All (81) | Events (5) | News (4) | Opinions (34) | Top Stories, Tweets (10) | Tutorials, Overviews (28)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 18-30: A Gentle Introduction to Math Behind Neural Networks - Dec 31, 2019.
A Gentle Introduction to #Math Behind #NeuralNetworks; Learn How to Quickly Create UIs in Python; I wanna be a data scientist, but... how!?; I created my own deepfake in two weeks
- What is the most important question for Data Science (and Digital Transformation) - Dec 31, 2019.
With so many buzzwords surrounding AI and machine learning, understanding which can bring business value and which are best left in the lab to mature is difficult. While machine learning offers significant power in driving digital transformations, a business must start with the right questions and leave the math to the development teams.
- Towards a Quantitative Measure of Intelligence: Breaking Down One of the Most Important AI Papers of 2019, Part II - Dec 31, 2019.
AI scientist Francois Chollet proposes a better framework for measuring the intelligence of AI systems.
- How To “Ultralearn” Data Science: summary, for those in a hurry - Dec 30, 2019.
For those of you in a hurry and interested in ultralearning (which should be all of you), this recap reviews the approach and summarizes its key elements -- focus, optimization, and deep understanding with experimentation -- geared toward learning Data Science.
- Top Stories, Dec 16-29: What is a Data Scientist Worth?; Google’s New Explainable AI Service - Dec 30, 2019.
Also: Let’s Build an Intelligent Chatbot; 10 Best and Free Machine Learning Courses, Online; Build Pipelines with Pandas Using pdpipe; Alternative Cloud Hosted Data Science Environments
- Towards a Quantitative Measure of Intelligence: Breaking Down One of the Most Important AI Papers of 2019, Part I - Dec 30, 2019.
AI scientist Francois Chollet proposes a better framework for measuring the intelligence of AI systems.
- How To “Ultralearn” Data Science: deep understanding and experimentation, Part 4 - Dec 27, 2019.
In this fourth and final part of the ultralearning data science series, it's time to take the final steps toward developing a deep understanding of the fundamentals and learning how to experiment -- the two aspects that are the ultimate keys to ultralearning.
- Fighting Overfitting in Deep Learning - Dec 27, 2019.
This post outlines an attack plan for fighting overfitting in neural networks.
- 10 Best and Free Machine Learning Courses, Online - Dec 26, 2019.
Getting ready to leap into the world of Data Science? Consider these top machine learning courses curated by experts to help you learn and thrive in this exciting field.
- Random Forest® vs Neural Networks for Predicting Customer Churn - Dec 26, 2019.
Let us see how random forest competes with neural networks for solving a real world business problem.
- KDnuggets Cartoon in an English textbook? - Dec 24, 2019.
KDnuggets is not only for learning about AI, Data Science, and Machine Learning. A KDnuggets cartoon has been included in an English language and culture textbook for French high-school students.
- Market Basket Analysis: A Tutorial - Dec 24, 2019.
This article is about Market Basket Analysis & the Apriori algorithm that works behind it.
- What is Data Catalog and Why You Should Care? - Dec 23, 2019.
Learn why data catalogs could be just the thing you need to meet the challenges of data and metadata management and collaboration.
- What is a Data Scientist Worth? - Dec 23, 2019.
What is the Salary of a Data Scientist in 2019? Let's have a look at some data to see how we can answer that question.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 11-17: Idiot’s Guide to Precision, Recall and Confusion - Dec 20, 2019.
Idiot's Guide to Precision, Recall and Confusion Matrix; 10 Free Must-Read Books for Machine Learning and Data Science; How to Speed up Pandas by 4x with one line of codes; #Math for Programmers teaches you the math you need to know.
- How To “Ultralearn” Data Science: optimization learning, Part 3 - Dec 20, 2019.
This third part in a series about how to "ultralearn" data science will guide you through how to optimize your learning through five valuable techniques.
- Google’s New Explainable AI Service - Dec 20, 2019.
Google has started offering a new service for “explainable AI” or XAI, as it is fashionably called. Presently offered tools are modest, but the intent is in the right direction.
