All (99) | Courses, Education (8) | Meetings (8) | News, Features (13) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (30) | Publications (10) | Software (7) | Top Tweets (5) | Tutorials, Overviews, How-Tos (15) | Webcasts (3)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 23-29: One Artificial Neuron Taught to Recognize 100s of Patterns; 5 projects to learn Data Science - Nov 30, 2015.
Also 5 projects to learn #DataScience; 5 Tribes of #MachineLearning & Master #Algorithm; DataMining photos document 100 years of #smiles.
- PAW San Francisco super early bird offer will melt faster than snow - Nov 30, 2015.
Register by Friday, Dec 18 for PAW Business San Francisco while rates are frozen at up to $650 off of onsite prices. Check out with the KDnuggets code KDN150 for an additional $150 off (up to $800 off in total).
- Will Balkanization of Data Science lead to one Empire or many Republics? - Nov 30, 2015.
We examine the “Technoslavia” of the Big Data and Data Science market and consider whether it is likely to lead to a unified empire or a federation of independent republics.
- Amazon Top 20 Books in Neural Networks - Nov 30, 2015.
These are the most popular neural networks books on Amazon. Perhaps there is something of interest to you here.
- Taming the Elephant: Advice to Director, Big Data Architect - Nov 30, 2015.
Every other day, there is a new big data software is released in the market. Which one is the right to build your product? Understand how to resolve this conundrum and role of decision makers.
- Top stories for Nov 22-28: TensorFlow Disappoints; How Applications of Big Data Drive Industries - Nov 29, 2015.
TensorFlow Disappoints - Google Deep Learning falls shallow; 7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python; How Applications of Big Data Drive Industries; Using Machine Learning To Predict Gender.
- 5 Tribes of Machine Learning – Questions and Answers - Nov 27, 2015.
Leading researcher Pedro Domingos answers questions on 5 tribes of Machine Learning, Master Algorithm, No Free Lunch Theorem, Unsupervised Learning, Ensemble methods, 360-degree recommender, and more.
- Devils Data Dictionary – Big Data Humor - Nov 27, 2015.
In this modern homage to Ambrose Bierce, Sterne tucks his tongue firmly in cheek and lets loose on an industry only Dilbert could love.
- Academic/Research positions in Business Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning in November - Nov 27, 2015.
Academic/Research positions Analytics and Data Science in Singapore, Leuven, Vienna, Mannheim, Tartu, Slovenia, Pittsburgh-PA, Long Beach-CA, London, San Luis Obispo-CA, and Freiburg.
- Detecting In-App Purchase Fraud with Machine Learning - Nov 25, 2015.
Hacking applications allow users to make in-app purchases for free. With help from a few big games in the GROW data network we were able to build a model that classifies each purchase as real or fraud, with a very high level of accuracy.
- OpenText Data Digest Nov 20: The Last Mile of Big Data - Nov 24, 2015.
For this week, we provide some examples of visualizations that crunch their fair share of Big Data on the back end but present it in a way that meets the Last Mile challenge.
- Using Machine Learning To Predict Gender - Nov 24, 2015.
Here is an experiment from the CrowdFlower AI team, where they used user’s tweeter account link color, description, and a single random tweet with the word “and” or “the” in it and guessed who’s behind the curtain.
- Career path explained: Big Data Hadoop DEVELOPER to ARCHITECT - Nov 24, 2015.
The path to becoming a Big Data and Hadoop Architect is fraught with major challenges and responsibilities, but here is a handy infographic to help you chart out your path.
- The hardest parts of data science - Nov 24, 2015.
The hardest part of data science is not building an accurate model or obtaining good, clean data, but defining feasible problems and coming up with reasonable ways of measuring solutions.
- Bot or Not: an end-to-end data analysis in Python - Nov 23, 2015.
Twitter bots are programs that compose and post tweets without human intervention, and they range widely in complexity. Here we are building a classifier with pandas, NLTK, and scikit-learn to identify Twitter bots.
- Arabesque Distributed Graph Mining Platform - Nov 23, 2015.
