- Understanding Bias-Variance Trade-Off in 3 Minutes - Sep 11, 2020.
This article is the write-up of a Machine Learning Lighting Talk, intuitively explaining an important data science concept in 3 minutes.
- Seven Reasons to Take This Course Before You Go Hands-On with Machine Learning - Sep 9, 2020.
Eric Siegel's new course series on Coursera, Machine Learning for Everyone, is for any learner who wishes to participate in the business deployment of machine learning. This end-to-end, three-course series is accessible to business-level learners and yet vital to techies as well. It covers both the state-of-the-art techniques and the business-side best practices.
- 8 AI/Machine Learning Projects To Make Your Portfolio Stand Out - Sep 9, 2020.
If you are just starting down a path toward a career in Data Science, or you are already a seasoned practitioner, then keeping active to advance your experience through side projects is invaluable to take you to the next professional level. These eight interesting project ideas with source code and reference articles will jump start you to thinking outside of the box.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n34, Sep 9: Top Online Data Science Masters Degrees; Modern Data Science Skills: 8 Categories, Core Skills, and Hot Skills - Sep 9, 2020.
Also: Creating Powerful Animated Visualizations in Tableau; PyCaret 2.1 is here: What's new?; How To Decide What Data Skills To Learn; How to Evaluate the Performance of Your Machine Learning Model
- How to Evaluate the Performance of Your Machine Learning Model - Sep 3, 2020.
You can train your supervised machine learning models all day long, but unless you evaluate its performance, you can never know if your model is useful. This detailed discussion reviews the various performance metrics you must consider, and offers intuitive explanations for what they mean and how they work.
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Scikit-Learn - Sep 3, 2020.
Check out these 10 things you didn’t know about Scikit-Learn... until now.
- PyCaret 2.1 is here: What’s new? - Sep 1, 2020.
PyCaret is an open-source, low-code machine learning library in Python that automates the machine learning workflow. It is an end-to-end machine learning and model management tool that speeds up the machine learning experiment cycle and makes you 10x more productive. Read about what's new in PyCaret 2.1.
- Microsoft’s DoWhy is a Cool Framework for Causal Inference - Aug 28, 2020.
Inspired by Judea Pearl’s do-calculus for causal inference, the open source framework provides a programmatic interface for popular causal inference methods.
- 4 ways to improve your TensorFlow model – key regularization techniques you need to know - Aug 27, 2020.
Regularization techniques are crucial for preventing your models from overfitting and enables them perform better on your validation and test sets. This guide provides a thorough overview with code of four key approaches you can use for regularization in TensorFlow.
- DeepMind’s Three Pillars for Building Robust Machine Learning Systems - Aug 24, 2020.
Specification Testing, Robust Training and Formal Verification are three elements that the AI powerhouse believe hold the essence of robust machine learning models.
- Rapid Python Model Deployment with FICO Xpress Insight - Aug 20, 2020.
The biggest hurdle in the use of data to create business value, is indeed the ability to operationalize analytics throughout the organization. Xpress Insight is geared to reduce the burden on IT and address their critical requirements while empowering business users to take ownership of decisions and change management.
- Autotuning for Multi-Objective Optimization on LinkedIn’s Feed Ranking - Aug 19, 2020.
In this post, the authors share their experience coming up with an automated system to tune one of the main parameters in their machine learning model that recommends content on LinkedIn’s Feed, which is just one piece of the community-focused architecture.
- Accelerated Natural Language Processing: A Free Course From Amazon - Aug 19, 2020.
Amazon's Machine Learning University is making its online courses available to the public, starting with this Accelerated Natural Language Processing offering.
- KDD-2020 (virtual), the leading conference on Data Science and Knowledge Discovery, Aug 23-27 – register now - Aug 18, 2020.
Using an interactive VR platform, KDD-2020 brings you the latest research in AI, Data Science, Deep Learning, and Machine Learning with tutorials to improve your skills, keynotes from top experts, workshops on state-of-the-art topics and over 200 research presentations.
- Top Google AI, Machine Learning Tools for Everyone - Aug 18, 2020.
Google is much more than a search company. Learn about all the tools they are developing to help turn your ideas into reality through Google AI.
- Are Computer Vision Models Vulnerable to Weight Poisoning Attacks? - Aug 17, 2020.