- The Most In Demand Tech Skills for Data Scientists - Dec 20, 2019.
By the end of this article you’ll know which technologies are becoming more popular with employers and which are becoming less popular.
- Alternative Cloud Hosted Data Science Environments - Dec 19, 2019.
Over the years new alternative providers have risen to provided a solitary data science environment hosted on the cloud for data scientist to analyze, host and share their work.
- Interpretability part 3: opening the black box with LIME and SHAP - Dec 19, 2019.
The third part in a series on leveraging techniques to take a look inside the black box of AI, this guide considers methods that try to explain each prediction instead of establishing a global explanation.
- 5 Ways to Apply Ethics to AI - Dec 19, 2019.
Here are six more lessons based on real life examples that I think we should all remember as people working in machine learning, whether you’re a researcher, engineer, or a decision-maker.
- Ontotext Platform 3.0 for Enterprise Knowledge Graphs Released - Dec 18, 2019.
Ontotext Platform 3.0 features significant technology improvements to enable simpler and faster graph navigation, including GraphQL interfaces to make it easier for application developers to access knowledge graphs without tedious development of back-end APIs or complex SPARQL.
- The 4 fastest ways NOT to get hired as a data scientist - Dec 18, 2019.
Ready to try to get hired as a data scientist for the first time? Avoiding these common mistakes won’t guarantee an offer, but not avoiding them is a sure fire way for your application to be tossed into the trash bin.
- Automatic Text Summarization in a Nutshell - Dec 18, 2019.
Marketing scientist Kevin Gray asks Dr. Anna Farzindar of the University of Southern California about Automatic Text Summarization and the various ways it is used.
- How to Convert an RGB Image to Grayscale - Dec 18, 2019.
This post is about working with a mixture of color and grayscale images and needing to transform them into a uniform format - all grayscale. We'll be working in Python using the Pillow, Numpy, and Matplotlib packages.
- The ravages of concept drift in stream learning applications and how to deal with it - Dec 18, 2019.
Stream data processing has gained progressive momentum with the arriving of new stream applications and big data scenarios. These streams of data evolve generally over time and may be occasionally affected by a change (concept drift). How to handle this change by using detection and adaptation mechanisms is crucial in many real-world systems.
- Top 2019 Stories: Top 10 Technology Trends of 2019; How to select rows and columns in Pandas - Dec 17, 2019.
Also: Your AI skills are worth less than you think; Another 10 Free Must-See Courses for Machine Learning and Data Science.
- Building an Analytics Career at U. Chicago - Dec 17, 2019.
Michael Collela describes how UChicago’s Master of Science in Analytics has helped him define his career path. Michael currently works as a data scientist at dunnhumby.
- How To “Ultralearn” Data Science: removing distractions and finding focus, Part 2 - Dec 17, 2019.
This second part in a series about how to "ultralearn" data science will guide you through several techniques to remove those distractions -- because your focus needs more focus.
- Pedestrian Detection Using Non Maximum Suppression Algorithm - Dec 17, 2019.
Read this overview of a complete pipeline for detecting pedestrians on the road.
- Let’s Build an Intelligent Chatbot - Dec 17, 2019.
Check out this step by step approach to building an intelligent chatbot in Python.
- View the PAW Business Agenda & Benefit from Extended Super Early Bird until Dec 20 - Dec 16, 2019.
The agenda for Predictive Analytics World for Business (Las Vegas, May 31 - Jun 4) has just been released. Super Early Bird Deadline Extended until Dec 20th. Register now!
- Industry AI, Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science Predictions for 2020 - Dec 16, 2019.
Predictions for 2020 from a dozen innovative companies in AI, Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science, and Data industry.
- The Ultimate Guide to Model Retraining - Dec 16, 2019.
Once you have deployed your machine learning model into production, differences in real-world data will result in model drift. So, retraining and redeploying will likely be required. In other words, deployment should be treated as a continuous process. This guide defines model drift and how to identify it, and includes approaches to enable model training.