Arabesque provides an elegant solution to the difficult problem of graph mining that lets a user easily express graph algorithms and efficiently distribute the computation.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 16-22: Dilbert discovers the perfect chart; TensorFlow Disappoints – Google Deep Learning falls shallow - Nov 23, 2015.
A standard #graph for any occasion! #Dilbert discovers the perfect chart; TensorFlow Disappoints - Google #DeepLearning falls shallow; All the #BigData tools and how to use them; KDnuggets #DataScience #Cartoon Caption Contest.
- IE Business School Innovation-based programs: Big Data for Business - Nov 23, 2015.
IE Business School programs are designed to transfer knowledge directly from the classroom to the workplace. Learn more about our upcoming Innovation-based programs, including Big Data for Business.
- Top stories for Nov 15-21: TensorFlow Disappoints – Google Deep Learning falls shallow; 7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python - Nov 22, 2015.
TensorFlow Disappoints - Google Deep Learning falls shallow; 7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python; The different data science roles in the industry; The Five Myths of Big Data.
- H2O World 2015 – Day 3 Highlights - Nov 20, 2015.
Highlights from talks delivered by machine learning experts from Fast Forward Labs, H20.ai, Kaiser and Macy's at H2O World held in Mountain View.
- Data Science Cartoon Caption Contest - Nov 20, 2015.
In honor of upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday, we present the first ever KDnuggets Cartoon Caption Contest. Please email your caption by Nov 30.
- Big RAM is eating big data – Size of datasets used for analytics - Nov 20, 2015.
Here we analysed the KDnuggets surveys on the largest datasets used by practitioners to find out need for the Big Data tools over the Big RAM.
- What is the importance of Dark Data in Big Data world? - Nov 20, 2015.
Dark data is a subset of big data, but it constitutes the biggest portion of the total volume of big data collected by organizations in a year. We will discuss about what opportunities this holds for an organization.
- Wharton: Bring Customer Lifetime Value to Life, Feb 18-19 - Nov 19, 2015.
Customer Lifetime Value (CLV) is a critical concept for every organization that aspires to be customer centric. This intensive workshop for marketing analytics professionals is taught by leading Wharton professor Peter Fader, Feb 18-19, in Philadelphia.
- H2O World 2015 – Day 2 Highlights - Nov 19, 2015.
Highlights from talks delivered by machine learning experts from H20.ai, Jawbone, Stanford, Quora & PayPal at H2O World held in Mountain View.
- Deep Learning for Visual Question Answering - Nov 19, 2015.
Here we discuss about the Visual Question Answering problem, and I’ll also present neural network based approaches for same.
- 7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python - Nov 19, 2015.
There are many Python machine learning resources freely available online. Where to begin? How to proceed? Go from zero to Python machine learning hero in 7 steps!
- Hackerday – Stay Updated in your Career through Hands-On Projects - Nov 19, 2015.
Hackerday is a platform at DeZyre – which allows you to come together as a group, code and work on day long hackathons, where you will be guided by an industry expert, as you are coding. Next Hackerday session Nov 21.
- On Political Economy and Data Science: When A Discipline Is Not Enough - Nov 18, 2015.
Most non-trivial Data Science applications are interdisciplinary requiring collaboration across disciplines. We are just beginning to understand the nature of interdisciplinarity in Data Science and the risks of misunderstanding.
- The Data Science Conference 2015 Highlights - Nov 18, 2015.
Here are the highlights from The Data Science Conference 2015, Nov 12-13 at University of Chicago. A two-day conference on Data Science, big data, machine learning, artificial intelligence & predictive modeling discussions -"for professionals" by professionals.
- Predictive Analytics for Workforce, San Francisco, Apr 3-6, 2016 - Nov 17, 2015.
Plan to attend the 2nd annual Predictive Analytics World for Workforce conference, San Francisco, April 3-6, 2016 and save $150 with code KDN150.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 10-16: 5 Books Every #Data Professional Needs; TensorFlow Disappoints – Google Deep Learning falls shallow - Nov 17, 2015.
Deep Learning for #Visual Question Answering; 5 Books Every #Data Professional Needs; Deep, excellent overview: A Statistical View of #DeepLearning; TensorFlow Disappoints - Google #DeepLearning falls shallow.