A recent paper has explored the possibility of influencing the predictions of a freshly trained Natural Language Processing (NLP) model by tweaking the weights re-used in its training. his result is especially interesting if it proves to transfer also to the context of Computer Vision (CV) since there, the usage of pre-trained weights is widespread.
- Going Beyond Superficial: Data Science MOOCs with Substance - Aug 13, 2020.
Data science MOOCs are superficial. At least, a lot of them are. What are your options when looking for something more substantive?
- Will Reinforcement Learning Pave the Way for Accessible True Artificial Intelligence? - Aug 11, 2020.
Python Machine Learning, Third Edition covers the essential concepts of reinforcement learning, starting from its foundations, and how RL can support decision making in complex environments. Read more on the topic from the book's author Sebastian Raschka.
- 10 Use Cases for Privacy-Preserving Synthetic Data - Aug 11, 2020.
This article presents 10 use-cases for synthetic data, showing how enterprises today can use this artificially generated information to train machine learning models or share data externally without violating individuals' privacy.
- Facebook Uses Bayesian Optimization to Conduct Better Experiments in Machine Learning Models - Aug 10, 2020.
A research from Facebook proposes a Beyasian optimization method to run A/B tests in machine learning models.
- Essential Data Science Tips: How to Use One-Vs-Rest and One-Vs-One for Multi-Class Classification - Aug 6, 2020.
Classification, as a predictive model, involves aligning each class label to examples. Algorithms designed for binary classification cannot be applied to multi-class classification problems. For such situations, heuristic methods come in handy.
- Word Embedding Fairness Evaluation - Aug 5, 2020.
With word embeddings being such a crucial component of NLP, the reported social biases resulting from the training corpora could limit their application. The framework introduced here intends to measure the fairness in word embeddings to better understand these potential biases.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n30, Aug 5: What Employers are Expecting of Data Scientist Role; I have a joke about… - Aug 5, 2020.
Know What Employers are Expecting for a Data Scientist Role in 2020; I have a joke about …; First Steps of a Data Science Project; Why You Should Get Google's New Machine Learning Certificate; Awesome Machine Learning and AI Courses
- Implementing MLOps on an Edge Device - Aug 4, 2020.
This article introduces developers to MLOps and strategies for implementing MLOps on edge devices.
- Setting Up Your Data Science & Machine Learning Capability in Python - Aug 4, 2020.
With the rich and dynamic ecosystem of Python continuing to be a leading programming language for data science and machine learning, establishing and maintaining a cost-effective development environment is crucial to your business impact. So, do you rent or buy? This overview considers the hidden and obvious factors involved in selecting and implementing your Python platform.
- Announcing PyCaret 2.0 - Aug 3, 2020.
PyCaret 2.0 has been released! Find out about all of the updates and see examples of how to use them right here.
- The Machine Learning Field Guide - Aug 3, 2020.
This straightforward guide offers a structured overview of all machine learning prerequisites needed to start working on your project, including the complete data pipeline from importing and cleaning data to modelling and production.
- Awesome Machine Learning and AI Courses - Jul 30, 2020.
Check out this list of awesome, free machine learning and artificial intelligence courses with video lectures.
- A Tour of End-to-End Machine Learning Platforms - Jul 29, 2020.
An end-to-end machine learning platform needs a holistic approach. If you’re interested in learning more about a few well-known ML platforms, you’ve come to the right place!
- Why You Should Get Google’s New Machine Learning Certificate - Jul 29, 2020.
Google is offering a new ML Engineer certificate, geared towards professionals who want to display their competency in topics like distributed model training and scaling to production. Is it worth it?
- Essential Resources to Learn Bayesian Statistics - Jul 28, 2020.
If you are interesting in becoming better at statistics and machine learning, then some time should be invested in diving deeper into Bayesian Statistics. While the topic is more advanced, applying these fundamentals to your work will advance your understanding and success as an ML expert.
- Labelling Data Using Snorkel - Jul 24, 2020.
In this tutorial, we walk through the process of using Snorkel to generate labels for an unlabelled dataset. We will provide you examples of basic Snorkel components by guiding you through a real clinical application of Snorkel.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n28, Jul 22: Data Science MOOCs are too Superficial; The Bitter Lesson of Machine Learning - Jul 22, 2020.
