All (109) | Courses, Education (5) | Meetings (8) | News, Features (22) | Opinions, Interviews, Reports (36) | Publications (8) | Software (6) | Top Tweets (4) | Tutorials, Overviews, How-Tos (9) | Webcasts (11)
- Top stories for May 24-30: R vs Python for Data Science; R leads RapidMiner, Python catches up, Spark ignites - May 31, 2015.
R vs Python for Data Science: The Winner is ...; R leads RapidMiner, Python catches up, Big Data tools grow, Spark ignites; Top 10 Data Mining Algorithms, Explained; 150 Most Influential People in Big Data & Hadoop.
- Looker: Why and When to Embed Business Intelligence, June 10 Webinar - May 30, 2015.
Learn about how to bring an external-facing data product to market by embedding BI software, and what that can add to your offering.
- Spark Summit, the leading edge of Big Data, San Francisco, June 15-17 - May 29, 2015.
Spark is the hottest technology in Big Data. Join Spark Summit to learn how organizations such as the CIA, NASA, and Andreessen Horowitz along with companies like Databricks, Toyota, IBM, Intel, Baidu, Amazon are using Spark to run their businesses more effectively. KDnuggets discount.
- INFORMS Essential Practice Skills for Analytics Professionals + Baseball Night - May 29, 2015.
Register for the "Essential Practice Skills for Analytics Professionals" Course (Chicago, Jun 23-24) and join INFORMS for a Special Networking Night and Baseball at Wrigley Field.
- Applied Statistics Is A Way Of Thinking, Not Just A Toolbox - May 29, 2015.
The choice of tools in applied statistics is driven by the objective, the structure of the data, and the nature of the uncertainty in the numbers, whereas in academic statistics its driven by publishing or teaching. Here we provide some of common statistical tools and the overlapping genealogy.
- Discover the WHY behind your Customer Scores, June 10 webinar with Seth Grimes - May 28, 2015.
Text Analytics thought leader Seth Grimes and MeaningCloud present a special webinar on ensuring you are getting the most from your customer feedback.
- Insights from Data Science Handbook - May 28, 2015.
Here you can find perspective of lead data scientists on the definitions ranging from data science, metrics selection while solving a problem, work ethics, the art of storytelling and why data science is important in todays world.
- 21 Essential Data Visualization Tools - May 28, 2015.
We have collected leading data visualization tools, with a short overview of each tool, its strong and weak points.
- CRN 2015 Big Data Infrastructure Companies - May 28, 2015.
The CRN identifies top 25 big data infrastructure, tools and service companies offering everything from hardware servers, to software platforms and applications, to cloud-based services. The list includes major players in the big data space like Microsoft, Amazon, and IBM!
- 150 Most Influential People in Big Data & Hadoop - May 27, 2015.
A list of 150 Most Influential People on Twitter in Big Data & Hadoop includes Merv Adrian @merv, Alistair Croll @acroll, Ben Lorica @bigdata, Paul Zikopoulos @BigData_paulz, Mathias Herberts @herberts, and Gregory Piatetsky @kdnuggets.
- Miner3D Data Visualization System Version 8 - May 27, 2015.
The new software features a redesigned user interface, making it a perfect complement for Excel. New graphics visualization engine is now faster and smoother.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 19-25: KDnuggets Poll: R leads RapidMiner, Python catches up, Spark ignites; Choosing a Learning Algorithm in Azure ML - May 26, 2015.
R vs #Python, why each is better; Machine Learning predicts that a fair race between Mo Farah and Usain Bolt is 492m; How Machine Learning Is Eating the #Software World; Handy Guide: Choosing a Learning Algorithm in Azure ML.
- Dark Knowledge Distilled from Neural Network - May 26, 2015.
Geoff Hinton never stopped generating new ideas. This post is a review of his research on “dark knowledge”. What’s that supposed to mean?
- R vs Python for Data Science: The Winner is … - May 26, 2015.
In the battle of "best" data science tools, python and R both have their pros and cons. Selecting one over the other will depend on the use-cases, the cost of learning, and other common tools required.