- OpenText Data Digest Nov 13: Making Relevant Data Easy to See - Nov 17, 2015.
For this week, we provide some examples of how complex data can be displayed in an easy-to-understand fashion.
- The different data science roles in the industry - Nov 17, 2015.
Data science roles and responsibilities are diverse and skills required for them vary considerably. Here, we have described the different data science roles along with the skill set, technical knowledge and mindset required to carry it.
- Improve your processes with statistical models – get the primer - Nov 17, 2015.
Get technical primer with best practices to interactively explore the patterns in your data, build useful statistical models of these patterns, and visually interact with these models.
- 2016 Conferences on Big Data, Predictive Analytics - Nov 17, 2015.
Mark your calendar for 2016 PAW conferences on predictive analytics (in business, workforce, manufacturing, finance, and healthcare), data science, big data, digital analytics, text analytics, and more. Save with code KDN150.
- Amazon Top 20 Books in Databases & Big Data - Nov 17, 2015.
These are the most popular database & big data books on Amazon. Some interesting options here, so hopefully you find something useful to your current requirements.
- Data By the Bay: Data Science and Engineering in Four Directions - Nov 16, 2015.
The main goal of Data By the Bay is connecting the best data engineers, data scientists and data-driven startup leaders with each other. Co-located conferences will focus on Data, Text, Democracy, AI and IoT, and Life Sciences, May 17 - 20, 2016.
- H2O World 2015 – Day 1 Highlights - Nov 16, 2015.
Highlights from talks and tutorials delivered by machine learning experts at H2O World 2015 held in Mountain View.
- The Five Myths of Big Data - Nov 16, 2015.
Here, we are bursting couple of the myths which have been built around the big data. Ranging from does it predicts future, it is only for big businesses and is it a better data?
- TensorFlow Disappoints – Google Deep Learning falls shallow - Nov 16, 2015.
Google recently open-sourced its TensorFlow machine learning library, which aims to bring large-scale, distributed machine learning and deep learning to everyone. But does it deliver?
- Deep Learning, Language Understanding, and the Quest for Human Capacity Cognitive Computing - Nov 16, 2015.
To develop cognitive computing at human capacity understanding, deep learning research must heed what certain aspects of human symbol processing reveal about the architecture of the human mind.
- Top stories for Nov 8-14: 5 Best Machine Learning APIs; A Statistical View of Deep Learning - Nov 15, 2015.
5 Best Machine Learning APIs for Data Science; Apache Spark Machine Learning with Large Data; A Statistical View of Deep Learning; Introduction to Spark with Python.
- Recurrent Neural Net describes images like Taylor Swift or Romantic Novel - Nov 14, 2015.
Deep learning has recently, and famously, taken on painting by imitating artists. We now find recurrent neural networks writing stories corresponding to images, in the style of romance novels or Taylor Swift lyrics.
- Hiring? Approving Mortgages? It’s the Same Thing (Risk …) - Nov 13, 2015.
Traditionally hiring and approving mortgage are completely different problems. But, when you look at them from a data science perspective, both things do have similar characteristics.
- Getting started with Python and Apache Flink - Nov 13, 2015.
Apache Flink built on top of the distributed streaming dataflow architecture, which helps to crunch massive velocity and volume data sets. With version 1.0 it provided python API, learn how to write a simple Flink application in python.
- A Statistical View of Deep Learning - Nov 13, 2015.
A statistical overview of deep learning, with a focus on testing wide-held beliefs, highlighting statistical connections, and the unseen implications of deep learning. The post links to 6 articles covering a number of related topics.
- A Community Event for Innovative Spark Apps: A Datapalooza Dispatch - Nov 12, 2015.
Datapalooza, which is holding its inaugural event this week in San Francisco, is proving to be a seedbed for innovation apps in the Spark community. James Kobielus describes the highlights.
- Avoiding Tunnel Vision in Peer Comparisons - Nov 12, 2015.
Comparing yourself to peers (benchmarking) lets you understand how you’re doing and identify performance gaps. Benchmarking is widespread but frequently misses useful and actionable insights. The proposed approach helps avoid the tunnel vision in benchmarking.