- Top Stories, Dec 9-15: Machine Learning & Data Science Research Main Developments, Key Trends; Build Pipelines with Pandas Using pdpipe - Dec 16, 2019.
Also: Plotnine: Python Alternative to ggplot2; AI, Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science, Deep Learning Technology Main Developments in 2019 and Key Trends for 2020; Moving Predictive Maintenance from Theory to Practice; 10 Free Top Notch Machine Learning Courses; Math for Programmers!
- Microsoft Introduces Icebreaker to Address the Famous Ice-Start Challenge in Machine Learning - Dec 16, 2019.
The new technique allows the deployment of machine learning models that operate with minimum training data.
- Xavier Amatriain’s Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence 2019 Year-end Roundup - Dec 16, 2019.
It is an annual tradition for Xavier Amatriain to write a year-end retrospective of advances in AI/ML, and this year is no different. Gain an understanding of the important developments of the past year, as well as insights into what expect in 2020.
- KDnuggets Poll: How well do current AutoML solutions work? - Dec 14, 2019.
Take part in our latest poll, asking readers their opinions on the effectiveness of current automated machine learning solutions.
- How To “Ultralearn” Data Science, Part 1 - Dec 13, 2019.
What is "ultralearning" and how can you follow the strategy to become an expert of data science? Start with this first part in a series that will guide you through this self-motivated methodology to help you efficiently master difficult skills.
- Dusting Under the Bed: Machine Learners’ Responsibility for the Future of Our Society - Dec 13, 2019.
The Machine Learning community must shape the world so that AI is built and implemented with a focus on the entire outcome for our society, and not just optimized for accuracy and/or profit.
- Build Pipelines with Pandas Using pdpipe - Dec 13, 2019.
We show how to build intuitive and useful pipelines with Pandas DataFrame using a wonderful little library called pdpipe.
- KDD 2020 Call for Research, Applied Data Science Papers - Dec 12, 2019.
ACM SIGKDD Invites Industry and Academic Experts to Submit Advancements in Data Mining, Knowledge Discovery and Machine Learning for 26th Annual Conference in San Diego.
- Plotnine: Python Alternative to ggplot2 - Dec 12, 2019.
Python's plotting libraries such as matplotlib and seaborn does allow the user to create elegant graphics as well, but lack of a standardized syntax for implementing the grammar of graphics compared to the simple, readable and layering approach of ggplot2 in R makes it more difficult to implement in Python.
- What just happened in the world of AI? - Dec 12, 2019.
The speed at which AI made advancements and news during 2019 makes it imperative now to step back and place these events into order and perspective. It's important to separate the interest that any one advancement initially attracts, from its actual gravity and its consequential influence on the field. This review unfolds the parallel threads of these AI stories over this year and isolates their significance.
- Python Dictionary Guide: 10 Python Dictionary Methods & Examples - Dec 12, 2019.
Master Python Dictionaries and their essential functions in 15 minutes with this introductory guide.
- Deploying a pretrained GPT-2 model on AWS - Dec 12, 2019.
This post attempts to summarize my recent detour into NLP, describing how I exposed a Huggingface pre-trained Language Model (LM) on an AWS-based web application.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 04-10: AI, Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science, Deep Learning Research Main Developments in 2019 and Key Trends for 2020 - Dec 11, 2019.
AI, Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science, Deep Learning Research Main Developments and Key Trends; Down with technical debt! Clean #Python for #DataScientists; Calculate Similarity - the most relevant Metrics in a Nutshell.
- Math for Programmers! - Dec 11, 2019.
Math for Programmers teaches you the math you need to know for a career in programming, concentrating on what you need to know as a developer.
- AI, Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science, Deep Learning Technology Main Developments in 2019 and Key Trends for 2020 - Dec 11, 2019.
We asked leading experts - what are the most important developments of 2019 and 2020 key trends in AI, Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science, and Deep Learning? This blog focuses mainly on technology and deployment.
- Interpretability: Cracking open the black box, Part 2 - Dec 11, 2019.
The second part in a series on leveraging techniques to take a look inside the black box of AI, this guide considers post-hoc interpretation that is useful when the model is not transparent.