- CRN 2015 Emerging Big Data Vendors - May 26, 2015.
The 2015 Computer Reseller News, CRN Big Data Emerging vendors list features 54 companies launched since 2009 for their innovative tools, technology and committment to help businesses manage the Big Data Challenge.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – May 26 and beyond - May 25, 2015.
The Data Lake Debate, 3 Ways to Improve Targeted Marketing, Turning Machine Data Into Intelligent Action, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, Using electronic health records for better care, and more.
- White House sees Data as the 21st Century Catalyst for Effective Policing - May 25, 2015.
Review of the steps taken by White House over last six months to modernize police data systems to better fight crime as well as build trust between community and police.
- R leads RapidMiner, Python catches up, Big Data tools grow, Spark ignites - May 25, 2015.
R is the most popular overall tool among data miners, although Python usage is growing faster. RapidMiner continues to be most popular suite for data mining/data science. Hadoop/Big Data tools usage grew to 29%, propelled by 3x growth in Spark. Other tools with strong growth include H2O (0xdata), Actian, MLlib, and Alteryx.
- Top stories for May 17-23: 7 Methods for Data Dimensionality Reduction; Will the Real Data Scientists Please Stand Up? - May 24, 2015.
Poll: What Predictive Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science software/tools used? Seven Techniques for Data Dimensionality Reduction; Will the Real Data Scientists Please Stand Up?; R vs Python, why each is better.
- Deep Learning and Big Data Products: Synthos Technologies - May 23, 2015.
Using Deep Learning to build products on massive scale, virtues of transaction analytics, and which industries will likely to be disrupted in the near future, a perspective from Synthos Technologies.
- Exclusive Interview: Matei Zaharia, creator of Apache Spark, on Spark, Hadoop, Flink, and Big Data in 2020 - May 22, 2015.
Apache Spark is one the hottest Big Data technologies in 2015. KDnuggets talks to Matei Zaharia, creator of Apache Spark, about key things to know about it, why it is not a replacement for Hadoop, how it is better than Flink, and vision for Big Data in 2020.
- Interview: Linda Powell, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) on Data Governance for Finance Industry - May 22, 2015.
We discuss the chief data officer role at CFPB, big data opportunities and challenges, ontology, vintage data, data governance trends, advice, and more.
- Trifacta – Wrangling US Flight Data, part 2 - May 22, 2015.
This post shows how to use Trifacta to clean the data and enrich it with airport geo-locations and airline names, including filling missing values, and doing a lookup from another dataset. We also learn which is the best airline at O’Hare airport.
- Top 10 Data Mining Algorithms, Explained - May 21, 2015.
Top 10 data mining algorithms, selected by top researchers, are explained here, including what do they do, the intuition behind the algorithm, available implementations of the algorithms, why use them, and interesting applications.
- How to reduce Data Hoarding, get Better Visualizations and Decisions - May 21, 2015.
Creating a hodge-podge of pretty pictures of every datapoint is a guaranteed way to destroy the value of a visualization. We examine how to reduce such data hoarding and improve decisions.
- 5 Not-to-be-Missed Ideas about Big Data - May 21, 2015.
The things we can measure are never exactly what we care about; When everything hinges on metrics, people will game the metrics to the point of losing any meaning; and more key ideas summarized by Kaiser Fung.
- CRN 2015 Big Data Management Companies - May 21, 2015.
Big Data and it's ease-of-use plays a key role in this year’s ‘CRN Big Data 100: Top 30 Data Management companies’. New additions include At Scale, Databricks, and Tamr. A majority of these companies develop open-source NoSQL database technology.
- Simplilearn: Big Data, Analytics online courses discount, Free ebook - May 21, 2015.
The role of a Data Scientist is ever evolving and a candidate with up-to-date skills will be preferred over their peers across industries. Learn SAS, Hadoop, R, Big Data, and Analytics skills with Simplilearn online courses, special discount until May 30.
- Essays On Statistics Denial - May 20, 2015.
Statistics denial comes in waves as areas of application discover and rediscover the potential of data insights. We examine the statistics denial myths and where they come from.