Data Science MOOCs are too Superficial; The Bitter Lesson of Machine Learning; Building a REST API with Tensorflow Serving (Part 1); 3 Advanced Python Features You Should Know; Understanding How Neural Networks Think;
- What I learned from looking at 200 machine learning tools - Jul 21, 2020.
While hundreds of machine learning tools are available today, the ML software landscape may still be underdeveloped with more room to mature. This review considers the state of ML tools, existing challenges, and which frameworks are addressing the future of machine learning software.
- Data Mining and Machine Learning: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms: The Free eBook - Jul 21, 2020.
The second edition of Data Mining and Machine Learning: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms is available to read freely online, and includes a new part on regression with chapters on linear regression, logistic regression, neural networks, deep learning and regression assessment.
- Wrapping Machine Learning Techniques Within AI-JACK Library in R - Jul 17, 2020.
The article shows an approach to solving problem of selecting best technique in machine learning. This can be done in R using just one library called AI-JACK and the article shows how to use this tool.
- Understanding How Neural Networks Think - Jul 16, 2020.
A couple of years ago, Google published one of the most seminal papers in machine learning interpretability.
- The Bitter Lesson of Machine Learning - Jul 15, 2020.
Since that renowned conference at Dartmouth College in 1956, AI research has experienced many crests and troughs of progress through the years. From the many lessons learned during this time, some have needed to be re-learned -- repeatedly -- and the most important of which has also been the most difficult to accept by many researchers.
- 5 Things You Don’t Know About PyCaret - Jul 9, 2020.
In comparison with the other open source machine learning libraries, PyCaret is an alternate low-code library that can be used to replace hundreds of lines of code with a few words only.
- Some Things Uber Learned from Running Machine Learning at Scale - Jul 7, 2020.
Uber machine learning runtime Michelangelo has been in operation for a few years. What has the Uber team learned?
- 5th International Summer School 2020 on Resource-aware Machine Learning (REAML) - Jul 7, 2020.
The Resource-aware Machine Learning summer school provides lectures on the latest research in machine learning, with the twist on resource consumption and how these can be reduced. This year it will be held online between 31st of August and 4th of September, and is free of charge. Register now.
- Deploy Machine Learning Pipeline on AWS Fargate - Jul 3, 2020.
A step-by-step beginner’s guide to containerize and deploy ML pipeline serverless on AWS Fargate.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n25, Jun 24: PyTorch Fundamentals You Should Know; Free Math Courses to Boost Your Data Science Skills - Jun 24, 2020.
A Classification Project in Machine Learning: a gentle step-by-step guide; Crop Disease Detection Using Machine Learning and Computer Vision; Bias in AI: A Primer; Machine Learning in Dask; How to Deal with Missing Values in Your Dataset
- Machine Learning in Dask - Jun 22, 2020.
In this piece, we’ll see how we can use Dask to work with large datasets on our local machines.
- Graph Machine Learning in Genomic Prediction - Jun 19, 2020.
This work explores how genetic relationships can be exploited alongside genomic information to predict genetic traits with the aid of graph machine learning algorithms.
- modelStudio and The Grammar of Interactive Explanatory Model Analysis - Jun 19, 2020.
modelStudio is an R package that automates the exploration of ML models and allows for interactive examination. It works in a model agnostic fashion, therefore is compatible with most of the ML frameworks.
- LightGBM: A Highly-Efficient Gradient Boosting Decision Tree - Jun 18, 2020.
LightGBM is a histogram-based algorithm which places continuous values into discrete bins, which leads to faster training and more efficient memory usage. In this piece, we’ll explore LightGBM in depth.
- Tom Fawcett, in memoriam - Jun 17, 2020.
Foster Provost in memoriam for Tom Fawcett, killed on June 4th in a freak bicycle accident. Tom was a brilliant scholar, a selfless collaborator, a substantial contributor to Data Science for three decades, and a unique individual.
- A Classification Project in Machine Learning: a gentle step-by-step guide - Jun 17, 2020.
Classification is a core technique in the fields of data science and machine learning that is used to predict the categories to which data should belong. Follow this learning guide that demonstrates how to consider multiple classification models to predict data scrapped from the web.