- NeurIPS 2019 Outstanding Paper Awards - Dec 11, 2019.
NeurIPS 2019 is underway in Vancouver, and the committee has just recently announced this year's Outstanding Paper Awards. Find out what the selections were, along with some additional info on NeurIPS papers, here.
- Top November Stories: How to Speed up Pandas by 4x with one line of code - Dec 10, 2019.
Also: 10 Free Must-read Books on AI; Data Science for Managers: Programming Languages; The Complete Data Science LinkedIn Profile Guide.
- Deployment of Machine learning models using Flask - Dec 10, 2019.
This blog will explain the basics of deploying a machine learning algorithm, focusing on developing a Naïve Bayes model for spam message identification, and using Flask to create an API for that model.
- Scalable graph machine learning: a mountain we can climb? - Dec 10, 2019.
Graph machine learning is a developing area of research that brings many complexities. One challenge that both fascinates and infuriates those working with graph algorithms is — scalability. We take a close look at scalability for graph machine learning methods covering what it is, what makes it difficult, and an example of a method that tackles it head-on.
- Intro to Grafana: Installation, Configuration, and Building the First Dashboard - Dec 10, 2019.
One of the biggest highlights of Grafana is the ability to bring several data sources together in one dashboard with adding rows that will host individual panels. Let's look at installing, configuring, and creating our first dashboard using Grafana.
- 5 Great New Features in Latest Scikit-learn Release - Dec 10, 2019.
From not sweating missing values, to determining feature importance for any estimator, to support for stacking, and a new plotting API, here are 5 new features of the latest release of Scikit-learn which deserve your attention.
- Moving Predictive Maintenance from Theory to Practice - Dec 9, 2019.
Here are four common hurdles that need to be overcome before tapping into the benefits of predictive maintenance.
- The 4 Hottest Trends in Data Science for 2020 - Dec 9, 2019.
The field of Data Science is growing with new capabilities and reach into every industry. With digital transformations occurring in organizations around the world, 2019 included trends of more companies leveraging more data to make better decisions. Check out these next trends in Data Science expected to take off in 2020.
- AI, Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science, Deep Learning Research Main Developments in 2019 and Key Trends for 2020 - Dec 9, 2019.
As we say goodbye to one year and look forward to another, KDnuggets has once again solicited opinions from numerous research & technology experts as to the most important developments of 2019 and their 2020 key trend predictions.
- Top Stories, Dec 2-8: How to Speed up Pandas by 4x with one line of code; 10 Free Top Notch Machine Learning Courses - Dec 9, 2019.
Also: Data Science Curriculum Roadmap; Enabling the Deep Learning Revolution; The Essential Toolbox for Data Cleaning; A Non-Technical Reading List for Data Science; The Future of Careers in Data Science & Analysis
- DeepMind Unveils MuZero, a New Agent that Mastered Chess, Shogi, Atari and Go Without Knowing the Rules - Dec 9, 2019.
The new model showed great improvements over the previous AlphaZero agent.
- Webinar: Natural Language Processing for Digital Transformation of Unstructured Text - Dec 6, 2019.
Learn how pharma and healthcare organizations are using the power of Natural Language Processing (NLP) to transform unstructured text into actionable structured data.
- Accuracy Fallacy: The Media’s Coverage of AI Is Bogus - Dec 6, 2019.
Such as the gross exaggerations Stanford researchers broadcasted about their infamous "AI gaydar" project, there exists a prevalent "accuracy fallacy" in relation to AI from the media. Find out more about how the press constantly misleads the public into believing that machine learning can reliably predict psychosis, heart attacks, sexuality, and much more.
- 10 Free Top Notch Machine Learning Courses - Dec 6, 2019.
Are you interested in studying machine learning over the holidays? This collection of 10 free top notch courses will allow you to do just that, with something for every approach to improving your machine learning skills.
- 5 Techniques to Prevent Overfitting in Neural Networks - Dec 6, 2019.
In this article, I will present five techniques to prevent overfitting while training neural networks.
- Why software engineering processes and tools don’t work for machine learning - Dec 5, 2019.