- I’ve Been Replaced by an Analytics Robot - May 20, 2015.
A veteran statistician reflects on the journey from a statistician of the past to data scientist of today, how the work he used to do became automated, and what future can data scientists can expect.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 12-18: Hadoop demand falls; Andrew Ng Machine Learning class, excellent course notes - May 19, 2015.
#Hadoop demand falls, 54% of enterprises have no plans for it; Download your entire #Google search history; #DataScience for #Dummies: An interview with author Lilian @BigDataGal Pierson; Andrew Ng Machine Learning Coursera class - complete, excellent course notes.
- Big Data Lessons from Microsoft “how-old” Experiment - May 19, 2015.
Salil Mehta examines Microsoft’s viral “How old do I look?” site, the limits of its age recognition, possible algorithms, and implications for Big Data analysis.
- Interview: Antonio Magnaghi, TicketMaster on Why Honesty is Key for Analytics Success - May 19, 2015.
We discuss lessons from implementing lambda architecture, impact of Big Data on recommender systems, trends, advice, and more.
- R vs Python, why each is better - May 19, 2015.
A report on a free-wheeling Australian meetup discussing "Why R is Better" and "Why Python is Better". What do you think?
- Strategies for Monetizing Big Data - May 19, 2015.
In the current tsunami of “Big Data” every business wants to get value out of the data. We examine four overarching data strategies and their specific monetization strategies.
- PAW Chicago: Five Unbeatable Analytics Workshops - May 19, 2015.
Take your predictive analytics up a notch with unbeatable PAW Chicago workshops, covering R, predictive modeling, ensemble methods and more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – May 19 and beyond - May 18, 2015.
Demystify Data Flows, How Analytics Might Save Your Life, 5 Predictive Analytics Lessons, 3 Ways to Improve Targeted Marketing, Building an Analytics Team, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, and more.
- Cartoon: How Smart Do You Look? - May 18, 2015.
The follow-up to "How-Old" demo, New Deep Learning "How Smart You Are" IQ and Face Recognition Algorithm accidentally discovers the smartest being on the internet.
- Interview: Antonio Magnaghi, TicketMaster on Unifying Heterogeneous Analytics through Lambda Architecture - May 18, 2015.
We discuss the role of Data Science team at Ticketmaster, ecommerce data characteristics, analytics based on highly variant data flow, infrastructure challenges, and merits of lambda architecture.
- Will the Real Data Scientists Please Stand Up? - May 18, 2015.
Job postings for data scientists are everywhere. But what is a data scientist? I present a few archetypes.
- Most Viewed Data Mining Videos on YouTube - May 18, 2015.
The top Data Mining YouTube videos by those like Google and Revolution Analytics covers topics ranging from statistics in data mining to using R for data mining to data mining in sports.
- How to Lead a Data Science Contest without Reading the Data - May 17, 2015.
We examine a “wacky” boosting method that lets you climb the public leaderboard without even looking at the data . But there is a catch, so read on before trying to win Kaggle competitions with this approach.
- Top stories for May 10-16: Poll: Analytics, Data Mining software used; 3 things about Data Science not in books - May 17, 2015.
Predictive Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science software used?; 3 Things About Data Science You Won't Find In Books; Most Viewed Big Data Videos on YouTube; Machine Learning Wars: Amazon vs Google vs BigML vs PredicSis.
- UC Analytics Summit, Cincinnati, May 29, 2015 - May 15, 2015.
UC Summit will feature two analytics leaders: John Elder and Stephen Few, 4 afternoon tracks focusing on descriptive / prescriptive / predictive analytics, building your analytics team, and more.
- Interview: Sheridan Hitchens, Auction.com on Customer Lifetime Value as the Cornerstone for Marketing Analytics - May 15, 2015.
We discuss Customer Lifetime Value (CLV) metric, maturity level for the CLV metric, different models for calculating it, challenges in designing strategy based on CLV and tackling attribution.
- ebook: Learning Apache Mahout, Big Data Analytics - May 15, 2015.