- Singapore Data Analytics, Info Security careers - Nov 12, 2015.
Learn about many opportunities in Data Analytics and Info Security careers in Singapore and about its Smart Nation initiative.
- Top Coursera Data Science Specializations: Comparison & Exclusive Insight - Nov 12, 2015.
There are more MOOC learning options for Data Scientists today than ever. Take a tour of Coursera's 8 Data Science specializations, with exclusive insight from program coordinators and course instructors.
- Customer Study – Dealing with dirty, smelly, horrible data? - Nov 12, 2015.
If you have hands on experience with data cleaning and data engineering, Microsoft Data Platform group would love to hear about your challenges. This is for early influence on product development (not sales).
- How to discover stolen data using Hadoop and Big data? - Nov 11, 2015.
We discuss recent data breaches and present an approach that uses Hadoop and data fingerprint matching techniques to discover stolen data.
- Understanding Convolutional Neural Networks for NLP - Nov 11, 2015.
Dive into the world of Convolution Neural Networks (CNN), learn how they work, how to apply them for NLP, and how to tune CNN hyperparameters for best performance.
- Introduction to Spark with Python - Nov 11, 2015.
Get a handle on using Python with Spark with this hands-on data processing tutorial.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 3-9: 500 Deep Learning Papers, Graphviz and Python; Facebook App can answer questions on content of photos - Nov 10, 2015.
500 #DeepLearning Papers, Graphviz and Python; Skills You Need To Become a $240K+ Unicorn Data Scientist: n1 is Apache #Spark; Cartoon: It all started with the iPhone answering my Gmail; Overview of Python Visualization Tools
- 5 Tribes of Machine Learning: Nov 24 ACM Webinar with Pedro Domingos, moderated by Gregory Piatetsky - Nov 10, 2015.
Prof. Pedro Domingos, a leading AI/Machine Learning researcher will talk about 5 main schools in machine learning, each with its own master algorithm, a possible universal Master Algorithm, and implications for society. KDnuggets Editor Gregory Piatetsky will moderate.
- Predictive Analytics World for Business, San Francisco, April 3-7, 2016 – Introducing Keynote Speakers - Nov 10, 2015.
Join the top predictive analytics experts, practitioners, authors and business thought leaders who deploy predictive modeling to improve business outcomes. Use code KDN150 for additional savings.
- Visual Data Mining with Item Explorer - Nov 10, 2015.
Item explorer is an open source visual data mining tool based on d3.js. It enables the user to interactively explore combinatorial questions such as analyzing frequent item sets.
- Fast Big Data: Apache Flink vs Apache Spark for Streaming Data - Nov 10, 2015.
Real-time stream processing has been gaining momentum in recent past, and major tools which are enabling it are Apache Spark and Apache Flink. Learn with the help of a case study about Data processing, Data Flow, Data management using these tools.
- Stanford Big Data Mining Certificates Online - Nov 10, 2015.
Earn online certificates in Mining Massive Data Sets, Data Mining, Optimization, and more while learning from world-renowned Stanford experts.
- Advance your career in DATA SCIENCE with Divergence Academy - Nov 9, 2015.
Divergence Academy has multiple Big Data, Data Science, and Machine learning programs geared for the working professional, those in transition or student with programming skills, and help you get placed in DFW or another area.
- Data Science of IoT: Sensor fusion and Kalman filters, Part 2 - Nov 9, 2015.
The second part of this tutorial examines use of Kalman filters to determine context for IoT systems, which helps to combine uncertain measurements in a multi-sensor system to accurately and dynamically understand the physical world.
- What No One Tells You About Real-Time Machine Learning - Nov 9, 2015.
Real-time machine learning has access to a continuous flow of transactional data, but what it really needs in order to be effective is a continuous flow of labeled transactional data, and accurate labeling introduces latency.
- Amazon Top 20 Books in Statistics - Nov 9, 2015.
These are the most popular statistics books on Amazon. Some interesting books made their way onto this list, and hopefully you find something of interest here.
- FlyElephant supports R, Python, and public API - Nov 9, 2015.