While AI may be the new electricity significant challenges remain to realize AI potential. Here we examine why data scientists and teams can’t rely on software engineering tools and processes for machine learning.
- The Essential Toolbox for Data Cleaning - Dec 5, 2019.
Increase your confidence to perform data cleaning with a broader perspective of what datasets typically look like, and follow this toolbox of code snipets to make your data cleaning process faster and more efficient.
- Enabling the Deep Learning Revolution - Dec 5, 2019.
Deep learning models are revolutionizing the business and technology world with jaw-dropping performances in one application area after another. Read this post on some of the numerous composite technologies which allow deep learning its complex nonlinearity.
- Artificial Friend or Virtual Foe - Dec 5, 2019.
Is AI making more good than harm?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 27 – Dec 03: Data Science Books you should read in 2020 - Dec 4, 2019.
Also: WTF is a Tensor?!?; A Reality Check on #DataScience Hype; Is Data Science dying?; Indeed Fastest-Rising Tech Skills, 2018-2019; Cartoon: #Thanksgiving, Big Data, and Turkey #DataScience…
- Explainability: Cracking open the black box, Part 1 - Dec 4, 2019.
What is Explainability in AI and how can we leverage different techniques to open the black box of AI and peek inside? This practical guide offers a review and critique of the various techniques of interpretability.
- The Rise of User-Generated Data Labeling - Dec 4, 2019.
Let’s say your project is humongous and needs data labeling to be done continuously - while you’re on-the-go, sleeping, or eating. I’m sure you’d appreciate User-generated Data Labeling. I’ve got 6 interesting examples to help you understand this, let’s dive right in!
- PyTorch in 2019 and where in Europe you can learn about PyTorch in 2020 - Dec 4, 2019.
The Reinforce AI Conference is coming to Budapest again. Join us Apr 6-7 for the conference days, and optionally Apr 8 for workshops. Stefan Otte returns as a speaker, while Francois Chollet joins this time as well.
- Statistical Thinking for Industrial Problem Solving: a free online course - Dec 3, 2019.
This online course is available – for free – to anyone interested in building practical skills in using data to solve problems better.
- Popular Deep Learning Courses of 2019 - Dec 3, 2019.
With deep learning and AI on the forefront of the latest applications and demands for new business directions, additional education is paramount for current machine learning engineers and data scientists. These courses are famous among peers, and will help you demonstrate tangible proof of your new skills.
- Vega-Lite: A grammar of interactive graphics - Dec 3, 2019.
Vega and Vega-lite follow in a long line of work that can trace its roots back to Wilkinson’s ‘The Grammar of Graphics.’ Since then VegaLite has come into existence, bringing high-level specification of interactive visualisations to the Vega-Lite world.
- Data Science Curriculum Roadmap - Dec 3, 2019.
What follows is a set of broad recommendations, and it will inevitably require a lot of adjustments in each implementation. Given that caveat, here are our curriculum recommendations.
- A Non-Technical Reading List for Data Science - Dec 2, 2019.
The world still cannot be reduced to numbers on a page because human beings are still the ones making all the decisions. So, the best data scientists understand the numbers and the people. Check out these great data science books that will make you a better data scientist without delving into the technical details.
- Top 7 Data Science Use Cases in Trust and Security - Dec 2, 2019.
What are trust and safety? What is the role of trust and security in the modern world? Read this overview of 7 data science application use cases in the realm of trust and security.
- Top Stories, Nov 25 – Dec 1: How to Speed up Pandas by 4x with one line of code; Open Source Projects by Google, Uber and Facebook for Data Science and AI - Dec 2, 2019.
Also: Getting Started with Automated Text Summarization; A Doomed Marriage of Machine Learning and Agile; The Future of Careers in Data Science & Analysis; The Future of Careers in Data Science & Analysis; Can Neural Networks Develop Attention? Google Thinks they Can
- Google Open Sources MobileNetV3 with New Ideas to Improve Mobile Computer Vision Models - Dec 2, 2019.
The latest release of MobileNets incorporates AutoML and other novel ideas in mobile deep learning.