Acquire practical skills in Big Data Analytics and explore data science with Apache Mahout with this comprehensive guide with numerous code examples and end-to-end case studies.
- ebook: Learning Apache Mahout Classification - May 15, 2015.
If you are a data scientist with Hadoop experience and interest in machine learning, this book is for you. Learn about different classification in Apache Mahout and build your own classifiers.
- Data Science for Workforce Optimization: Reducing Employee Attrition - May 15, 2015.
Predictive analytics is growing its reach, see how it is affecting workforce analytics domain. In this presentation Pasha Roberts explains what is in it for students, managers and practitioners.
- Stanford Webinar: Big Data + Electronic Health Records = Better Healthcare, June 18 - May 15, 2015.
We show how to transform unstructured patient notes into a de-identified, temporally ordered, patient-feature matrix, and examine use-cases use the resulting data to improve learning of practice-based evidence in electronic medical records.
- Surprising Random Correlations - May 14, 2015.
An interesting demo showing how easy it is to find surprising correlations in real data. Is German unemployment rate related to Apple Stock? Is 10-year Treasury rate related to price of Red Winter Wheat? You will be surprised.
- INFORMS Analytics courses: Discrete-Event Simulation, Essential Practice Skills for Analytics Professionals - May 14, 2015.
INFORMS Continuing Education courses are designed to enhance the skills for today’s analytics professionals. SPECIAL OFFER: Register now to save $350 on registration for the upcoming course Introduction to Monte Carlo and Discrete-Event Simulation, offered on May 28-29 in Washington, DC.
- Interview: Hobson Lane, SHARP Labs on How Analytics can Show You “All the Light You Cannot See” - May 14, 2015.
We discuss the impact of rapid growth in magnitude of data, programming skills for data science, major trends, advice, data science skills, and more.
- Cloud Machine Learning’s Ostrich Mania & Uncanny Valley - May 14, 2015.
Cloud machine learning services are popping up by the tens, providing automated data science solutions. What will the anticipated customers want? They may follow a peculiar distribution reminiscent of the uncanny valley.
- Seven Techniques for Data Dimensionality Reduction, by Rosaria Silipo - May 14, 2015.
Performing data mining with high dimensional data sets. Comparative study of different feature selection techniques like Missing Values Ratio, Low Variance Filter, PCA, Random Forests / Ensemble Trees etc.
- In-Memory Computing Summit, San Francisco, June 29-30 - May 14, 2015.
The In-Memory Computing Summit 2015 is the first and only industry-wide event of its kind, where Fast Data meets Big Data. Get KDnuggets discount if you register by may 31.
- Interview: Hobson Lane, SHARP Labs on the Beauty of Simplicity in Analytics - May 13, 2015.
We discuss Predictive Analytics projects at Sharp Labs of America, common myths, value of simplicity, tools and technologies, and notorious data quality issues.
- Plotly: Online Dashboards That Update Your Data and Graphs - May 13, 2015.
New online visualization option from Plot.ly allows you to have data visualizations and graphs that update dynamically.
- Last chance – Participate in the Rexer Analytics 2015 Data Miner Survey – before it closes May 30 - May 13, 2015.
Data Analysts, Predictive Modelers, Data Scientists, Data Miners, and all other types of analytic professionals, students, and academics - please participate in the Rexer Analytics 2015 Data Miner Survey before it closes May 30.
- Should Data Science Really Do That? - May 13, 2015.
Data Science amazing progress in its ability to do predictions and analysis is raising important ethical questions, such as should that data be collected? Should the collected data be used for that application? Should you be involved?
- Predictive Analytics World Workforce 2015: Highlights - May 13, 2015.
PAW Workforce 2015 highlights include: analytics is now redefining Human Resources, Analytics lessons are quite applicable to workforce questions, and unique challenges of Workforce analytics.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 4-11: Why #HowOldRobot went viral and how does it work? 3 Things About #DataScience You Won’t Find In Books - May 12, 2015.
Why #HowOldRobot went viral and how does it work? 3 Things About #DataScience You Won't Find In Books; Cartoon reminds all Data Scientists to remember their Mother; Data Scientist vs Data #Engineer.