FlyElephant is the Platform-as-a-Service for data analysis and simulations of processes. It supports elastic multi-core systems, HPC and GPU clusters, R, Python, and more. Meet CEO Dmitry Spodarets in Silicon Valley until Nov 12 and in Austin, Nov 13 to Nov 20.
- Top stories for Nov 1-7: Beginners Guide: Apache Spark Machine Learning with Big Data; 6 crazy things Deep Learning can do - Nov 8, 2015.
Beginners Guide: Apache Spark Machine Learning with Big Data; 5 Best Machine Learning APIs; 6 crazy things Deep Learning can do with your data; Overview of Python Visualization Tools.
- Top October stories: Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained; R vs Python: head to head data analysis - Nov 7, 2015.
Top 5 arXiv Deep Learning Papers, Explained; R vs Python: head to head data analysis; 90+ Active Blogs on Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science; Does Deep Learning Come from the Devil?
- Resolving the Big Data ROI Dilemma - Nov 6, 2015.
Download this white paper to learn how to resolve the organizational tension that may exist between Big Data opportunity management and financial investment concerns.
- Marketing Strategies for Retail Customers Based on Predictive Behavior Models - Nov 6, 2015.
Get a look at how a leading financial services provider used predictive analytics to deliver an effective direct marketing approach - download slides now.
- A Simpler Explanation of Differential Privacy - Nov 6, 2015.
Privacy concerns in data mining have been raised from time to time, could differential privacy be a solution? Differential privacy was devised to facilitate secure analysis over sensitive data, learn how it can be used to improve the model fitting process.
- Topological Data Analysis – Open Source Implementations - Nov 6, 2015.
Topological Data Analysis (TDA) is making waves in the analytics community lately, but are there open source options available?
- Ethics should be a part of Data Science Training - Nov 6, 2015.
Over three quarters of Data Scientists support including ethics in Data Science training, and code of ethics is already a part of CAP certification and a part of UN Statistics division declaration.
- 5 Best Machine Learning APIs for Data Science - Nov 5, 2015.
Machine Learning APIs make it easy for developers to develop predictive applications. Here we review 5 important Machine Learning APIs: IBM Watson, Microsoft Azure Machine Learning, Google Prediction API, Amazon Machine Learning API, and BigML.
- Cartoon: It all started with the iPhone answering my email - Nov 5, 2015.
New KDnuggets cartoon reacts to recent news that Gmail will use Machine Learning to offer answers to your emails. Here is where it can lead ...
- Beginners Guide: Apache Spark Machine Learning with Large Data - Nov 5, 2015.
This informative tutorial walks us through using Spark's machine learning capabilities and Scala to train a logistic regression classifier on a larger-than-memory dataset.
- Lavastorm Webinar: Self-Service Advanced Analytics, Nov 19 - Nov 5, 2015.
Learn how citizen data scientists can mine data for valuable insights, combine Big Data with opportunities focused on business, and be free from tedious tasks to explore new paths to insight.
- Data-Planet Statistical Datasets - Nov 4, 2015.
Data-Planet Statistical Datasets provides easy access to an extensive repository of standardized and structured statistical data, with more than 25 billion data points from more than 70 source organizations.
- The Beautiful Duality of Topological Data Analysis - Nov 4, 2015.
Topological Data analysis is special, because its methods are both general and precise. Teams that use TDA in their work see the “art of the possible” more broadly and can attack problems that might otherwise be “too hard” using traditional techniques.
- Online Privacy – Why the Odds are Against You? - Nov 4, 2015.
Infographic on Data Brokers explains how personal information is collected and sold, leaving people with few options to opt-out of it.
- 65+ upcoming November – June Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - Nov 4, 2015.
Coming soon: Global Big Data Conference, H2O World 2015, #BIChicago, #DataLdn, Data Science Conference (Chicago), RE.WORK Connect SF, #ODSC West, Data Natives (Berlin), #StrataHadoop Singapore, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 27 – Nov 02: A Framework for Distributed Deep Learning Layer Design in Python - Nov 3, 2015.
A Framework for Distributed #DeepLearning Layer Design in Python; SQL vs. NoSQL- What You Need to Know; Great Tutorial: A Neural Network in 11 lines of #Python; Data Scientist - 2nd Best IT and Engineering Job.