- Best Machine Learning Youtube Videos Under 10 Minutes - Jun 16, 2020.
The Youtube videos on this list cover concepts such as what machine learning is, the basics of natural language processing, how computer vision works, and machine learning in video games.
- Uber’s Ludwig is an Open Source Framework for Low-Code Machine Learning - Jun 15, 2020.
The new framework allow developers with minimum experience to create and train machine learning models.
- Understanding Machine Learning: The Free eBook - Jun 15, 2020.
Time to get back to basics. This week we have a look at a book on foundational machine learning concepts, Understanding Machine Learning: From Theory to Algorithms.
- Deploy a Machine Learning Pipeline to the Cloud Using a Docker Container - Jun 12, 2020.
In this tutorial, we will use a previously-built machine learning pipeline and Flask app to demonstrate how to deploy a machine learning pipeline as a web app using the Microsoft Azure Web App Service.
- Upgrading the Brand Mobile App with Machine Learning - Jun 11, 2020.
The tech progress in mobile app development, as well as digital enhancements, have created new chances for brands to allure and retain customers. In bridging the individualization gap, Machine Learning comes to the rescue.
- How to make AI/Machine Learning models resilient during COVID-19 crisis - Jun 11, 2020.
COVID-19-driven concept shift has created concern over the usage of AI/ML to continue to drive business value following cases of inaccurate outputs and misleading results from a variety of fields. Data Science teams must invest effort in post-model tracking and management as well as deploy an agility in the AI/ML process to curb problems related to concept shift.
- Nitpicking Machine Learning Technical Debt - Jun 8, 2020.
Technical Debt in software development is pervasive. With machine learning engineering maturing, this classic trouble is unsurprisingly rearing its ugly head. These 25 best practices, first described in 2015 and promptly overshadowed by shiny new ML techniques, are updated for 2020 and ready for you to follow -- and lead the way to better ML code and processes in your organization.
Pages: 1 2
- Why Do AI Systems Need Human Intervention to Work Well? - Jun 5, 2020.
All is not well with artificial intelligence-based systems during the coronavirus pandemic. No, the virus does not impact AI – however, it does impact humans, without whom AI and ML systems cannot function properly. Surprised?
- Upcoming Webinars and Online Events in AI, Data Science, Machine Learning: June - Jun 4, 2020.
Here are some interesting upcoming webinar, online events and virtual conferences in in AI, Data Science, and Machine Learning.
- Machine Learning Experiment Tracking - Jun 4, 2020.
Why is experiment tracking so important for doing real world machine learning?
- KDD-2020 – Virtual Only Conference, Aug 23-27 - May 29, 2020.
After much consideration, the General Chairs, Executive Committee and Organizing Committee for KDD 2020 have decided to take the conference fully virtual. Clear your calendar for August 23-27, 2020, and enjoy access to all the virtual content live and on demand the week of the event.
- Model Evaluation Metrics in Machine Learning - May 28, 2020.
A detailed explanation of model evaluation metrics to evaluate a classification machine learning model.
- 5 Machine Learning Papers on Face Recognition - May 28, 2020.
This article will highlight some of that research and introduce five machine learning papers on face recognition.
- Faster machine learning on larger graphs with NumPy and Pandas - May 27, 2020.
One of the most exciting features of StellarGraph 1.0 is a new graph data structure — built using NumPy and Pandas — that results in significantly lower memory usage and faster construction times.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n21, May 27: The Best NLP with Deep Learning Course is Free; Your First Machine Learning Web App - May 27, 2020.
Also: Python For Everybody: The Free eBook; Complex logic at breakneck speed: Try Julia for data science; An easy guide to choose the right Machine Learning algorithm; Dataset Splitting Best Practices in Python; Appropriately Handling Missing Values for Statistical Modelling and Prediction
- Interactive Machine Learning Experiments - May 26, 2020.
Dive into experimenting with machine learning techniques using this open-source collection of interactive demos built on multilayer perceptrons, convolutional neural networks, and recurrent neural networks. Each package consists of ready-to-try web browser interfaces and fully-developed notebooks for you to fine tune the training for better performance.
- Build and deploy your first machine learning web app - May 22, 2020.
A beginner’s guide to train and deploy machine learning pipelines in Python using PyCaret.