- PAW Chicago: The Power of Predictive Analytics World – Why the buzz? - May 12, 2015.
PAW for Business, the industry leading predictive analytics conference, will be in Chicago, June 8-11, 2015. Learn why there is such buzz about the conference and what people are saying about it. KDnuggets discount.
- Interview: Mark Weiner, Temple University Health System on Addressing Healthcare Data Gaps through Advanced Simulation - May 12, 2015.
We discuss dealing with current gaps in healthcare data, challenges in using real world healthcare data, desired skills for data scientists in healthcare industry, advice, and more.
- CRN Big Data Business Analytics Companies - May 12, 2015.
Data, Analytics, and Intelligence play a key role in CRN Big Data 100 in 2015. New additions include predictive analytics firms Knime, Logi Analytics, Looker, Luminoso, Predixion, RapidMiner, and Salesforce.
- Machine Learning Wars: Amazon vs Google vs BigML vs PredicSis - May 12, 2015.
Comparing 4 Machine Learning APIs: Amazon Machine Learning, BigML, Google Prediction API and PredicSis on a real data from Kaggle, we find the most accurate, the fastest, the best tradeoff, and a surprise last place.
- Trifacta – Wrangling US Flight Data - May 12, 2015.
A useful case study shows how Trifacta can clean and analyze US Flight data, including cleaning up markup, removing unrelated and redundant columns, cleaning geographic names and more.
- Salford: 3 Ways to Improve your Targeted Marketing with Analytics, May 28 - May 11, 2015.
This webinar will show you how to optimize your targeted marketing using common analytics techniques. We will demonstrate with real-world data and give you software, data, and step-by-step instructions to enable you to do this on your own data.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – May 12 and beyond - May 11, 2015.
Smart Apps With Deep Learning APIs, Actionable Insights from Life Sciences and Healthcare Data, Demystify Data Flows, 5 Predictive Analytics Lessons, 3 Ways to Improve Targeted Marketing, and more.
- Interview: Mark Weiner, Temple University Health System on Maturity Assessment of Healthcare Analytics - May 11, 2015.
We discuss the challenges and opportunities created by increased collection of healthcare data, state of data accessibility, and the value of Analytics to the drug development process.
- Gaming Analytics Summit 2015, San Francisco – Day 2 Highlights - May 11, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Gaming Analytics leaders from Activision, Riot Games and Daybreak Game Company (formerly Sony Online Entertainment) on day 2 of Gaming Analytics Innovation Summit 2015 in San Francisco.
- 3 Things About Data Science You Won’t Find In Books - May 11, 2015.
There are many courses on Data Science that teach the latest logistic regression or deep learning methods, but what happens in practice? Data Scientist shares his main practical insights that are not taught in universities.
- Angoss: 5 Predictive Analytics Lessons from a Decision Management Guru, May 21 Webinar - May 11, 2015.
Decision Management thought leader James Taylor will present 5 key lessons to help you move from predictive analytics to "prescriptive analytics" and maximize the ROI on analytics strategies.
- Top stories for May 3-9: Data Scientists Automated by 2025? The Inconvenient Truth About Data Science - May 10, 2015.
Data Scientists Automated and Unemployed by 2025? The Inconvenient Truth About Data Science; Most Viewed Big Data Videos on YouTube; Poll: Predictive Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science software/tools used?
- Cartoon: Data Scientist Mother - May 10, 2015.
We revisit KDnuggets Cartoon which looks at the Mother of All Data. Enjoy and don't forget the mothers in your life - Big Data predicted that 67.53% of you would remember!
- Most Viewed Big Data Videos on YouTube - May 9, 2015.
The top Big Data YouTube videos by those like Hortonworks and Kirk D. Borne cover diverse topics including Hadoop, Big Data Trends, Deep Learning, and Big Data Leadership.
- April 2015 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - May 8, 2015.
Apr 2015 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Microsoft + RevolutionR, Most-Funded Startups, VC says boom not bubble - look at valuations, and more.