- Datapalooza: Produce Your Data Application Development Concert, Nov 10-12, San Francisco - Nov 3, 2015.
Datapalooza will enable you to take your data-science skills to the next level. You’ll gain hands-on experience, enjoy one-on-one coaching, and learn how to build a practical data-science product in just three days - Nov 10-12 in San Francisco.
- Why Deep Learning Works – Key Insights and Saddle Points - Nov 3, 2015.
A quality discussion on the theoretical motivations for deep learning, including distributed representation, deep architecture, and the easily escapable saddle point.
- Top /r/DataScience Posts, October: Plagiarism, Reddit AMAs, Deep Learning Summer School - Nov 3, 2015.
Plagiarism, a data science author's upcoming AMA, Deep Learning Summer School, essential tools for us all, and data scientist interview questions.
- Overview of Python Visualization Tools - Nov 3, 2015.
An overview and comparison of the leading data visualization packages and tools for Python, including Pandas, Seaborn, ggplot, Bokeh, pygal, and Plotly.
- How Data Science increased the profitability of the e-commerce industry? - Nov 3, 2015.
Data Science helps businesses provide a richer understanding of the customers by capturing and integrating the information on customers web behaviour, their life events, what led to the purchase of a product or service, how customers interact with different channels, and more.
- Tutorial: Building a Twitter Sentiment Analysis Process - Nov 3, 2015.
Tutorial on collecting and analyzing tweets using the “Text Analysis by AYLIEN” extension for RapidMiner.
- Discover the power of business analytics - Nov 3, 2015.
Learn the latest business practices, concepts, methodologies and techniques in advanced analytics, data mining, survival analysis, explaining analytics to decision makers, fraud detection, and more with these courses.
- Improve your processes with statistical models - Nov 3, 2015.
Get technical primer with best practices to interactively explore the patterns in your data, build useful statistical models of these patterns, and visually interact with these models.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Nov 3 and beyond - Nov 2, 2015.
Ad Hoc Visual Discovery, Workforce Analytics Journey, Maximize ROI from Big Data, A Big Data Cheat Sheet for Non-Geeks, Data Mining: Failure to Launch and more.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, October: Machine learning video course, neural nets evaluate selfies - Nov 2, 2015.
Machine learning video lectures, deep nets evaluate selfies, Google focusing on machine learning, DeepMind's huge text dataset made available, implement a recurrent neural net, and open source face recognition with Google's FaceNet.
- Data Mining for Predictive Social Network Analysis – Brazil Elections Case Study - Nov 2, 2015.
Here are the techniques used for a proof-of-concept that effectively analyzed Twitter Trend Topics to predict regional voting patterns in the 2014 Brazilian presidential election.
- 6 crazy things Deep Learning and Topological Data Analysis can do with your data - Nov 2, 2015.
Want to analyze a high dimensional dataset and you are running out of options? Find out how Deep Learning combined with Topological Data Analysis can do exactly that and more.
- TMA Predictive Analytics Data Mining Training, [San Jose, Dec 7-11] - Nov 2, 2015.
Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with hands-on, immersive training and goal-driven strategy - get it from The Modeling Agency in San Jose, Dec 3-4 or Orlando in February.
- Improve workforce with predictive analytics - Nov 2, 2015.
Save the date for the 2nd annual Predictive Analytics World for Workforce conference, San Francisco, April 3-6, 2016 and save $150 with code KDN150.
- Amazon Top 20 Books in AI & Machine Learning - Nov 2, 2015.
These are the most popular AI & machine learning books on Amazon. Have a look... you may find something of interest here.
- 5 Warning Signs that Turn Off Data Science Hiring Managers - Nov 2, 2015.
Here are some warning signs that will prevent managers from hiring you for a Data Science position. If your resume has one or more of them, make an effort to remove the risk factors.
- Top stories for Oct 25-31: Amazon Top 20 Books in Data Mining; Blocks and Fuel – Frameworks for Deep Learning in Python - Nov 1, 2015.
Amazon Top 20 Books in Data Mining; Introducing: Blocks and Fuel - Frameworks for Deep Learning in Python; How Big Data is used in Recommendation Systems to change our lives.