- What they do not tell you about machine learning - May 19, 2020.
There's a lot of excitement out there about machine learning jobs. So, it's always good to start off with a healthy dose of reality and proper expectations.
- Linear algebra and optimization and machine learning: A textbook - May 18, 2020.
This book teaches linear algebra and optimization as the primary topics of interest, and solutions to machine learning problems as applications of these methods. Therefore, the book also provides significant exposure to machine learning.
- Automated Machine Learning: The Free eBook - May 18, 2020.
There is a lot to learn about automated machine learning theory and practice. This free eBook can get you started the right way.
- 5 Great New Features in Scikit-learn 0.23 - May 15, 2020.
Check out 5 new features of the latest Scikit-learn release, including the ability to visualize estimators in notebooks, improvements to both k-means and gradient boosting, some new linear model implementations, and sample weight support for a pair of existing regressors.
- AI and Machine Learning for Healthcare - May 14, 2020.
Traditional business and technology sectors are not the only fields being impacted by AI. Healthcare is a field that is thought to be highly suitable for the applications of AI tools and techniques.
- I Designed My Own Machine Learning and AI Degree - May 13, 2020.
With so many pioneering online resources for open education, check out this organized collection of courses you can follow to become a well-rounded machine learning and AI engineer.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n19, May 13: Start Your Machine Learning Career in Quarantine; Will Machine Learning Engineers Exist in 10 Years? - May 13, 2020.
Also: The Elements of Statistical Learning: The Free eBook; Explaining "Blackbox" Machine Learning Models: Practical Application of SHAP; What You Need to Know About Deep Reinforcement Learning; 5 Concepts You Should Know About Gradient Descent and Cost Function; Hyperparameter Optimization for Machine Learning Models
- Machine Learning in Power BI using PyCaret - May 12, 2020.
Check out this step-by-step tutorial for implementing machine learning in Power BI within minutes.
- Start Your Machine Learning Career in Quarantine - May 11, 2020.
While this quarantine can last two months, make the most of it by starting your career in Machine Learning with this 60-day learning plan.
- The Architecture Used at LinkedIn to Improve Feature Management in Machine Learning Models - May 11, 2020.
The new typed feature schema streamlined the reusability of features across thousands of machine learning models.
- 5 Concepts You Should Know About Gradient Descent and Cost Function - May 7, 2020.
Why is Gradient Descent so important in Machine Learning? Learn more about this iterative optimization algorithm and how it is used to minimize a loss function.
- Hyperparameter Optimization for Machine Learning Models - May 7, 2020.
Check out this comprehensive guide to model optimization techniques.
- Beginners Learning Path for Machine Learning - May 5, 2020.
So, you are interested in machine learning? Here is your complete learning path to start your career in the field.
- Getting Started with Spectral Clustering - May 5, 2020.
This post will unravel a practical example to illustrate and motivate the intuition behind each step of the spectral clustering algorithm.
- Optimize Response Time of your Machine Learning API In Production - May 1, 2020.
This article demonstrates how building a smarter API serving Deep Learning models minimizes the response time.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n17, Apr 29: The Super Duper NLP Repo; Free Machine Learning & Data Science Books & Courses for Quarantine - Apr 29, 2020.
Also: Should Data Scientists Model COVID19 and other Biological Events; Learning during a crisis (Data Science 90-day learning challenge); Data Transformation: Standardization vs Normalization; DBSCAN Clustering Algorithm in Machine Learning; Find Your Perfect Fit: A Quick Guide for Job Roles in the Data World
- 10 Best Machine Learning Textbooks that All Data Scientists Should Read - Apr 28, 2020.
Check out these 10 books that can help data scientists and aspiring data scientists learn machine learning today.
- 3 Reasons Why We Are Far From Achieving Artificial General Intelligence - Apr 23, 2020.
How far we are from achieving Artificial General Intelligence? We answer this through the study of three limitations of current machine learning.
- Free High-Quality Machine Learning & Data Science Books & Courses: Quarantine Edition - Apr 22, 2020.
If you find yourself quarantined and looking for free learning materials in the way of books and courses to sharpen your data science and machine learning skills, this collection of articles I have previously written curating such things is for you.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n16, Apr 22: Scaling Pandas with Dask for Big Data; Dive Into Deep Learning: The Free eBook - Apr 22, 2020.