- Ontotext: Creating Actionable Insights from Life Sciences and Healthcare Data, May 14 - May 8, 2015.
Life sciences and healthcare organizations sit on mountains of structured and unstructured information. This webinar shows how semantic technology and text analytics help get value from this information, with a focus on Data Modeling, Data Mining, and Data Fusion.
- Interview: Alison Burnham, Scorebig on Optimal, Real-time Pricing through Analytics - May 8, 2015.
We discuss Analytics at ScoreBig, company’s business model, unexpected insights, challenges in customer value management, advice, and more.
- Gaming Analytics Summit 2015, San Francisco – Day 1 Highlights - May 8, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Gaming Analytics leaders from Facebook, Turbine/Warner Bros Games, and Sega on day 1 of Gaming Analytics Innovation Summit 2015 in San Francisco.
- Top April stories: Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub; Forrester Wave Big Data Predictive Analytics – Gainers and Losers - May 8, 2015.
Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub; Forrester Wave Big Data Predictive Analytics - Gainers and Losers; Cloud Machine Learning Wars; Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science.
- Interview: Michael Stonebraker, greatest living contributor to database technology - May 7, 2015.
Michael Stonebraker, described as the greatest living contributor to database technology, on how he adjusts to the award and what trends he foresees in database management systems and big data.
- 10 reasons why how-old.net went viral and how does it work? - May 7, 2015.
10 reasons why how-old.net went viral and how does it actually works - classic linear regression on top of amazing face recognition.
- Lavastorm Webinar: Demystify Your Data Flows for Better Regulatory Compliance, May 19 - May 7, 2015.
Complying with new financial regulations can be incredibly costly. Learn how Lavastorm helps firms aggregate and manage data, provide visibility into data sources, transformation and lineage, and reduce time and costs spent on compliance.
- Poll: What Predictive Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science software/tools you used in the past 12 months? - May 7, 2015.
Vote in KDnuggets 16th Annual Poll: What Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science software/tools you used in the past 12 months for a real project?. We will clean and analyze the results and publish our trend analysis afterwards.
- Best 5 minutes in Data Science, Season 1 - May 6, 2015.
Ingo Mierswa, Data Scientist and RapidMiner CEO, shares his thoughts about trends, challenges and opportunities in analytics and explains data science concepts in understandable and fun style, with help from a unicorn, a wizard, and other special guests.
- KDD 2015 Innovation and Service Awards, nominations due June 5 - May 6, 2015.
ACM SIGKDD Innovation and Service Awards recognize outstanding technical innovations and outstanding professional contributions to the field of Big data, Data Mining, Knowledge Discovery, and Predictive Analytics.
- Deep Learning with Structure – a preview - May 6, 2015.
A big problem with Deep Learning networks is that their internal representation lacks interpretability. At the upcoming #DeepLearning Summit, Charlie Tang, a student of Geoff Hinton, will present an approach to address this concern - here is a preview.
- The Inconvenient Truth About Data Science - May 5, 2015.
Data is never clean, you will spend most of your time cleaning and preparing data, 95% of tasks do not require deep learning, and more inconvenient wisdom.
- Data Scientists Automated and Unemployed by 2025? - May 5, 2015.
Will Data Scientists be unemployed by 2025? Majority of voters in latest KDnuggets Poll expect expert-level Data Science to be automated in 10 years or less.
- Basketball Predictive Analytics: Will he take the shot? - May 5, 2015.
Sports analytics has reached a new level - now researchers can predict whether and from where a basketball player will take shot, Check a fun online app that lets you play with predictions.
- Has your data become overwhelming? Attend PAW Chicago - May 5, 2015.
Has your data become overwhelming? Let Predictive Analytics World Help! Attend our Chicago event(s) to develop the skills and strategies to use your data effectively. KDnuggets discount.
- Try JMP® free for 30 days - May 4, 2015.
JMP software from SAS gives you dynamic data visualization and analytics on the desktop - speed the learning cycle and make it easier to reach breakthrough discoveries.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 27 – May 3: Attack of the #BigData Startups; Data Science from Scratch: First Principles with Python - May 4, 2015.
