter bot employs deep neural nets to paint images in the style of famous painters.
- Webinar: 5 tips to get more out of Data Lakes, Dec 16 - Dec 1, 2015.
Learn valuable tips to help optimize Big Data for agility and speed to insight; improve data accessibility, without the limitations of data warehouses, and prevent data sources from becoming data silos.