4 Steps to ensure your AI/Machine Learning system survives COVID-19; State of the Machine Learning and AI Industry; A Key Missing Part of the Machine Learning Stack; 5 Papers on CNNs Every Data Scientist Should Read
- Announcing PyCaret 1.0.0 - Apr 21, 2020.
An open source low-code machine learning library in Python. PyCaret is an alternate low-code library that can be used to replace hundreds of lines of code with few words only. This makes experiments exponentially fast and efficient.
- A Key Missing Part of the Machine Learning Stack - Apr 20, 2020.
With many organizations having machine learning models running in production, some are discovering that inefficiencies exists in the first step of the process: feature definition and extraction. Robust feature management is now being realized as a key missing part of the ML stack, and improving it by applying standard software development practices is gaining attention.
- 4 Steps to ensure your AI/Machine Learning system survives COVID-19 - Apr 17, 2020.
Many AI models rely on historical data to make predictions on future behavior. So, what happens when consumer behavior across the planet makes a 180 degree flip? Companies are quickly seeing less value from some AI systems as training data is no longer relevant when user behaviors and preferences change so drastically. Those who are flexible can make it through this crisis in data, and these four techniques will help you stay in front of the competition.
- State of the Machine Learning and AI Industry - Apr 16, 2020.
Enterprises are struggling to launch machine learning models that encapsulate the optimization of business processes. These are now the essential components of data-driven applications and AI services that can improve legacy rule-based business processes, increase productivity, and deliver results. In the current state of the industry, many companies are turning to off-the-shelf platforms to increase expectations for success in applying machine learning.
- Better notebooks through CI: automatically testing documentation for graph machine learning - Apr 16, 2020.
In this article, we’ll walk through the detailed and helpful continuous integration (CI) that supports us in keeping StellarGraph’s demos current and informative.
- Federated Learning: An Introduction - Apr 15, 2020.
Improving machine learning models and making them more secure by training on decentralized data.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n15, Apr 15: How to Do Hyperparameter Tuning on Any Python Script; 10 Must-read Machine Learning Articles - Apr 15, 2020.
Learn how to do hyperparameter tuning on python ML scripts; Read 10 must-read Machine Learning Articles; Understand the process for Data Science project review; see how data science is used to understand COVID-19; and stay safe and healthy!
- Can Java Be Used for Machine Learning and Data Science? - Apr 14, 2020.
While Python and R have become favorites for building these programs, many organizations are turning to Java application development to meet their needs. Read on to see how, and why.
- 10 Must-read Machine Learning Articles (March 2020) - Apr 9, 2020.
This list will feature some of the recent work and discoveries happening in machine learning, as well as guides and resources for both beginner and intermediate data scientists.
- How to Do Hyperparameter Tuning on Any Python Script in 3 Easy Steps - Apr 8, 2020.
With your machine learning model in Python just working, it's time to optimize it for performance. Follow this guide to setup automated tuning using any optimization library in three steps.
- 3 Reasons to Use Random Forest® Over a Neural Network: Comparing Machine Learning versus Deep Learning - Apr 8, 2020.
Both the random forest algorithm and Neural Networks are different techniques that learn differently but can be used in similar domains. Why would you use one over the other?
- 2 Things You Need to Know about Reinforcement Learning – Computational Efficiency and Sample Efficiency - Apr 7, 2020.
Experimenting with different strategies for a reinforcement learning model is crucial to discovering the best approach for your application. However, where you land can have significant impact on your system's energy consumption that could cause you to think again about the efficiency of your computations.
- Mathematics for Machine Learning: The Free eBook - Apr 6, 2020.
Check out this free ebook covering the fundamentals of mathematics for machine learning, as well as its companion website of exercises and Jupyter notebooks.
- More Performance Evaluation Metrics for Classification Problems You Should Know - Apr 3, 2020.
When building and optimizing your classification model, measuring how accurately it predicts your expected outcome is crucial. However, this metric alone is never the entire story, as it can still offer misleading results. That's where these additional performance evaluations come into play to help tease out more meaning from your model.
- Introduction to the K-nearest Neighbour Algorithm Using Examples - Apr 1, 2020.