DataScience from Scratch: First Principles with Python; Attack of the #BigData Startups - @cbinsights maps the industries; Not accurate, but #fun ! See how old Microsoft thinks you are; US Chief Data Scientist @dpatil on #DataScience #BigData past and future.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – May 5 and beyond - May 4, 2015.
Making Sense of Hadoop, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, Demystify your Data Flows, 5 Lessons from a Decision Management Guru, 3 Ways to Improve Regression, and more.
- Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science – Discussions up, Engagement down - May 4, 2015.
While discussions are growing, the comments and engagements are falling, especially since 2012. We cluster groups into 4 quadrants by activity level and identify most active and engaged groups. Open groups are twice as active as closed.
- 80 upcoming May – November 2015 Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science - May 4, 2015.
Coming soon: Big Data Innovation London, Business Analytics Chicago, Smartcon Istanbul, Open Data Science Boston, PAW Chicago, ICML Lille, Sentiment Analysis NYC, and many more.
- Guiding Principles to Build a Demand Forecast - May 4, 2015.
Demand forecasting is key for many industries, including finance, healthcare, and retails, and it is one of the most challenging tasks for predictive analytics. We review challenges and guiding principles of demand forecasting.
- Strata + Hadoop World 2015, London, May 5-7, Watch Live - May 4, 2015.
As Strata media partner, KDnuggets brings to you this opportunity to watch keynotes from Strata + Hadoop London live, May 5-7. Check the details inside.
- NoSQL matters, great fun and tech nerdity, Dublin, June 4 - May 4, 2015.
NoSQL matters provides a opportunity to network with leading NoSQL experts from all around the world. Also, enter a raffle for a KDnuggets free ticket.
- NYC Data Science Academy 12 weeks Bootcamp, Apply by May 15 - May 3, 2015.
Upcoming NYC Data Science Academy education includes a 12-week bootcamp, classes on Intro to Data Science, and Data Analysis with R and with Python, meetups, and job placement assistance.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in April - May 3, 2015.
20+ new meetings, including Smartcon (Istabul), Collab. Data Science, Boston Data Festival, SIGMOD 2016, ICDM 2016; Awesome public datasets; DecisionIQ, VisualText and more.
- Top stories for Apr 26 – May 2: The Myth of Model Interpretability; How To Become a Data Scientist and Get Hired - May 3, 2015.
The Myth of Model Interpretability; How To Become a Data Scientist And Get Hired; Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining; Emmanuel Letouze, Data-Pop Alliance on Big Data for Development and Future Prospects.
- Talking Machine – Deep Learning in Speech Recognition - May 2, 2015.
A summary about an episode on the talking machine about deep neural networks in speech recognition given by George Dahl, who is one of Geoffrey Hinton’s students and just defended his Ph.D last month.
- Interview: Haile Owusu, Mashable on Surviving Imprecision in Digital Media Analytics - May 1, 2015.
We discuss the challenges in tracking social media sharing, advice, important trends, and more.
- Data Mining Process/Workflow Reproducibility and KNIME - May 1, 2015.
What happens with analytics and data mining workflows when different components change? KNIME approach of keeping the old versions as part of the platform guarantees reproducibility.
- WebDataCommons – the Data and Framework for Web-scale Mining - May 1, 2015.
The WebDataCommons project extracts the largest publicly available hyperlink graph, large product-, address-, recipe-, and review corpora, as well as millions of HTML tables from the Common Crawl web corpus and provides the extracted data for public download.
- How Data Science makes Better Products - May 1, 2015.
This video defines adaptive software, shows how data science realizes these applications, and discusses how these new tools are addressing real world challenges across all industries.
- DrivenData Competition: Keeping Boston Fresh - May 1, 2015.
DrivenData civic innovation competition, "Keeping it Fresh," aims to help cities capitalize on their data. The task is to predict Boston restaurant violations from social media.
- How To Become a Data Scientist And Get Hired - May 1, 2015.
A data scientist should be able to choose the right technology, understand the business context and solve a wide range of problems. To hire the the right data scientist, check the tips list in the post.