Read this concise summary of KNN, a supervised and pattern classification learning algorithm which helps us find which class the new input belongs to when k nearest neighbours are chosen and distance is calculated between them.
- Introducing MIDAS: A New Baseline for Anomaly Detection in Graphs - Apr 1, 2020.
From network security to financial fraud, anomaly detection helps protect businesses, individuals, and online communities. To help improve anomaly detection, researchers have developed a new approach called MIDAS.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n13, Apr 1: Effective visualizations for pandemic storytelling; Machine learning for time series forecasting - Apr 1, 2020.
This week, read about the power of effective visualizations for pandemic storytelling; see how (not) to use machine learning for time series forecasting; learn about a deep learning breakthrough: a sub-linear deep learning algorithm that does not need a GPU?; familiarize yourself with how to painlessly analyze your time series; check out what can we learn from the latest coronavirus trends; and... KDnuggets topics?!? Also, much more.
- How (not) to use Machine Learning for time series forecasting: The sequel - Mar 30, 2020.
Developing machine learning predictive models from time series data is an important skill in Data Science. While the time element in the data provides valuable information for your model, it can also lead you down a path that could fool you into something that isn't real. Follow this example to learn how to spot trouble in time series data before it's too late.
- Introduction to Kubeflow MPI Operator and Industry Adoption - Mar 27, 2020.
Kubeflow just announced its first major 1.0 release recently. This post introduces the MPI Operator, one of the core components of Kubeflow, currently in alpha, which makes it easy to run synchronized, allreduce-style distributed training on Kubernetes.
- Deep Learning Breakthrough: a sub-linear deep learning algorithm that does not need a GPU? - Mar 26, 2020.
Deep Learning sits at the forefront of many important advances underway in machine learning. With backpropagation being a primary training method, its computational inefficiencies require sophisticated hardware, such as GPUs. Learn about this recent breakthrough algorithmic advancement with improvements to the backpropgation calculations on a CPU that outperforms large neural network training with a GPU.
- Making sense of ensemble learning techniques - Mar 26, 2020.
This article breaks down ensemble learning and how it can be used for problem solving.
- Diffusion Map for Manifold Learning, Theory and Implementation - Mar 25, 2020.
This article aims to introduce one of the manifold learning techniques called Diffusion Map. This technique enables us to understand the underlying geometric structure of high dimensional data as well as to reduce the dimensions, if required, by neatly capturing the non-linear relationships between the original dimensions.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n12, Mar 25: 24 Best (and Free) Books To Understand Machine Learning; Coronavirus Daily Change and Poll Analysis; 9 lessons learned during 1st year as a Data Scientist - Mar 25, 2020.
Read our analysis of coronavirus data and poll results; Use your time indoors to learn with 24 best and free books to understand Machine Learning; Study the 9 important lessons from the first year as a Data Scientist; Understand the SVM, a top ML algorithm; check a comprehensive list of AI resources for online learning; and more.
- Made With ML: Discover, build, and showcase machine learning projects - Mar 23, 2020.
This is a short introduction to Made With ML, a useful resource for machine learning engineers looking to get ideas for projects to build, and for those looking to share innovative portfolio projects once built.
- Exploring TensorFlow Quantum, Google’s New Framework for Creating Quantum Machine Learning Models - Mar 23, 2020.
TensorFlow Quantum allow data scientists to build machine learning models that work on quantum architectures.
- 24 Best (and Free) Books To Understand Machine Learning - Mar 20, 2020.
We have compiled a list of some of the best (and free) machine learning books that will prove helpful for everyone aspiring to build a career in the field.
- A Top Machine Learning Algorithm Explained: Support Vector Machines (SVM) - Mar 18, 2020.
Support Vector Machines (SVMs) are powerful for solving regression and classification problems. You should have this approach in your machine learning arsenal, and this article provides all the mathematics you need to know -- it's not as hard you might think.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n11, Mar 18: Covid-19, your community, and you – a data science perspective; When Will AutoML replace Data Scientists? Poll Results and Analysis - Mar 18, 2020.
A Data Science perspective on Covid-19, the novel coronavirus; The results and analysis of a previous KDnuggets Poll: When Will AutoML replace Data Scientists? How to build a mature Machine Learning team; The Most Useful Machine Learning Tools of 2020; and more.
- Building a Mature Machine Learning Team - Mar 13, 2020.
After spending a lot of time thinking about the paths that software companies take toward ML maturity, this framework was created to follow as you adopt ML and then mature as an organization. The framework covers every aspect of building a team including product, process, technical, and organizational readiness, as well as recognizes the importance of cross-functional expertise and process improvements for bringing AI-driven products to market.
- The Most Useful Machine Learning Tools of 2020 - Mar 13, 2020.
This articles outlines 5 sets of tools every lazy full-stack data scientist should use.
- Decision Boundary for a Series of Machine Learning Models - Mar 13, 2020.
I train a series of Machine Learning models using the iris dataset, construct synthetic data from the extreme points within the data and test a number of Machine Learning models in order to draw the decision boundaries from which the models make predictions in a 2D space, which is useful for illustrative purposes and understanding on how different Machine Learning models make predictions.
- Few-Shot Image Classification with Meta-Learning - Mar 12, 2020.
Here is how you can teach your model to learn quickly from a few examples.
- Google Open Sources TFCO to Help Build Fair Machine Learning Models - Mar 12, 2020.
A new optimization framework helps to incorporate fairness constraints in machine learning models.
- Software Interfaces for Machine Learning Deployment - Mar 11, 2020.
While building a machine learning model might be the fun part, it won't do much for anyone else unless it can be deployed into a production environment. How to implement machine learning deployments is a special challenge with differences from traditional software engineering, and this post examines a fundamental first step -- how to create software interfaces so you can develop deployments that are automated and repeatable.
- 21 Machine Learning Projects – Datasets Included - Mar 9, 2020.
Upgrading your machine learning, AI, and Data Science skills requires practice. To practice, you need to develop models with a large amount of data. Finding good datasets to work with can be challenging, so this article discusses more than 20 great datasets along with machine learning project ideas for you to tackle today.
- A Crash Course in Game Theory for Machine Learning: Classic and New Ideas - Mar 9, 2020.
Game theory is experiencing a renaissance driven by the evolution of AI. What are some classic and new ideas that data scientists should be aware of.
- Resources for Women in AI, Data Science, and Machine Learning - Mar 8, 2020.
For the international women's day, we feature resources to help more women enter and succeed in AI, Big Data, Data Science, and Machine Learning fields.
- Phishytics – Machine Learning for Detecting Phishing Websites - Mar 6, 2020.
Since phishing is such a widespread problem in the cybersecurity domain, let us take a look at the application of machine learning for phishing website detection.
- Trends in Machine Learning in 2020 - Mar 5, 2020.
Many industries realize the potential of Machine Learning and are incorporating it as a core technology. Progress and new applications of these tools are moving quickly in the field, and we discuss expected upcoming trends in Machine Learning for 2020.
- A simple and interpretable performance measure for a binary classifier - Mar 4, 2020.
Binary classification tasks are the bread and butter of machine learning. However, the standard statistic for its performance is a mathematical tool that is difficult to interpret -- the ROC-AUC. Here, a performance measure is introduced that simply considers the probability of making a correct binary classification.
- The Augmented Scientist Part 1: Practical Application Machine Learning in Classification of SEM Images - Mar 3, 2020.
Our goal here is to see if we can build a classifier that can identify patterns in Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) images, and compare the performance of our classifier to the current state-of-the-art.
- 20 AI, Data Science, Machine Learning Terms You Need to Know in 2020 (Part 2) - Mar 2, 2020.
We explain important AI, ML, Data Science terms you should know in 2020, including Double Descent, Ethics in AI, Explainability (Explainable AI), Full Stack Data Science, Geospatial, GPT-2, NLG (Natural Language Generation), PyTorch, Reinforcement Learning, and Transformer Architecture.
- Uber Unveils a New Service for Backtesting Machine Learning Models at Scale - Mar 2, 2020.
The transportation giant built a new service and architecture for backtesting forecasting models.
- Decision Tree Intuition: From Concept to Application - Feb 27, 2020.
While the use of Decision Trees in machine learning has been around for awhile, the technique remains powerful and popular. This guide first provides an introductory understanding of the method and then shows you how to construct a decision tree, calculate important analysis parameters, and plot the resulting tree.